CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
OliverB

It's time to tell my pdoc and I am scared about it

48 minutes ago, OliverB said:

I am not so sure about chaning pdoc, I like him even if I don't like talking to him, he accepts different approaches... I can't overlap with two pdocs since I am seeing him through the public health system, and if I am discharged from the day hosptial I won't see him again, I would have to go to a normal outpatient facility and ask for an appointment there (I can't ask while I am "signed in" the day hospital).

Oh, ok ... so he is connected to the day program ... so without your current pdoc it would cause a problem.  I don't really understand the Public health system where you live, but from what you've written over time is that it is not a very flexible system.

51 minutes ago, OliverB said:

I think I don't want to risk to lose my Concerta. Being diagnosed with schizophrenia, taking a really low dose of an AP and a stimulant it's really rare here, actually, they don't give Concerta to adults because it's not approved here. We don't have adderall either, there are really few approved ADHD meds, and only 1 of them is also approved for adult. None is approved for fatigue, depression, etc. and they are really reclutant to prescribe them.

Makes sense.  Going to a new pdoc you would losing risk the Concerta, so it makes sense to stay with current pdoc for that reason alone.

56 minutes ago, OliverB said:

I have to solve this instead of risking my gold med (Concerta).

That is good that you are aware it is you, not him, interms of "getting along" with each other.  I think solving this instead of not, risking the Concerta, is a really great idea.  Great Insight!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 11:35 AM, OliverB said:

Ahhh I think I am seeing him earlier, I don't know! I can't stand more than 1 day without Concerta because of depression... but I don't want to take it everyday either! 

I think I don't want to risk to lose my Concerta. Being diagnosed with schizophrenia, taking a really low dose of an AP and a stimulant it's really rare here, actually, they don't give Concerta to adults because it's not approved here. We don't have adderall either, there are really few approved ADHD meds, and only 1 of them is also approved for adult. None is approved for fatigue, depression, etc. and they are really reclutant to prescribe them.

My pdoc is 60 years old, he has been working time enough to know there are really big exceptions, and he has directly told me he has never given Concerta to anyone over 16 years old...... and he is someone who works in a day hospital and treats people with severe mental illness, not a regular pdoc who mostly see people with mild-moderate anxiety and depression.

He is good as a psychiatrist, he is not good as a psychotherapist for me, but that's my fault! My pride is giant, I like doing everything by my own, I can't freely talk about my problems with almost anyone (there was just one exception in all my life, my ex-pdoc). I think it's me, not him. I have to solve this instead of risking my gold med (Concerta).

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! This combo is rare - but if it really helps your symptoms, it shouldn't be so impossible to get! I can understand you must feel stuck with going to the same pdoc because no one wants to prescribe stimulants.

I am dealing with this same issue because my current pdoc says she does not prescribe them (even though I had a previous pdoc prescribe them to me). I will continue to see her, however, she must refer me to someone else if I want to get a stimulant (and it probably isn't guaranteed that they will approve). They didn't give ADHD tests when I was a kid, so there was no chance I could have been diagnosed as a child - they do not approve this here for adults or as an adjunct for depression :-(

Are you saying that your pdoc is also your therapist? Because you can only go to 1 person for both? How are you doing otherwise?

On 8/2/2017 at 10:34 AM, cloudmonger said:

Are you saying that your pdoc is also your therapist? Because you can only go to 1 person for both? How are you doing otherwise?

Here what it's normal in regular outpatient facilities it's having a pdoc you see once each 2 months in the begining, then once 2-4 months and when you are stable, once each 4-6 months. You can see a psychologist once a month if they consider the issue it's mainly psychological, but since I am diagnosed with schizophrenia they won't assgined me a psychologist. When I was in one of the two regular outpatient facilities that treat mental illness here, I wasn't given the opportunity to talk with a psychologist...

When I am right now, a non regular outpatient facility (it's a day hospital), there is a psychiatrist and a psychologist, actually I could talk to both at the same time if I asked to, or with one of them, but I don't find myself really comfortable with the psychologist...

Anyway, I am doing more or less OK, I go to 2/3 of lessons and try to study a bit everyday. I am not dying, but I am unhappy deep inside, a silent sadness...

On 8/2/2017 at 10:34 AM, cloudmonger said:

I am dealing with this same issue because my current pdoc says she does not prescribe them (even though I had a previous pdoc prescribe them to me). I will continue to see her, however, she must refer me to someone else if I want to get a stimulant (and it probably isn't guaranteed that they will approve). They didn't give ADHD tests when I was a kid, so there was no chance I could have been diagnosed as a child - they do not approve this here for adults or as an adjunct for depression :-(

Here it's not approved for adults or depression either... so I was really luckly I found this pdoc. I guess nobody else would ever prescribe it to me...

I am sorry your pdoc continue refusing to prescribe it, it's really weird because you tried it before and it went well.

Just dropping in to say 'hi' :)  I was just going to post here to ask how you were, but others beat me to it!

I hope you start feeling happy inside again.  Did anything change for that to happen?

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Just dropping in to say 'hi' :)  I was just going to post here to ask how you were, but others beat me to it!

I hope you start feeling happy inside again.  Did anything change for that to happen?

Eysash yah Hi!

I hope I could feel happy inside, but too much trauma, stress, being poor, ... makes it impossible. It is not anything new, ... actually I think I am better because at least I am not deep inside psychotic lol

32 minutes ago, OliverB said:

Eysash yah Hi!

I hope I could feel happy inside, but too much trauma, stress, being poor, ... makes it impossible. It is not anything new, ... actually I think I am better because at least I am not deep inside psychotic lol

I'm glad to hear you are hanging in there. 

I can empathize with the stress and being poor.  I don't need much in life, and I have what I need to survive, so it isn't that bad.  But I would love an iphone.  Something like this are things I would love to have, where if I had more money I would buy them.  With the stress, well, I just do whatever to keep the stress low.  Sometimes works, sometimes not.

Hope you have a better day today :) 

I am done.

I asked for a referral hoping I can find someone like my ex-pdoc, with him I was better than now and without taking any medication. But I was told last time the only options where a regular outpatient facility seeing a psychiatrist once each 2-3months, my ex-pdoc worked in a place no longer exists. I hope there is another option I wasn't told about or I am dead.

I haven't been told where I will have to go or with whom yet. I hope really hope there is another option...

Here poor traumatized people with MI are condemned to dead or suffering.

10 hours ago, OliverB said:

I haven't been told where I will have to go or with whom yet. I hope really hope there is another option...

When do you find out?

On 17/2/2017 at 0:56 AM, melissaw72 said:

When do you find out?

No options, I am still with my pdoc. It is not that bad in the end, he said he believes I have Complex PTSD. I never told him anything about complex PTSD, I was shocked in a possitive way when he said it.

Edited by OliverB

12 hours ago, OliverB said:

No options, I am still with my pdoc. It is not that bad in the end, he said he believes I have Complex PTSD. I never told him anything about complex PTSD, I was shocked in a possitive way when he said it.

Nice to hear from you here OliverB, how are the meds & everything going? Do you feel relieved that your pdoc agrees with your diagnosis? What are the next steps with getting the help/recovery that you need?

On 22/2/2017 at 10:01 AM, cloudmonger said:

Nice to hear from you here OliverB, how are the meds & everything going? Do you feel relieved that your pdoc agrees with your diagnosis? What are the next steps with getting the help/recovery that you need?

Thank you,

I am only on Concerta and gabapentin, I am not happy but not that bad either, I guess I am improving. And finally I am beginning psychotherapy with my pdoc , the diagnosis issue was really validating. I think things with him will improve a lot since now. My next step is clarify my objective and tell him something about my past, it will be this Tuesday, I hope it goes well I have written a letter...

How are you doing? With lamictal? Could you find a pdoc that gives you stimulants for depression?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OliverB said:

he diagnosis issue was really validating. I think things with him will improve a lot since now.

I understand how getting the diagnosis was validating.  It feels (at least to me) like 'finally, someone believes me.'  And then can work from there.

I hope things do improve for you.  I am glad you have written a letter ... IME those can be incredibly helpful.

15 hours ago, OliverB said:

Thank you,

I am only on Concerta and Gabapentin, I am not happy but not that bad either, I guess I am improving. And finally I am beginning psychotherapy with my pdoc , the diagnosis issue was really validating. I think things with him will improve a lot since now. My next step is clarify my objective and tell him something about my past, it will be this Tuesday, I hope it goes well I have written a letter...

How are you doing? With Lamictal? Could you find a pdoc that gives you stimulants for depression?

Glad to hear you're doing better! I'm on same dose of Lamictal (stabilizing like Gabapentin), ok at the moment, but still depressed with incredible anhedonia. Started another trial of Abilify as adjunct, but too scared to go up more than 2.5mg due to side effects everyone talks about. It could be helping a bit, I'm on a sub-therapeutic dose though.

My current pdoc said she cannot rx stimulants but she can refer me to someone else that does. I will make an appt soon, because it really helped me in the past get over the anhedonia and residual dysthymia. I am just hoping that they don't have to go through an entire new assessment & interview in order to rx it. They don't prescribe it here for depression or other issues other than severe childhood ADHD which is not really my primary ongoing issue.

3 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

Started another trial of Abilify as adjunct, but too scared to go up more than 2.5mg due to side effects everyone talks about.

I didn't have any side effects with the abilify ... I hope you don't either.

3 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

My current pdoc said she cannot rx stimulants

Just curious ... why can't she prescribe stimulants? 

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I didn't have any side effects with the abilify ... I hope you don't either.

Just curious ... why can't she prescribe stimulants? 

No idea...she told me this during our first appointment. I gave her a laundry list of every med I've tried with the few "best ones" at the top of the list. I'm in europe and the rules are different here I guess. They consider stimulants really addictive/subject to misuse or something and most pdocs cannot rx it for off-label diagnosis (I'm guessing).

Ritalin helped me a great deal. I told her that it had no side effects. I felt calm, focused, it eradicated the negative side effects of the SSRI I was on at that time. I felt much better, motivated, positive. I was able to become engaged in life again.

Edited by cloudmonger

I am just reading this but benzos plus alcohol does not make you stop breathing. It can't kill you. With barbiturates these kind of things can happen 

and that is the reason benzos were invented, they don't have a risk of death that barbiturates do. Barbiturates are rarely prescribed today. 

2 hours ago, notloki said:

benzos plus alcohol does not make you stop breathing.  It can't kill you.

Enough of benzos + enough alcohol could.

https://www.thecabinchiangmai.com/xanax-and-alcohol-a-combination-that-could-kill/

The Dangerous Side Effects of Mixing Alcohol and Xanax

There are some serious side effects that can occur from combining alcohol and Xanax.

‘Minor’ side effects include:

• Extreme dizziness
  • Abnormal behaviour
  • Tiredness
  • Impaired coordination
  • Memory problems

More critical side effects include:

• Hives
  • Swelling of the lips, tongue or throat
  • Severe depression
  • Hyperactivity
  • Agitation and hostility
  • Hallucinations
  • Light-headedness
  • Seizures
  • Slowed respiratory and heart rates
  • Slipping in and out of consciousness
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Cardiac arrest
  • Death

Edited by melissaw72

7 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Give me one specific of a person who has died from benzos and alcohol alone. It is just an unreasonable amount of pills, more than one could take. You are likely to throw up if you tried to force feed that many pills. You need to addition of something that really suppresses respiration, namely strong opioids or barbiturates.

Edited by notloki

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Give me one specific of a person who has died from benzos and alcohol alone. It is just an unreasonable amount of pills, more than one could take. You are likely to throw up if you tried to force feed that many pills. You need to addition of something that really suppresses respiration, namely strong opioids or barbiturates.

Whitney Houston, a possibility.

There are a few things that have been said on-line about her death, and then I found the autopsy report:

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Celebs/houston, whitney_report.pdf

Page one describes some things about prescription meds and alcohol, but if I read this correctly, I think the final report (on another page) was of cocaine and something else.

As I was looking on-line for all of this, there were speculations about the xanax and alcohol and her death (see links below).  But as I was continuing to read stuff, in the WH  articles, it didn't just give the speculations; it gave reference to why (in general) xanax and alcohol abuse can be deadly.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/13/whitney-houston-s-death-xanax-and-alcohol-deadly-duo.html

But of all the things that people ingest, there are few combinations more life-threatening than alcohol and benzodiazepines—the class of sedatives that includes Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin.

The reason? When taken together, alcohol and Xanax have what’s known as an additive effect, which means that in the presence of Xanax, alcohol is made more potent than it would be alone.

Both alcohol and benzodiazepines work by depressing the central nervous system of the body, reducing the activity of several broad-stroke mental functions, such as thought, memory, coordination, and respiration.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/whitney-houston-death-anti-anxiety-meds-kill-abused-combined-alcohol-article-1.1021863

Each drug magnifies the effect of the other,” said Dr. Greg Bunt of Daytop New York.

Withdrawal from these drugs can also be a killer.

“It can absolutely lead to seizure and death,” said Fred Keane, the clinic director at Mountainside. “It can cause a heart attack.”

----------

But overall, why would xanax, alcohol, and death be all over the internet then, cautioning people about the deadly side effects, if it wasn't true? 

Examples:

http://drugabuse.com/library/concurrent-alcohol-and-alprazolam-abuse/#combined-effects-of-alprazolam-and-alcohol-abuse

and drinking in combination with alprazolam can result in fatal respiratory depression—or dangerously slowed breathing. Alcohol and alprazolam both potentiate the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. This neurotransmitter is responsible for muting widespread excitation in the brain and, when its actions are ramped up, can result in sedation. When these depressants are mixed together, over-sedation may occurs—a serious problem that can progress to coma or even death.

--------------

https://www.elementsbehavioralhealth.com/featured/the-most-lethal-alcohol-drug-combinations/

A similar combination is alcohol with any type of sleeping or anti-anxiety pills. These, like alcohol, are depressants, and taking them with alcohol multiplies the sedative effect.

They work together to cause the effect, which can lead to death in some people.

Edited by melissaw72
  • Like 1