CrazyBoards.org

Split (the movie)

WHY!??!?!?!?!?!?

This is the worst trope in the world and can we please not exploit people who have already been victimized in a way that clearly demonstrates that the writers have no fucking clue what they're talking about?

Serious cultural appropriation, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

I think it would be a lot more interesting if it was a victim who have DID instead. But that's just me, I clearly don't have the "genius" of a story writer. 

Would also be 500 times more realistic.  Or infinity times more realistic.

• Like 1

I hadn't heard or seen a trailer for this movie. OMG. Once again, movie industry fail. Portraying those with MI's as violent, damaged criminals. Promoting greater understanding of mental illness has never been the priority for the entertainment industry. :angry:

Dr Simone Reinders, a neuroscientist studying DID at King’s College London in collaboration with universities in the Netherlands argues, “They make it seem as if patients with DID are extremely violent and prone to doing bad things. This is actually not true and it very badly misrepresents the psychiatric disorder. Individuals with DID definitely do not have a tendency to be violent; more a tendency to hide their mental health problems. I’m very concerned about the effects that the movie will have for patients with DID, and how the general public will now see these patients. There’s already a lot of stigma and scepticism concerning this specific disorder.”

Interesting review talking about this phenomenon: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/12/cinema-dissociative-personality-disorder-split-james-mcavoy

• Like 1