CrazyBoards.org

I'm feeling so down & hopeless. This Lamictal... It doesn't seem to be doing much.

I went up to 150mg and it doesn't seem to be helping my symptoms much....if anything i just feel more blah & apathetic. I want to lay in bed all day :-( My pdoc is always booked up and i can't see her for 2-3 weeks....She doesn't have any other suggestions really considering everything I've tried (with bad side effects). Only random thing she suggested was Lyrica (seems for people with Pain or anxiety - which is not my main problem??!)

Also, I'm trying to get into a new therapist and the woman has not replied. I've emailed, called twice and nothing??? I hope she contacts me tomorrow I'm getting desperate.

I hate taking medications when they don't really help.

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

How long have you been on the 150 mg?

Only like a week...I know it takes time, but this slow titration, waiting & waiting is so annoying. I was on 100mg for 6 weeks (I know quite a few ppl on this dose and I really thought it would help) It initially seemed to help with the frequent crying/anxiety (within 3 days of going up) but now I'm having doubts - bc i am still very very Depressed and even more apathetic, lifeless, unmotivated. No spark or interest in anything. Must force myself to do chores, get up, shower, etc.

My concern is that it won't have enough of an antidepressant effect....but everything else I've tried (see below) is either super sedating/numbing with sexual dysfunction OR like SNRI's, and some SSRIs, make me more agitated & physically restless, give me sleep issues. I always try to wait out the side effect period of 1 month on the target dose, but then I just seem to get worse!

I really don't want to start having to take more meds simply to counter the negative effects of other meds, you know?? I made a post about the reversible MAOI Moclobemide, but it seems no one here is familiar or has any experience on it. I don't see much in reviews online either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide

I will explain to my pdoc (and ask if she has used this med, but it's a 3 week wait) :(

Edited by cloudmonger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

I really don't want to start having to take more meds simply to counter the negative effects of other meds, you know??

I know exactly what you mean.

15 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

I really don't want to start having to take more meds simply to counter the negative effects of other meds, you know?? I made a post about the reversible MAOI Moclobemide, but it seems no one here is familiar or has any experience on it. I don't see much in reviews online either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide

I haven't heard of that med either.

I just read the link you posted above ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide ) and it says:

It is not approved for use in the United States but is approved in other Western countries such as the UK[11] and Australia

I'm not sure if you live in the US or not, but these are the only countries that it has been approved for.

It sucks so much hurting & not having a way of just fixing it no matter how hard we try. Especially when our options are so far away like the time til you can see the doc again or waiting for the therapist to contact.

I hope the therapist gets back to you soon. Is it someone you want to see in particular or could you maybe try somewhere else? I know I got into see my therapist quickly because she was new/the clinic was new. I obviously don't know the details but hoping for your sake she does get back to you & have space.

Have you tried any sensory tools? Please feel free to ignore this if you don't want coping strategies or have tried them, I k ow it can be frustrating when people try to offer solutions when you feel that crappy. But I find sensory tools the only real things that help when I'm that low. Particularly weighted items. Trying to pile some heavy blankets on your lap or over you in bed can be soothing. Similarly thungs that work on different sensors may help you. Like a cold or hot compress on your face. Running you hand through something tactile like a soft blanket, sand or beads. Something that smells good like a candle. Having a sound on in the background like running water, there's phone apps that can do that. Again. I'm really sorry if this is completely unhelpful.

please feel free to msg me if you need to vent about how you're feeling while you wait to find someone to help. 

2 hours ago, Remnants said:

Have you tried any sensory tools? Please feel free to ignore this if you don't want coping strategies or have tried them, I k ow it can be frustrating when people try to offer solutions when you feel that crappy. But I find sensory tools the only real things that help when I'm that low. Particularly weighted items. Trying to pile some heavy blankets on your lap or over you in bed can be soothing. Similarly thungs that work on different sensors may help you. Like a cold or hot compress on your face. Running you hand through something tactile like a soft blanket, sand or beads. Something that smells good like a candle. Having a sound on in the background like running water, there's phone apps that can do that. Again. I'm really sorry if this is completely unhelpful.

please feel free to msg me if you need to vent about how you're feeling while you wait to find someone to help. 

I do resort to some of the things that you mention above (like sleeping with a stuffed animal, which i'm quite embarrassed about!) Lighting candles, xmas fairy lights, scented lotion..wish I had something that would give me a boost in hope & motivation. it's tough to keep trying things when you feel like you are already doing all of the "right" healthy things and that doesn't even help! I keep telling myself this is temporary, but the longer it goes, the more hopeless i feel.

I look around and wish I could just feel "normal" like other people I know....and feel happy from positive experiences.

Yeah, I definitely relate to that. The management strategies are definitely just to try and help you get to starting counselling & reviewing meds. They're bandaids. Don't feel bad about having soft toys, I have them too. We do what we need to do to get by. It takes time which is frustrating but I really want to encourage you & let you know that therapy & stuff when other people get organised for you can help. There is hope. Even if you can't see it right now. I have hope for you. Wait feels unbareable right now. I know when my next psych appointment is & it still feels so hard to get to it. Please try remember you're not alone in this. & im really sorry if I'm completely useless to you right now.