CrazyBoards.org

Prazosin for daytime anxiety

So I know the mins off label use (and the one I take it for) for prazosin is nightmares. But has anyone heard of taking a small amount in the daytime to counteract anxiety and/or reduce the fallout from it getting out of your system?  My psychiatrists rationale for trying 1mg in the am is that either the short half life means my body is struggling with it leaving my system or that it would help in general. Just curious if anyone had heard of this. 

I haven't heard of this before.  When I was on it for the nightmares though, I took it every night ... I started at 1 mg for a couple nights then 2 mg every night.

At that dose, it made me fairly groggy and I didn't remember anything when I woke up/after taking it ... it was like a blank slate.  I think for me, if I had taken 1 mg in the morning, it would have made me sleepy for awhile.  YMMV though.

I had to go off of it because of the memory loss, sleep-eating. etc.  I couldn't remember anything that I'd done or that had happened before taking it.  This might not happen to you though, just my experiences on it.

Thanks--I already know that it works for me in general at nighttime.  Though as you said, I don't really remember anything in the morning.  I'm okay with that for now though.  If I start seeing signs that it's like Ambien where I didn't remember anything but was in fact doing things (like what you mentioned), I'll have to reconsider.  Even then, it would be hard to give up because the nightmares were so bad.

I was wondering if it would make me tired during teh day.  So far, I've napped in the morning one of two tries, but that's also fairly normal for me on a weekend, so we'll see during the big test (work week).

It's an interesting question and I'd be curious to hear what your experience ends up being.

I find propranolol to be helpful for daytime anxiety. It's a beta-blocker (impacting beta-adrenergic receptors) rather than an alpha blocker (impacting alpha-adrenergic receptors). Prazosin is an alpha blocker. They hit a different kind of receptor in the things affected by adrenaline. I'm not yet learned enough to know what that means for differential outcomes.

In some of the trials for prazosin, they did use a daytime or morning dose, and the results were that daytime PTSD symptoms were reduced.

You'd just have to watch out for the hypotension, which is probably why it isn't common practice.

Thanks @Wooster and @tryp.  Woo I was at one point taking propranolol for migraine prevention.  We stopped it when I started the prazosin because my psychiatrist didn't want two blood pressure medications.  But if my headaches progressively get worse, my neurologist and psychiatrist might have to fight it out because it's the last class my neurologist feels comfortable with (having ruled out antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and muscle relaxers).  They may have to decide on something together.

tryp, that's interesting that it was tried for daytime symptoms.  One thing my psychiatrist was trying to understand was when I have symptoms.  So maybe it's for more than anxiety.  He warned me about the blood pressure impact in am.  Hopefully that won't be a problem and it will help with anxiety!

5 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

If I start seeing signs that it's like Ambien where I didn't remember anything but was in fact doing things (like what you mentioned), I'll have to reconsider. 

It was EXACTLY what Ambien did for me ... I had to stop ambien for the same reasons as the prazosin. 

5 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

I was wondering if it would make me tired during teh day

I woke up still tired that lasted during the day (and I'd taken it the night before).  But I wasn't on it long enough to really see if that tiredness went away.   YMMV though

I hope it works for the anxiety ... it is always nice when you try a med that works the first time around (without side effects) without having to stop it and start a new one.