CrazyBoards.org

Mysterious face-shrinking

A few days ago, I was having a long conversation with a coworker, and her face started shrinking. It just got worse and worse during the time I was talking to her, but I knew it was a hallucination and tried my best to brush it off, focus on her eyes, and continue the conversation. 

I talked to my shrink about it, and he said it sounded less like a hallucination and more like a form of disassociation. 

I've been wondering since if it was disassociation triggered by anxiety (I have a lot of physical health shit going on right now) or a straight-up hallucination. I wasn't necessarily stressed at the time I was talking to her, just more of an underlying, constant worry. 

Do you guys ever get face-shrinking or something like that when you disassociate? Does it sound more like a hallucination or disassociation? Opinions, please! ¡Gracias! 

There's something called Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome. I'm not sure if it's on the dissociation spectrum, necessarily, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. 

I know that, with DID relational size is very fluid. Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome is essentially the non-DID version of the same experience. So... it's possible, I suppose, but I have no answers. It wouldn't surprise me if it was related to anxiety in that way, though.

1 hour ago, WinterRosie said:

There's something called Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome. I'm not sure if it's on the dissociation spectrum, necessarily, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. 

I know that, with DID relational size is very fluid. Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome is essentially the non-DID version of the same experience. So... it's possible, I suppose, but I have no answers. It wouldn't surprise me if it was related to anxiety in that way, though.

Thank you, Rosie. I'll check out this Alice in Wonderland thing. The whole experience was really bizarre. I've disassociated/depersonalized before, but the only thing that looked weird was me, not other people. :/