CrazyBoards.org

Martial artists suck!

madmax15

That's fucking asinine. It's not only for self defense.

It's a sport. It's really good exercise. It can be relaxing, or stimulating. It can help with every day life. I was in martial arts as a child and it taught me discipline, respect and how to be a good winner/fair loser. 

It's much, much more than just beating the shit out of someone. Way more. Get some education on a topic before spewing bullshit about it.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Southern Discomfort said:

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm since the fact that you really haven't had to use those skills in a real life situation is a really good thing. 

I actually thought about learning a martial art but I thought what would be the point of putting all that effort in and only use once or twice in my lifetime? I don't think I have even been in a real fist fight since high school.

Martial arts is a discipline. As San has mentioned, people train in it like a sport and for exercise.

I think what you want to do is to take some self defense classes. Self defense classes employ a number of techniques only a few of which are taken from martial arts.

madmax -

Sun Tzu, a military strategist and philosopher from the 5th century BCE, wrote a treatise called The Art of War that is considered by some one of the most profound and influential books on martial conflict in the world. In it, Sun Tzu tells us that the greatest of warriors achieves victory without a single stroke.

I studied martial arts not so that I could learn to harm someone else, but so that I could learn not to. I have studied fencing, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and some MMA including ground fighting, so that I could teach myself self-control - so that I could sharpen and strengthen my mind.

People use martial arts for exercise as well, to strengthen the body. To be effective, one doesn't learn it and then abandon it; one practices it every day so that the benefits of strength and ease of motion, of both peace of mind and sharpness of mind, persist. The point is not to seek out conflict, but to build within yourself the confidence to know that others are not a threat to you, and thus be at peace.

Perhaps, if you do this, you will not feel a need to lash out at people you do not understand.

madmax-

As a martial artist for over 18 years (well over 2/3 my own life), I would invite you to think before you say that martial artists suck. Here's why

Martial arts isn't just about self defence in a physical sense. It's also about self empowerment, self discipline, and learning tools that help you interact with the world at large. It teaches physical flexibility as well as adaptability of the mind.

The two martial arts I've studied the longest are ITF/Traditional Tae Kwon Do and Shaolin (Chinese) Kempo. I've also been fortunate enough to study Aikido, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and Kajukenbo.  What my instructors stress and have emphasized above all else is that martial arts is more than just punching, kicking, blocking, and the ability to defend yourself. It's also the ability to apply the Five Tenets (from Tae Kwon Do) or the Five Principles (from Shaolin Kempo) to training and your every day life. The Tenets are Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit. The Principles are Effort, Etiquette, Sincerity, Self Control, and Character. Without the Tenets or Principles, you're given tools and knowledge that can do a hell of a lot of damage, and potentially kill someone- and you're a walking liability. As a martial arts instructor, I wouldn't dare teach a student a potentially lethal technique without knowing they have some level of control, both of their body and their minds first and foremost.  If I found out that *any* of my students were using the techniques I taught them to beat the shit out of other people "for fun" there would be consequences

When training with a partner in the dojo, it's not full force knockdown and knockout contact. It's about learning in a controlled environment and controlling your reactions so that if my partner does hit me I don't go ballistic and strike them back out of anger and injure them severely. On my rank tests when I've been at it for 4 hours and I'm tired, it's about digging deeper and not giving up, and continuing to persevere through those moments of "I am exhausted and I want to quit."  Which translates to life in moments of "I've been fighting with my MI for months and I'm not seeing a lot of improvement. I want to give up, but I'm not a quitter."  It's having the discipline to get off my ass and go to class when I don't feel like it. Which translates to getting my ass up and out of bed and to work on time for early start days, even though I'm not a morning person. Sure, I may need an extra cup of tea that morning, but I'm not late for work, and I'm ready for the day.

Yes, I have had to use the techniques I've been taught to defend myself physically. But I've also used skills I've learned through martial arts classes to avoid a lot of fights as well. 

I practise every day. I do so to keep my mind sharp and my body strong and limber. I also use Principles from what I practise every day. 

Perhaps you should try a couple of martial arts classes and speak to a qualified instructor before deciding that something that has incredible physical and mental health benefits for a lot of people sucks. It makes my blood boil at the level of ignorance and idiocy that is displayed when people say that something sucks when thye haven't even tried it for themselves