CrazyBoards.org

How do you cope with loss of interest?

I'm not in the throes of depression lately, but instead on the more mild side. I feel a loss of emotion right now which, if I described it, feels flat and grey. I'm not happy, sad, or even angry. Just blank with the tiniest of other emotions making themselves present if the situation calls for them. I've been trying to figure out what to do with myself these past few days, but I'm not sure. Right now I feel like I've lost interest in a lot of things I might otherwise find enjoyable. I know others have experienced this too, so I needed to ask: How do you guys cope with this symptom of depression?

• Like 1

Hey Bimbo.. sorry i laugh when i say your name. I know what you are describing.. it sort of feels like what the weather is right now, blah. I try hard to start hobbies or just let time pass until the emotion fades. it's not a good feeling. If i am forced to go out  , i sort of just am in a daze and feel flat like you describe. Do you like watching any kind of shows or start series...or what about projects around the house? I don't want to say the way i cope with depression is sleeping because that probably isn't the best answer to give you . But if it was summertime i would have a lot more advice to give you. Just know nothing lasts forever. Hang in there!

• Like 1

I don't have any advice, but wanted you to know that you aren't alone.

I can not come out of it when I have no interest of doing anything.  I have felt like this for years now.  I do get things done, but I just don't have any interest in doing things I used to normally like doing. I get done what has to be done.  Minimal.

Sometimes in a deep depression getting up to go to bed is a chore.  And hardly anything gets done.  For that I have to wait it out. 

A med tweak might "help" the lack of interest, but it won't help too much.

• Like 1

I know so much of this is easier said than done, and with depression it's even harder to make yourself try to 'enjoy' or feel like doing anything...

But my suggestion would be to try to switch things up a bit if you can... for example if you normally like to read, maybe try an audiobook or graphic novel? Maybe just write some stuff to get it out of your head and give you something to do? I tend to clean a lot when I have no interest in hobbies. Or just put music on... spend time with my kitty, etc.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes you just can't do much...  hopefully you'll feel more like yourself again soon.

Edited by her-escape

I wish I had some good advice for you but just wanted to let you know that this is not uncommon, unfortunately. I can't really get myself interested in anything, and when you add anxiety into the mix, things can get pretty hard. Anhedonia (and bored restlessness) really sucks. TV and internet are forms of escapism that I use because they are easy. I just have to sit or lay down and try to pass the time. Although, admittedly, it can be hard to even get interested in TV unless whatever I'm watching is really, really good. I think I've already watched most of the good stuff on Netflix. As far as internet, I can only usually get a couple hours out of it until I run out of stuff to look at/ get bored. I feel like I'm running out of stuff to do. I think I might try to pick up a book but even that feels like it takes so much effort. I hope things get better for you.