CrazyBoards.org

Himalayan Salt Lamps - Has anyone used one of these as a complimentary thing?

Or Salt Therapy? 

Therapy for what? Fear of the dark? They make very pretty night lights. I've thought of getting one for my little nephew, who likes rocks and is scared of the dark.

• Like 1

Salt lamps are essentially ion-type air cleaners. They ostensibly work by drawing moisture and ions into the lamp. The moisture evaporates, but the ions stay in. Andrew Weil, a pretty common sense woo-woo physician, says there's a couple of very small studies that ion-generators can help with anxiety and seasonal affective disorder, but ultimately:

If you want to bring a Himalayan salt lamp into your home, choose one for its decorative value, not because you expect it to produce negative ions or improve your health.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses :)

I just noticed there's a Salt Therapy centre and they advertise therapy for mood disorders. I'm pretty skeptical but I wondered if there was maybe some untapped magic here. I think I'll pass. It looks like something I'd like to lick...

I think like wooster said, if you like their aesthetic then its definitely worth getting one & seeing if you notice any difference.
Irrelevantly, but still to do with the salt lamp I had a correlation between getting one a few years ago that I keep by my bed & not experiencing hayfever. Probably unrelated but they just seem to coincide. I think its worth trying different things like this as long as you don't put too much stock in them. Salt lamps are beautiful and create a really nice ambience that can be soothing, IMO.