CrazyBoards.org

I don't know where to put this but I belong here.

Lately I have been rocking back and forth, side to side, sometimes just my head. I am in bed trying to sleep.  It works.

But I feel weird about it. It makes me feel crazy.

Anybody else do this.    

FYI  this is Dragonfly23.    My other account is messed up.  

Yeah, I did it a little bit every now and then. I think it was a reaction to anxiety and worries. It's funny beside it can make a person is "crazy" in certain situations and then there's other times where it's totally acceptable and it's treated like the wind with people. A popular one I have is rocking back and forth in a chair at a computer. Ones have have the pivotal movement. That's quite pleasant and socially acceptable.

• Like 2

At work it's leg bouncing.  Hidden beneath a desk.   I get going pretty fast in bed.  It's like I create chaos and then when I stop my head is quiet.  Glad to know I am not alone. ?

• Like 1

I do this in bed to get relief from akathisia.  Side to side. A bit like you'd rock a baby lol. 

It works whilst I'm doing it and it's a few minutes before the urge to move kicks in again after I've stopped it. 

• Like 2

I LOVE to rock in a rocking chair.  I could do it all day.  Calms me down.

• Like 1

Yes I do this when my akathisia is acting up and I'm not up pacing around. It's my sign to take a Cogentin.

Edited by mikrw33
  • Like 2

I do this too. Particularly in class, cos it helps me concentrate. Good thing I'm a grad student in anthropology; idiosyncrasies are well tolerated. :)

Edited by aura
  • Like 2

I literally did this in class today and it was sooo bad. I felt claustrophobic being in the classroom, not able to pace or jog like I felt like I needed to. Also, I bounced my leg too.

• Like 2

I do that, not always, and less that I used to, but whether to fall asleep or when really anxious (and alone), I just find it comforting. I think it would "look" weird so I control it around people, but otherwise, it is rather harmless?

• Like 2

Yay  I feel so much better.  I find myself rocking back and forth standing up.  That I can control.  But this new way to fall asleep seemed odd.  Takes a few rounds and then I crash.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aura said:

I do this too. Particularly in class, cos it helps me concentrate. Good thing I'm a grad student in anthropology; idiosyncrasies are well tolerated. :)

That explains my coworker! She's an anthropologist. :P 

I'm bouncing my legs as I type. If I'm sitting with my legs crossed, then I rock. In bed, I thrash (see video below lol). When I'm standing in one place I rock side to side. Or I just pace around. In meetings, I always sit in the chair with wheels and just twist around in the chair. I can't be still. I find doing these things very soothing.

When my ex and I saw this episode we realized that I am Tina Belcher. :P

Edited by iaawal
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, dragonfly23 said:

@iaawal  yes! Thrash is a better word.   Can you imagine if we were all in the same room at one time.       Hehehe

@aura @Dphxa @inabook @Bimbo Bear @mikrw33 @melissaw72 @Eilatan @Cale

@Southern Discomfort

LOL ... I don't even have words to say ...

• Like 3

If we all thrash together we can generate electricity and sell it to the power companies lol 

Forget wind power... we have thrash power!

Edited by Eilatan
  • Like 3

I used to like rocking in a rocking chair whenever I played music. But that was before the iPod came along and when music came out of stereo speakers.

24 minutes ago, Eilatan said:

If we all thrash together we can generate electricity and sell it to the power companies lol 

Forget wind power... we have thrash power!

Lmao 

I bought an actual rocking chair last week for my house. Sooooo gooooood. And I've decided it counts as low-level exercise too. If you rock vigorously for an hour or two while watching Netflix you do feel a noticeable mild endorphin buzz, like yoga.

Rocking chairs for all - on prescription!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr_Turtle said:

Rocking chairs for all - on prescription!

They should be!

Maybe insurance would even cover them LOL

I think it's normal to rock back and forward when really freaked out and worried, pacing too. like... not just for MI but non MI do this sometimes I've noticed.

i had untreated awful pain for a year and by the end I was so stressed I would pace around and talk to myself a lot. Pdoc said it was just from the stress of that physical problem, not MI. 

If we do something weird to calm ourselves, no need to feel bad, if it helps you and doesn't hurt.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cyclingsarah
      Just wondering. I have a lot of anxiety and am startinh lithium for bipolar disorder in a few weeks
    • By PurplePaisley
      I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.
      Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.
      In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.
      New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 
      I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.
      I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 
      I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.
      Purple

• By mikl_pls
      I've been relatively stable with a few jags here and there for almost 2 years, and suddenly I'm experiencing some depression that has me in tears at times, as well as anxiety that results in panic attacks so bad that I feel like I can't breathe. I'm very emotionally labile, reactive to any trigger, sending me to seclusion with my depression.
      The only thing that has changed is that I swapped Dexedrine to Bontril-PDM for my weight management (and with Bontril-PDM, off-label ADHD management, idiopathic hypersomnia management, and treatment of refractory bipolar depression). I'm thinking this may be the trigger, but I needed to take a break from Dexedrine because my receptors were too desensitized to it and I was starting to gain weight, sleep all day, become very inattentive (like almost having wrecks kind of inattentive), and feel a little depressed. So I may have identified my trigger, but I need to take a good break from Dexedrine so when I resume it, it will work as it did when I first started it.
      My question is how does one prevent depression (neurochemical, not cognitive)? Is there something that can be temporarily added to my cocktail? I see my pdoc Friday. I have tried lithium and it causes seizures. Depakote makes me a zombie. Lamictal causes horrendous acne. I'd rather not add a second antipsychotic. Increasing the antidepressants seem to do nothing. 
      Should I just get back on Dexedrine ASAP? Or continue to give it a break and try other alternatives? I thought about trying Ritalin again, but a much higher dose than I've tried before, like 40-60 mg in Metadate CD form (the only form I felt anything from with methylphenidate). Concerta and regular Ritalin are useless, and I've heard bad things about Ritalin LA.
      Any responses or insight would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!  
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

• By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      So I've been depressed and have had severe anxiety for 3 years. Antidepressants make me hypomanic (kinda) and triggers unstable mood. I don't fit in the usual description of bipolar, but there is definitely something not right about the way i react to antidepressants - feeling high, warm, racing thoughts x 100, gets overly chatty etc. 

I've tried the following moodstabilizers
      Lamotrigine (disaster)
      Trileptal
      Gabapentin
      Abilify (made me hypomanic)
      Seroquel (made me hypomanic)
      Depakote/valproate (still taking)

This depression is killing me, but my p.doc. won't prescribe me lithium. Tried two different doctors. What are your thoughts?