CrazyBoards.org

Extreme Fatigue & Sleepiness

I am bipolar and am on the bare edge of tipping upward into mania right now... but I have no energy. I am fatigued and every 2 hours I crash. I can drink all the coffee in the world and it doesn't do anything. I still crave a pillow. The only thing that helps, is for about 4 hours after drinking an energy drink I feel 'ok'. Then I go down again. I always thought this was just a normal part of life until my gf got so fed up with me being tired all the time (even when manic, which is why I'm always in denial that I'm manic because I figure I should have more energy than this).

Can anyone else relate? I know you can't diagnose but did anyone have this problem and able to find a fix for it? I'm thinking it might be my blood pressure meds or a B12 deficiency? Hmm...

of your meds I have taken Klonopin and abilify and they both are sedating for me (YMMV with abilify)

do you snore? I tried all kinds of things,talked to my MD, tried different timings and dosages with my meds. I have that about as good as it can get, but it turns out i have sleep apnea. If i can get used to wearing the cpap I imagine I will not be so tired all of the time.

If I don't drink coffee in the morning I can't wake, but I can do pretty good for about a half day with 2 mugs of strong coffee. My family plans for me to have sleep time on vacations.

1 hour ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

Can anyone else relate? I know you can't diagnose but did anyone have this problem and able to find a fix for it? I'm thinking it might be my blood pressure meds or a B12 deficiency? Hmm...

Here is an article for B12 deficiency:

http://www.drperlmutter.com/learn/resources/drugs-that-deplete-b-vitamins/

I agree with getting a sleep study. 

Than you for the responses.

I had a sleep study done in 2010 and it came back negative for anything wrong with me. Unfortunately the sleep doctor didn't have any answers for me other than keep getting regular sleep and eat good food and exercise. Well, gee.

I think I"m going to go to my doctor and get blood tests done. And I'll talk to my pdoc and see what she says about possible medications I"m on that will make me sleepy (I don't take the klonopin every single day like I am supposed to). 

Edited by Alien Navel Cord

2 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

Than you for the responses.

I had a sleep study done in 2010 and it came back negative for anything wrong with me. Unfortunately the sleep doctor didn't have any answers for me other than keep getting regular sleep and eat good food and exercise. Well, gee.

I think I"m going to go to my doctor and get blood tests done. And I'll talk to my pdoc and see what she says about possible medications I"m on that will make me sleepy (I don't take the klonopin every single day like I am supposed to). 

That was 6/7 years ago since that last sleep study.  Things can change in 6/7 years.  It wasn't like you just had one a few months ago.  6/7 years is a long time! 

Here is an example (not related to sleep studies but along the context of this post) ... I had no allergies to food my whole life.  Then all of a sudden in 2012 I start to develop an allergic reaction to pumpkin seeds and chocolate.  If I would have been tested for allergies a year or 2 before recognizing the allergies, it would all be negative for them.  But a year or 2 later, I now have allergies.  Does that make sense?  Stuff happens, and sometimes unexpectedly. 

(in bold)  I think that is a good idea.  With a thyroid panel.  Have you had your thyroid checked recently?

I had my thyroid checked in May of last year so I think it is due for another check. I mean seriously, who gets sleepy 4-5 times a day, even after having at the very least, 68mg of caffeine? I could drink 3 cups of coffee and go to sleep. Monsters and Rockstars keep me alert for about 2-4 hours then I am lethargic again. My girlfriend says I have "no bones in my face" when I get that way. I look slacked. I feel super relaxed and zone out. That's how I can tell when I'm too tired and need a boost. It happens frequently. 

Maybe I should also do another sleep study. I hated it though, it was very uncomfrotable and I had to take klonz in order to finally get to sleep, which they said was ok. Which I didn't quite understand why taking a klonopin would be alright, because it alters your sleep I think. We'll see if my insurance would cover most of it. I can't really afford any healthcare - even with insurance - right now. $30 copay and $500 deductible sucks. I hate the US insurance system and it's going to get worse... anyway /tangent ... maybe I should ask about a sleep study and also perhaps a referral to a dietician? Maybe I need to eat differently. It could be an allergy, who knows! I should test for that too. I work for a lab so I do get free labwork.

Have you expressed to your me and pdoc how severe your fatigue gets? I say I get tired a lot but I don't think they get the extent. I get a "look" too when I am fading. I don't think I am as tired throughout the day as you, though.

since you get free labs I would get the tests you were interested in if you can. I don't think isn't causes fatigue but my vit d was low when tested. 

Just now, confused said:

Have you expressed to your me and pdoc how severe your fatigue gets? I say I get tired a lot but I don't think they get the extent. I get a "look" too when I am fading. I don't think I am as tired throughout the day as you, though.

since you get free labs I would get the tests you were interested in if you can. I don't think isn't causes fatigue but my vit d was low when tested. 

I think I did read that Vitamin D deficiency can cause fatigue as well. 

I had a vitamin D deficiency and I felt like an 80-year-old trying to get up from a sitting position, having trouble standing up and staying standing. I was definitely significantly weakened and fatigued from it. I'm still vitamin D deficient even though I take a prescription vitamin D supplement, but my doctors aren't too concerned about it because it's close enough to normal.

Have you brought up the possibility of adding a stimulant to your regimen?