CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone used Fisher-Wallace stimulator (for mood disorders)?

I've been seeing & hearing more about this FDA-approved Fisher-Wallace device. Has anyone tried this?? It's quite expensive. What are your thoughts??  https://www.fisherwallace.com/

"Columbia University psychiatrist Richard P. Brown says he has used the device with 400 severely depressed patients and that more than 70% find relief -- about twice the rate of anti-depressants. * Created by engineers and doctors....media coverage from WSJ, CBS, Boston Globe, Forbes, Atlantic, etc.

"Uses patented waveforms to gently stimulate the brain to produce serotonin and other neurochemicals responsible for healthy mood and sleep. Unlike antidepressant medication that inhibits neuronal receptors from absorbing serotonin, the Fisher Wallace Stimulator® enables the brain to produce serotonin naturally while improving the brain's ability to regulate the limbic system. Proven in multiple published studies, the device is cleared by the FDA to treat depression, anxiety and insomnia, as well as chronic pain (such as fibromyalgia) when used on the body. "

I believe we had someone or maybe a couple of people here in the past that tried it. I have yet to hear anyone say that it has greatly helped them. I think if it worked well it would be all over the news. So to my mind it is snake oil unless proven effective.

1 minute ago, jt07 said:

I believe we had someone or maybe a couple of people here in the past that tried it. I have yet to hear anyone say that it has greatly helped them. I think if it worked well it would be all over the news. So to my mind it is snake oil unless proven effective.

Yeah...I kind of have the same feeling. Seems very iffy or over-hyped to me....but the website makes it sounds amazing like the next less intrusive ECT or TMS) Boo.

The only thing I have read about that does have positive results in some is the TMS by Neurostar. I have been to 2 offices now that offer it.

My most recent doctor mentioned it and I knew the research on it so I I told him it hasn't shown any results for Ocd. He then said something about adjusting the poles to work for ocd.

I originally thought it was snake oil until I dove deeper into the research. It looks very promising .. it is there yet?? I'm not sure if it's even close to be being perfected. 

I know this is in regards to a different device I just figured I would mention it as no one on this forum speaks about it a lot.

Edited by 300.3

1 minute ago, 300.3 said:

The only thing I have read about that does have positive results in some is the TMS by Neurostar. I have been to 2 offices now that offer it.

My most recent doctor mentioned it and I knew the research on it so I I told him it hasn't shown any results for Ocd. He then said something about adjusting the poles to work for ocd.

I originally thought it was snake oil until I dove deeper into the research. It looks very promising .. it is there yet?? I'm not sure if it's even close to be being perfected. 

I know this is in regards to a different device I just figured I would mention it as no one on this forum mentions it.

Have you personally tried it? Is it a similar device or an outpatient treatment you must have a doctor do in-office? i've heard that TMS is very expensive and you must go in for many treatments for it to work.

I have read the other reviews (for the Fisher-Wallace device) on Drugs.com Forum, and majority stopped using it within a couple of months, many felt like it didn't really do anything (apart from maybe Placebo effect) Many of the people using it are also on medication, so it's unsure which is causing the improvement or if the device is possibly making meds more effective?...there were a few good reviews, but not overwhelmingly so. I would think if it worked that well, more comments/reviews would be found online (not just on the product website) Am I right?

I have never had the TMS done.

The TMS unit is done in office. Multiple visits. I'm not sure about insurance since all carriers are different. 

You brought up a good point about being on meds while getting it done. I guess you wouldn't know which is really helping but I'm sure if you have been on a med for a long time and opted for tms you would know if you feel better.

Cloudmonger 

Your right with all the questions you have.. it's still not 100% never research using a products website. Every treatment that's approved by the FDA has to have research backing it. In that research lies the answers .. Google searches for hear say are just that.. clinical trials,pubmd and many more are what you use to see the numbers right in front of you. 

Look at meds they aren't 100% either.

In terms of the Fisher Wallace I have not read one thing about it.. I can only assume if it's not administered the same way everytime you won't be getting a consistant result. Also I don't even know what principal it uses .. 

The only thing I would say is incredible at this time is Ketamine therepy. It only lasts a week or two and it's experimental but it's a game changer. Long term issues? It can also come with some pretty intense side effects that do go away.  It's being researched by many people. It's also been adapted to work intranasally. Will this eventually in some shape or form be used ? I have no doubt it will. There's a clinic in NYC that offers it and I know NY is. On the only place.

How I would use it?

Every 1-2 weeks I would get ketamine therepy while waiting for  medication to work. 

Hep C costs 16,000$ to cure with a cycle of meds now. Some people don't even know that Hep C is basically curable. There was no huge publicity for it 

In regards to what Jt he said about the Fisher wallace?? I agree with him. I try to stay on top of all new medication,treatments and technology.. I never read about it. If 1 person was helped out of 1000 ? I guess it works ?

Oh sorry for getting  way.......off topic.

Edited by 300.3

17 minutes ago, 300.3 said:

I have never had the TMS done.

The TMS unit is done in office. Multiple visits. I'm not sure about insurance since all carriers are different. 

You brought up a good point about being on meds while getting it done. I guess you wouldn't know which is really helping but I'm sure if you have been on a med for a long time and opted for tms you would know if you feel better.

Just thought I'd let you know, most talk about TMS is being done in the ECT, etc. forum. There are several people on the boards, myself included, who have reported trying TMS. If you're curious about experiences, that's a good place to look. 

Cloudmonger, I don't know anything about the Fisher Wallace device. I'll admit to being skeptical... my pdoc is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as finding treatments for me and she hasn't brought it up. I've tried all classes of anti-depressants, TMS and ECT to no avail. I'm hoping to get into a ketamine study being done locally.

Geek

There are no facilities by you that already offer Ketamine treatment?

I know insurance doesn't cover it so I assume that's why your looking for a trial?

I know Yale is continually doing trials. It's only a matter of time until they crack the code on Ketamine to take away the wicked side effects that person might get. Also to  continually have the effect without being given regularly dosages every 1-2 weeks . 

I know atm the cost is different for IV drip vs injection.

Edited by 300.3

4 minutes ago, 300.3 said:

Geek

There are no facilities by you that already offer Ketamine treatment?

I know insurance doesn't cover it so I assume that's why your looking for a trial?

Sadly no, not in my city. Infusions would be out of my financial reach anyway. I'm on the list to be a participant in a trial being done locally though, so maybe that will work out. This trial is investigating if a days-long infusion can provide lasting/durable relief of depression symptoms.

Interesting .. can you provide me a link to the study?

So basically there thinking is if they give the drug for a longer amount of time will it last longer?

"Lasting durable relief"

They already have had people that have the effects last 2 weeks.

The dosage is already been calculated per lb 

There looking to push the dosage over the current "norm"? Over a whole day?

Edited by 300.3