CrazyBoards.org

Anyone ever been symptom free?

Yes, I've had periods of remission during which I was symptom-free, if what you're referring to is the symptoms of bipolar, which I assume to be the case as you've posted this in the bipolar forum. Pain stemming from other issues, in my case mostly childhood trauma, has been present most of my life, but that's a separate consideration. Have you talked to a therapist about it? Because being asymptomatic an still miserable is the suck.

36 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Yes, I've had periods of remission during which I was symptom-free, if what you're referring to is the symptoms of bipolar, which I assume to be the case as you've posted this in the bipolar forum. Pain stemming from other issues, in my case mostly childhood trauma, has been present most of my life, but that's a separate consideration. Have you talked to a therapist about it? Because being asymptomatic an still miserable is the suck.

I haven't really had any traumatic experiences or anything specific I feel I could talk to a therapist about. Its hard to describe my mood right now but its more boredom than anything else. I'm on ssi and haven't worked ever and dropped out of school 5 years ago. So I don't have much going on which could be the cause of my feelings of hopelessness and feeling like nothing will help. The only time I feel pleasure is when I gamble which is bad and i don't have enough money to gamble long enough to avoid pain forever. I feel like if i had some money right now i wouldn't be depressed but i know thats just a short term fix. Eventually i will be broke again. Gambling is only a band aid for my pain.  But depression isn't as disabling as psychosis for me so things could be worse but i dont know if my depression is a normal reaction to boredom or something else. I literally do nothing everyday and take 3-4 naps a day lately out of boredom.

Edited by JustGotOut
I'm going to blame my gambling addiction on abilify and hope to collect lol

On 23/01/2017 at 0:40 AM, JustGotOut said:

I guess being stable vs symptom free is a huge difference. I don't think ive ever click here for the x30 been symptom free looking back all these years. Theres always some emotional pain lurking in the background. Or fear of the pain coming back. Is it even possible to be symptom free?

Same here, there's always something going on lol.

Edited by Hildenb

On 1/22/2017 at 4:40 PM, JustGotOut said:

I guess being stable vs symptom free is a huge difference. I don't think ive ever been symptom free looking back all these years. Theres always some emotional pain lurking in the background. Or fear of the pain coming back. Is it even possible to be symptom free?

I was "in remission" for a year recently, but I still had major motivational and energy issues. When I was younger, my episodes were much shorter, and I had complete recoveries, but no longer.

I had a seven year stretch where I was major symptom free.  By that, I mean no episodes.  I had some blips in symptoms,  like fairly chronic sleep difficulties.  The only cautionary note is that I may have been slightly dysthymic according to my pdoc (and therefore not in remission).  But I was in remission from the bipolar and psychosis, which are the big ones for me.  Of course this past year it all spectacularly fell apart.

On 1/22/2017 at 6:40 PM, JustGotOut said:

I guess being stable vs symptom free is a huge difference. I don't think ive ever been symptom free looking back all these years. Theres always some emotional pain lurking in the background. Or fear of the pain coming back. Is it even possible to be symptom free?

MYy first reaction was to say of course.   With meds and Tdoc.  Then I wondered if you meant "cured" totally no meds which I would have to admit no.  And truthfull when I fill out those check the level of these troubling sumptoms I go from low to high but nothing like when this started.  And my current tdoc said I've written down suicidal once (And that was my wish for a bus to just drive over me.   Not jump under the bus or anything.

I dunno... Its depressing in a way to think no your broken and need these bandaids.  On the other hand I've been working with people I have a lot of respect and effection for (Not in creepy ways)

Some pill combos are better ten others and its way differnent from the week you learn your spouse is cheating on you or your dog died then it is when thats not happening.

Good is the enemy of perfect.   Or is it the other way around?

I had been on and off largely asymptomatic between 2005 and 2009. Also I have had periods from early 2012 though August 2013 and December 2013 through October 2015, and shorter periods between November 2015 and May 2016, of having no mood symptoms; however, during these periods I generally had negative symptoms.

On 1/22/2017 at 5:40 PM, JustGotOut said:

That's what I call the "bipolar hangover" -- when you're stable but you still have a few leftover bipolar symptoms, maybe mild, maybe just lingering a bit.

• Like 1

Was going to say yes until I started to think about it. It reminds me of the time I told my husband I didn't need a therapist anymore because I had it together pretty good. Then he said, no, you still need a therapist. And then the next day I was having a total, almost psychotic, flashback/anxiety attack and couldn't figure out what to do to stop it, and I thought, wow! My husband was right. So even though I am pretty satisfied with my life right now (lowering expectations really works) I am not really symptom free. The difference is that doesn't bother me anymore, meaning I don't feel ashamed, embarrassed, or like I should be doing better. 

I've been symptom free for just about over a year now since I've been back on mood-stabilisers. There is only one exception though, I had a hypo in the summer and spent lots and lots of money, partied hard and went to a festival in Scotland but I managed it. Being hypo at a music festival is perfect, that is till you start being risky with other stuff ect. 

So yes, I've been symptom free, on paper...but on practicality also. None of this really effected me greatly really and also I haven't had any symptoms since the summer or at least I think I haven't. So, briefly, YES

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy
spelling
  • Like 1