Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if maybe I should ask the psychiatrist if I have ADHD.

I read an article about ADHD in female and it indicate that it presents very differently from others. The most major symptoms are depress & anxiety with inattentive, but other than that they really don't align with the symptoms of what ADHD is usually perceive to be. 

Are there any females here who can share their symptoms of ADHD and how much it differs from Men they know that has ADHD? Is it really that dramatically different from males? 

Anyway this is the article.... http://www.philly.com/philly/health/womenshealth/20161120_ADHD_in_women__A_lifetime_of_frustration__its_cause_easily_missed.html?photo_2

I do wonder if a lot of my anxiety and depression may be caused by ADHD or if it's only anxiety/depression.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I understand (and what I've read) females have less hyperactivity when it comes to ADHD (they have more the symptoms of inattention/focus - can be scattered & disorganized) so it is often more difficult to diagnose (because it is more hidden).

I have suspected ADD (primarily inattentive) but it manifests itself (and becomes most problematic) in work/school environments (I have terrible attention to detail and inability to focus on routine tasks that I find mundane). I struggle to read and remember passages from books (unless I am super super interested in the topic). Struggled in school (although always tested well and scored high on aptitude tests, but I'd constantly procrastinate, always late to classes, often missing assignments/papers) "spacing out" in lectures, losing track of time, missing appointments, misplacing items daily. Typical underachiever. My self-esteem & productivity has greatly suffered because of this.

My primary issue & diagnosis is depression (with anxiety) and the ADD diagnosis is secondary (plan to work on this when I'm back to fulltime employment - but just dealing with it at the moment unmedicated). You can take several "self-assessment" tests online and bring into your pdoc. They will typically do a longer, more thorough assessment and interview in person. Hope this helps!

Edited by cloudmonger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

From what I understand (and what I've read) females have less hyperactivity when it comes to ADHD (they have more the symptoms of inattention/focus - can be scattered & disorganized) so it is often more difficult to diagnose (because it is more hidden).

I have suspected ADD (primarily inattentive) but it manifests itself (and becomes most problematic) in work/school environments (I have terrible attention to detail and inability to focus on routine tasks that I find mundane). I struggle to read and remember passages from books (unless I am super super interested in the topic). Struggled in school (although always tested well and scored high on aptitude tests, but I'd constantly procrastinate, always late to classes, often missing assignments/papers) "spacing out" in lectures, losing track of time, missing appointments, misplacing items daily. Typical underachiever. My self-esteem & productivity has greatly suffered because of this.

My primary issue & diagnosis is depression (with anxiety) and the ADD diagnosis is secondary (plan to work on this when I'm back to fulltime employment - but just dealing with it at the moment unmedicated). You can take several "self-assessment" tests online and bring into your pdoc. They will typically do a longer, more thorough assessment and interview in person. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the response. 

My attention issue has gotten really bad... I mean I was never perfect at paying attention, but I could read a book, do a study book, write out notes tied to the textbook. I am just not sure where healthy level of poor attention (just not interested) vs an attentive issue. 

I procrastinate a lot these days... I have no fire under my ass to do what I have to. I use to be able to make a list and then follow it. I misplace items a lot and I am scattered brained. 

I am just not sure if this is depression (because I am in a blah situation) or if maybe this continual energy for the last 4 years is a sign that maybe it's not really depression/anxiety, but that it is really a possibility of ADHD presentation in females. 

I have a hearing disorder ( I mostly grew out of with a lot of medical help) that can also portray itself as ADHD in females. So could always just be the lingering symptoms of that mixed with depression/anxiety or as I said ADHD. I will see what the doctor says. 

 

Appreciate the response and you sharing your experience. But, whether I have it or not...I think understanding it more will help me when I interact with someone with ADHD in personal or career life to...so it's not a waste of my time to explore if I really have this or not with a doctor's assistance. 

5 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

This book is pretty outdated by now when it comes to a lot of the medical aspects but it's still spot on regarding a lot of the sociological ones.  

 

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Attention-Deficit-Disorder-Differences-ebook/dp/B008RDNRXE

Thank you for referring this book to me. I didn't know there be a book like this out on the market. I'll check it out. 

I see the psychiatrist near the end of January. 

Edited by CherryBlossom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2017 at 7:49 PM, nervousbat said:

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't gotten a clear diagnosis of ADHD (I suspect inattentive) from a doctor yet but it's been suggested to me by a counsellor that I do. I have a lot of the things that are mentioned here by others, difficulty staying focused, forgetting and losing important things, the usual stuff, and a long history of it. I don't know if it's the anxiety or trouble sleeping I have that causes me to have ADHD-like symptoms, nor do I know if my experiences are on a normal level or in the ADHD spectrum. I'm actually going to the doctor and will ask her for an opinion because it really annoys me not knowing. It's also frustrating because I really want to know but don't know how useful that will be for me in the end since I've gone this far without treatment. Alright sorry for rambling, good luck to you!

Understand what you are feeling. Been having bad anxiety and depression with suicidal thoughts. Thought of bringing it up. But, I might wait to see the affect of new meds and see if that deals with the issue....if it continues then I know maybe it's ADHD. But there are other issues too... lack of focus in life on a grand scale/no direction. Not sure if I just lack skills/talent/abilities to really find a passion or if it's something more like poor attention/focus issues. 

Edited by CherryBlossom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was diagnosed with ADD at the same time as anxiety and depression (at age 12), and I never "grew out of it" or anything like that, and I was never hyperactive. 

I have to keep a color-coded calendar with little alarms for things just to be able to work. My desk is perpetually a mess. 

In high school, my grades slipped (after straight As until then), but I graduated nonetheless. In college, I did a lot better. Maybe because I was focused on art, which interested me more than, say, math (my arch nemesis). I did do poorly in most art-history classes (lots of memorization), but I got As in everything else pretty much. 

I forget things all the time and have all my bills set up for autopay, or I'll forget about them. For months. If my cats didn't meow at me, I'd forget to feed them. I always forget to make dinner until my husband complains he's hungry at like 8pm. I get too into whatever I'm doing. 

I think the hardest part for me is hyper-focusing. I get so into what I'm up to that everything else just falls away. It's worse with anxiety, as I hyper-focus on what's bothering me and forget about everything else or can't focus at work. 

My med cocktail helps a lot. I take 30mgs of Adderall in addition to antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. I also have hallucinations as of a year and a half ago, so I take Abilify for that  

It's definitely worth checking into if it could improve your quality of life. 

Edited by heilmania
Whoops
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, heilmania said:

I get too into whatever I'm doing. 

I think the hardest part for me is hyper-focusing. I get so into what I'm up to that everything else just falls away. It's worse with anxiety, as I hyper-focus on what's bothering me and forget about everything else or can't focus at work. 

My med cocktail helps a lot. I take 30mgs of Adderall in addition to antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. I also have hallucinations as of a year and a half ago, so I take Abilify for that  

It's definitely worth checking into if it could improve your quality of life. 

The hyperfocusing - is that also a symptom of ADD, Anxiety or is it a side effect from taking a med like Adderall?

I've been wondering this lately, because I also have a problem "hyperfocusing" on negative thoughts and irrelevant things that distract me from what I should be doing - important daily tasks, etc.

Edited by cloudmonger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, heilmania said:

I was diagnosed with ADD at the same time as anxiety and depression (at age 12), and I never "grew out of it" or anything like that, and I was never hyperactive. 

I have to keep a color-coded calendar with little alarms for things just to be able to work. My desk is perpetually a mess. 

In high school, my grades slipped (after straight As until then), but I graduated nonetheless. In college, I did a lot better. Maybe because I was focused on art, which interested me more than, say, math (my arch nemesis). I did do poorly in most art-history classes (lots of memorization), but I got As in everything else pretty much. 

I forget things all the time and have all my bills set up for autopay, or I'll forget about them. For months. If my cats didn't meow at me, I'd forget to feed them. I always forget to make dinner until my husband complains he's hungry at like 8pm. I get too into whatever I'm doing. 

I think the hardest part for me is hyper-focusing. I get so into what I'm up to that everything else just falls away. It's worse with anxiety, as I hyper-focus on what's bothering me and forget about everything else or can't focus at work. 

My med cocktail helps a lot. I take 30mgs of Adderall in addition to antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. I also have hallucinations as of a year and a half ago, so I take Abilify for that  

It's definitely worth checking into if it could improve your quality of life. 

Thank you for sharing your store. I can very much relate:

1. I do remember my bills and I obsess/become depress if my bills aren't paid. So that's a positive the self-guilt makes me remember

2. My short term memory is crappy... my long term is very good. My forgetful-ness is more like misplacing stuff. So I can't find my keys now and I have no memory where I placed it. I sometimes am the lady who forget where her glasses are just to have it on her head. 

3. I do hyperfocus....I get really into something and I research it like crazy. Then to fall out of interest in like 2 weeks. I get bored/apathetic very quickly. 

4. I have forgotten to feed myself because of me becoming so focus.

5. Upset that nothing holds my interest for long....

I just am not sure what is really depression/anxiety because these could be symptoms of depression and/or even anxiety. 

Anti-depressants help me the most. But the Hyperfocus then become bored....continues even without the ant-depressant. I have central auditory processing disorder. So I didn't have normal hearing until age 12/13...this is like 10 years late. I am not sure if this is a continual effect because it can be hard to tell the difference between the two disorders especially in females. But, they can even come together as a pair. 

But, I have been around some females that are ADHD and I can't really relate to their "struggles" either... so idk what is wrong with me. Maybe I do have ADHD but it's on the more mild or is it just the issue of central auditory processing disorder and now having to deal with constant auditory sounds. 

The not finding anything to really capture my attention for more than (at most) 3 months could just possibly (also) be a sign of just not really having any talents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

The hyperfocusing - is that also a symptom of ADD, Anxiety or is it a side effect from taking a med like Adderall?

I've been wondering this lately, because I also have a problem "hyperfocusing" on negative thoughts and irrelevant things that distract me from what I should be doing - important daily tasks, etc.

From what I understand, hyperfocusing can be part of ADD. It can also be part of anxiety, when it's the bad stuff, or OCD. Definitely not due to the Adderall for me. Adderall helps me focus, but not THAT intensely. Just kind of let's other off-topic thoughts come and go more easily instead of being completely distracted by them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, heilmania said:

From what I understand, hyperfocusing can be part of ADD. It can also be part of anxiety, when it's the bad stuff, or OCD. Definitely not due to the Adderall for me. Adderall helps me focus, but not THAT intensely. Just kind of let's other off-topic thoughts come and go more easily instead of being completely distracted by them. 

Yeah it's really confusing for me. When i was on Ritalin, the Hyperfocus on the negative thoughts seemed to go away.....I became hyperfocused on Ritalin, however, it was on more important/productive things!! As a result, the Ritalin helped with my depression/anxiety. I was able to do things without overthinking everything and procrastinating.

It's very bizarre, pdocs tell me that my obsessive/hyperfocused ruminations are due to my depression/anxiety (never been diagnosed with OCD) However, because the Ritalin helped - some pdocs think I am also ADD (because they say Ritalin would increase my anxiety or focus if I was simply depressed & anxious). do you see what I mean? I am so confused!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have OCD.... I think as long as the med is treating mostly all your symptoms it is a win-win. 

I mean my hyperfocusing isn't really in-line with my OCD. My OCD mostly hoards cleaning supplies and goes crazy with bleach. 

I also get very depress and suicidal if something is not clean or becomes messy again. It is like a vicious cycle I swear. 

I also get obsessional over laxatives. 

My obsession from my OCD is around food and contamination (especially hair). Then it leads into other stuff if I feed into it. So sometimes I just keep my house messy because my family just destroys it.....think it's better I hate the messiness/wig out than to get horrible depress because it gets messy again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you think you might have ADD *Adhd whatever I think its a good idea to get tested because treatment does seem to help SO and while I'm not ADD I take a small dose of adderall to keep me from konking out all the time and it helps me focus on things better.   So I can see how it would improve things if you weren't able to stay on topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2017 at 10:32 PM, CherryBlossom said:

Are there any females here who can share their symptoms of ADHD and how much it differs from Men they know that has ADHD? Is it really that dramatically different from males? 

My brother and I both have ADHD (combined type) with Learning Disorders; him with Dyslexia/Dyspraxia and me Dyscalculia/Dyspraxia. Yet my brother received help over 10 years before I did. Why? He was the stereotypical "hyperactive" while I wasn't. We both have hyperactivity though including leg-bouncing, stimulation seeking (chewing, fidgeting. etc.), impulsiveness, etc. However his ADHD also manifested as running around in circles and getting into fights, while mine manifested internally causing anxiety and restlessness. Having Social Anxiety as a kid also made me way more self-conscious and aware of unwanted "attention" that my brother often received because of his behavior.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:29 AM, cloudmonger said:

From what I understand (and what I've read) females have less hyperactivity when it comes to ADHD (they have more the symptoms of inattention/focus - can be scattered & disorganized) so it is often more difficult to diagnose (because it is more hidden).

I also think females tend to internalize their hyperactivity causing unstereotypical symptoms like anxiety, worry, or restlessness which often gets dismissed as "moodiness". I think just as many women are hyperactive and combined types, but fail to get recognized as such and are considered purely inattentive, because the failure to understand different manifestations of hyperactivity.

On 1/23/2017 at 4:15 AM, heilmania said:

I have to keep a color-coded calendar with little alarms for things just to be able to work. My desk is perpetually a mess. 

In high school, my grades slipped (after straight As until then), but I graduated nonetheless. In college, I did a lot better. Maybe because I was focused on art, which interested me more than, say, math (my arch nemesis). I did do poorly in most art-history classes (lots of memorization), but I got As in everything else pretty much. 

I forget things all the time and have all my bills set up for autopay, or I'll forget about them. For months. If my cats didn't meow at me, I'd forget to feed them. I always forget to make dinner until my husband complains he's hungry at like 8pm. I get too into whatever I'm doing. 

I think the hardest part for me is hyper-focusing. I get so into what I'm up to that everything else just falls away. It's worse with anxiety, as I hyper-focus on what's bothering me and forget about everything else or can't focus at work.

I have a very similar representation and could write the same for myself! I made great grades (besides math) in Grade and Middle school, but burnt out by High School. Getting and keeping good marks was twice as hard as most kids, and I literally didn't have the capacity to keep at it by high school. I'm almost 30 years old and my life depends on color-coded calendars, post-it notes, and to-do lists.

On 1/23/2017 at 4:21 AM, cloudmonger said:

The hyperfocusing - is that also a symptom of ADD, Anxiety or is it a side effect from taking a med like Adderall?

I've been wondering this lately, because I also have a problem "hyperfocusing" on negative thoughts and irrelevant things that distract me from what I should be doing - important daily tasks, etc.

I think it's important here to identify the difference between hyperfocusing and ruminating. Hyperfocusing is when you are focused on a single task so intensely that nothing else around you, including time and bodily functions (like being hungry or having to pee), exist. Rumination is when you focus all your attention on a distressing thought, thinking about every possible different outcome over and over. Ruminating is common in anxiety, and can definitely be distracting, but is not necessarily caused by a deficit of regulating attention.

**Not saying what you are experiencing is one or the other, but the difference can be helpful in finding out the cause and treatment.**

On 1/23/2017 at 4:31 AM, CherryBlossom said:

Anti-depressants help me the most. But the Hyperfocus then become bored....continues even without the ant-depressant. I have central auditory processing disorder. So I didn't have normal hearing until age 12/13...this is like 10 years late. I am not sure if this is a continual effect because it can be hard to tell the difference between the two disorders especially in females. But, they can even come together as a pair. 

But, I have been around some females that are ADHD and I can't really relate to their "struggles" either... so idk what is wrong with me. Maybe I do have ADHD but it's on the more mild or is it just the issue of central auditory processing disorder and now having to deal with constant auditory sounds. 

The not finding anything to really capture my attention for more than (at most) 3 months could just possibly (also) be a sign of just not really having any talents. 

From my understanding, Central Auditory processing Disorder is also a brain-based/developmental condition and not a hearing one. If that is correct then maybe your CAPD is causing the ADHD symptoms or you have a comorbidity? I certainly can't tell if you are experiencing ADHD or not, but I do know how complicated sifting through all the nuts can be.

ADHD affects each person so differently, that it can be hard to relate to people with the same disorder.

I don't think switching through interests is because of not having any talents. I think that's self-defeating and a bit stigmatizing to yourself. Getting caught up in projects and then 'abandoning'/getting bored/whatever is a common occurrence of ADHD and other developmental disorders. I can't tell you how much money, time, and effort I put in different projects over the years that I never finished, pushed aside, or never even started.

On 1/23/2017 at 7:16 AM, heilmania said:

From what I understand, hyperfocusing can be part of ADD. It can also be part of anxiety, when it's the bad stuff, or OCD. Definitely not due to the Adderall for me. Adderall helps me focus, but not THAT intensely. Just kind of let's other off-topic thoughts come and go more easily instead of being completely distracted by them. 

Same here. Stimulants don't make me hyperfocus but also don't help me NOT hyperfocus. Instead of spending a ridiculous amount of time on a single project, they help my ability to switch my focus more easily.

On 1/23/2017 at 0:24 PM, cloudmonger said:

Yeah it's really confusing for me. When i was on Ritalin, the Hyperfocus on the negative thoughts seemed to go away.....I became hyperfocused on Ritalin, however, it was on more important/productive things!! As a result, the Ritalin helped with my depression/anxiety. I was able to do things without overthinking everything and procrastinating.

It's very bizarre, pdocs tell me that my obsessive/hyperfocused ruminations are due to my depression/anxiety (never been diagnosed with OCD) However, because the Ritalin helped - some pdocs think I am also ADD (because they say Ritalin would increase my anxiety or focus if I was simply depressed & anxious). do you see what I mean? I am so confused!

Like before, I think ruminations in anxiety and hyperfocus in ADHD differ. But I think they can also be connected or overlap.

Stimulants help my Social Anxiety in very similar ways. Instead of processing every single sound/conversation/person around me in social situations, Stimulants help me focus my attention on the task at hand (i.e. grocery shopping) so I don't ruminate on EVERYTHING around me that causes anxiety.

Sometimes also, I think it's hard to focus (or hyperfocus) on tasks because I'm processing everything too fast/too much at a time. Stimulants help filter out the unimportant and organize the important, so I can sit down and focus on a task.

Honestly though, Stimulants can also help people with depression and other MI when they are not ADHD. It is very confusing and tricky.

Edited by Sloane
why the merge?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy crap that was long! I'll come back and try to make it more ADHD-readable-friendly.*

Ironically enough, I'm day 3 of a cold-turkey cut of Vyvanse. Because why? I forgot I needed an appt. to fill my RX this time around, and managed the appt. so horribly that I have to wait a week to get it filled.

Ze life of ADHD...

 

*I edited to include colors and italics, to help read.

It isn't as long as it looks as most of the post is quotes.

Edited by Sloane
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Sloane said:

Holy crap that was long! I'll come back and try to make it more ADHD-readable-friendly.*

Ironically enough, I'm day 3 of a cold-turkey cut of Vyvanse. Because why? I forgot I needed an appt. to fill my RX this time around, and managed the appt. so horribly that I have to wait a week to get it filled.

Ze life of ADHD...

 

*I edited to include colors and italics, to help read.

It isn't as long as it looks as most of the post is quotes.

Omg yes to forgetting to make an appointment, then screwing up when I get in to see the doc. I went without Adderall for like two weeks recently. IT DOESN'T HELP WHEN IT WEARS OFF, HEILMANIA!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know, right?! I've been getting 2 month scripts so this was bound to happen at least once. I'm not surprised, but frustrated as hell!

I've JUST started to get my schedule back on track after it was demolished from the holidays (yeah, it's February!) and then BAM no stim for a week. Doing the best I can with staying organized, but...ahhhkgh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...