CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
C_Bear

Comping off Luvox and Wellbutrin - migraines, nausea, dizziness, body aches and weakness - how long???????!!!

Hello,

After some really unsettling stuff and suicidal ideation, I came off of Luvox and Wellbutrin XL under care of my psychiatrist. I hadn’t been on the Luvox very long and my last dose was Jan 3rd. I had been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for 4+ years and tapered off with my last dose on Jan 12th. Again, I am under a doctor’s care and have regular appointments to check-in, but she wasn’t able to give much information about some weird possible side effects or any time time other than “it should hopefully get better soon.”

After the luvox, I had nausea and other intense GI symptoms, but they kind of reared their ugly head and then faded. Possibly because I was on it for so long, but I’m really struggling coming off the Wellbutrin which I though was supposed to have less withdrawal. Last week at the peak of feeling bad, I couldn’t even go into work. I had intense migraines, vertigo, and nausea, spent two days pretty much in bed just trying not to move with a sleep mask on. I also had acute joint pain, not 100% sure that it was caused by discontinuing the meds but the timeline fits, felt like I had aged 20 years overnight with pain in my hands (couldn’t open jars), feet, and knees.

Now I’m more than a week out and still with near continuous nausea and dizziness, headaches better than the raging migraines but still there on and off. I also feel like I am just uncomfortable all the time, just feel disconnected like my body is in the way of itself if that makes sense, trouble falling asleep no matter how tired I am because nothing is comfortable. I also felt really weak over the weekend, just couldn’t do normal activities like I had no strength and then was fatigued. My doctor said that since some antidepressants are used to treat fibromyalgia (something I’ve never had before), people can get rebound fibromyalgia symptoms when they discontinue them?

Please share your experiences. How long will this last? I feel better mentally, no more intrusive thoughts and so much less foggy, but feel too crappy physically to do much - so frustrating! The headaches, nausea, and dizziness I’m not too surprised about, just really hoping they go away. The weakness and ashiness and just constant discomfort, that was not expected. I keep thinking it’s not the meds, but not sure what else could have changed to bring on such a seemingly drastic change in how I feel physically. What the heck is going on with that? Has anyone else had that happen? When did it finally go away and was there anything you found that helped in the meantime? Again, I am seeing my psychiatrist but I'm concerned about all this because I'm struggling with these symptoms at work (missed days and trouble getting through long shifts) and especially as a mother to a young son. Please help - thanks!!!

Many doctors don't tell you about the possible withdrawal effects when they first prescribe a med.........

According to this article, symptoms of Wellbutrin withdrawal can last anywhere from a few days to a few months (90 days), depending on the individual, the dose, how rapidly or slowly they tapered, and how long the person was taking it:

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/04/30/wellbutrin-bupropion-withdrawal-symptoms-how-long-do-they-last/

IMO, you are probably having a difficult withdrawal from the WB because you took it for an extended period of time (4+ years)......That's just a guess.

I can't predict how long these symptoms will last, but if you haven't already told your doc, I would suggest letting her know--maybe there is another med (or meds) she could prescribe to help you get through this (at least until your symptoms subside).

Here's another informative article about WB withdrawal, it says WB metabolites can stay in your system up to 10 days after last dose:

http://www.medhealthdaily.com/wellbutrin-withdrawal/

Good luck to you in getting through this, and hoped the info helped.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thanks! The first article describes a lot of what's going on. I guess that it makes sense that so many neurological and neuromuscular withdrawal symptoms can happen and with such a range since Wellbutrin is serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. And it's frustrating to hear that it can take a while, but I guess reassuring that it's not just me.

I have discussed it with my doctor, but we decided to hold off on restarting anything else for now and it seems that other than over the counter migraine and body ache meds, there's not much else to do. The nausea is getting to me though, and while the OTC stuff does fairly okay for the other symptoms, some anti nausea meds would be welcome. Even though I know that people who ask for zofran aren't "drug seeking," I'm a nurse and always feel like I'm going to be labeled as such or as a hypochondriac if I ask or call in.

Other than lexapro, which seemed to lose effectiveness or just settle back in to neutral territory, my body hasn't meshed well with other SSRIs or SNRIs. The Wellbutrin by itself makes me too anxious. So, for now, I'm trailing being off altogether which is scary because I have only had a few short periods of not being on meds in the last 15 years or so, but after so many bad experiences it's also scary to think of trying something else. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By CrazyCatLady83
      I started process of switching from Cymbalta to Remeron on March 25, and took my last dose of Cymbalta a few days ago. Other than a few days of extreme irritability, things have been going surprisingly smoothly. Except that I can't sleep. Not really. I'm rapid-cycling between moments of being awake and instantly dreaming as soon as I close my eyes. The waking moments seem precipitated by startling effects in the dream state, that usually have nothing to do with the content of the dream itself. The worst of these is the sudden sensation of being physically attacked by an evil presence. It seems to take me a little bit longer to wake up during these instances. Or at least that's how I perceive it.
      How much of this is potentially the residual Cymbalta withdrawal effects, and how much of this is the "strange or unusual dreams" listed as a possible side effect of the Remeron? 
      And more importantly, how long can I expect this to last? If you experienced disturbed dreams while on Remeron, how long did it last for you, and did it turn out to be a deal breaker?
    • By Blahblah
      Have a strong itch to drop Effexor...(I won't go cold turkey). It stopped my dysphoric crying spells, but now, 10 months later, I'm feeling increasingly flat, apathetic, numb, no motivation (even after dropping to 75mg). I hate how all A/Ds have this lobotomy effect on me longterm. It's initially fine in acute episodes, I'm not sad now, but I can't function properly, and I continue to score Moderate-Severe on the depression scale.
      I think it's counteracting my Ritalin (which I increased to 30-40mg)? I don't want to increase Effexor above 150mg, I'd never be able to go off.
      I'm trying dosing at night instead, will this make any difference @mikl_pls ? I skipped yesterday's morning dose (then came the intense nausea, over stimulation & brain slosh awfulness @10 hours later) and I took my dose with dinner.
      I'm seriously considering going on low-dose mild SSRI instead (Prozac?) I'm sensitive to meds & side effects, and I'm also VERY worried about withdrawals. Especially from Effexor, they are the WORST, and I just read study that Effexor withdrawal syndrome is not dose-dependent:
      https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7402189_Venlafaxine_and_Serious_Withdrawal_Symptoms_Warning_to_Drivers
      https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/24/woman-shares-coming-off-antidepressant-ruined-life-7255570/

• By Blahblah
      Forgot to take Lamictal yesterday (I took my other meds). Holy Hell, I took my dose today (on schedule) and I STILL feel awful!!  I've only been on 100mg....I thought Lamictal had a super-long half-life? Yesterday went like this:
      10am - up, had breakfast
      11am – slight Brain “swishes” started (was out the entire day)
      12pm – Stronger Brain zaps start
      1:30pm – Lunch (meat, salad/veg)
      2:30pm – Sudden extreme exhaustion
      4pm - more brain zaps =>  ZAP ZAP ZAP! 🤯
      7pm - Irritability starts
      11pm – Tea, bedtime, could not fall asleep (I haven't had insomnia in 2+ years)
      ...Night sweats…Restless legs.....
      12am – Ruminations, feel weepy
      ..Insomnia ensues…(Toss & turn, sweaty/achey all night)
      It's now 12pm,and I am STILL having brain zaps! I worry I’ll never be able ever taper, switch from, or withdraw from this med. You probably think well, with MI, WHY would you ever go off it? For me, longterm, these meds are band-aids. There is always a price.  Ok, maybe great at preventing acute/severe depression, but as a result, they rob me of any spark, joy, elation, happiness, libido, sexual sensation/response, feelings of reward, love.... This disturbs me. I used to know what positive emotions felt like…
      So I’m stable, existing.....but still lacking will or any interest in living....
    • By Blahblah
      Anyone been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue syndrome? I feel like maybe my symptoms are not due to depression. I do not want to start more meds because they don't solve the root problem. My mood is stable.
      Symptoms: I lay in bed for hours, everything is draining, exhausting despite sleeping 10+ hours every night....Brain Fog....Moving Slow like I'm carrying lead.....Dry eye syndrome (I have RX for this)....Dry itchy skin (I have RX lotion for this)...Cold feet.....Low Blood pressure.....
      I want to pursue other medical tests to rule out other causes. Tests so far:
      Thyroid + antibodies (normal)
      Vitamin D & Folate (normal after supplementation)
      Iron (normal- but slightly low end)
      Nutrition (I eat protein daily, healthy diet, avoid sugar)
      I know I need to exercise again, but lately due to this lethargy I am really struggling to even shower and cook... it's totally debilitating.

My GP suggested maybe a Sleep test (although I don't snore in sleep). I will be getting some Cardio function tests. I'm ordering a sun lamp. is there anything else I could get checked out?

• By Blahblah
      I'm sorry if this question is redundant....
      @notloki I know you're knowledgeable here.
      I've been getting very inconsistent effects from Ritalin. I recently increased my dosage, because I was experiencing more fatigue afternoons and having to nap. I take 20mg (extended in morning, before I get up), then I take 10mg (extended) after lunch. Pdoc said I could take 10mgIR no later than 3pm if needed.
      I'm compliant with this routine. Dose 40 minutes before getting up, same exact breakfast every morning: oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, nuts, coffee. Yesterday, I felt pretty good and energetic in the morning (both mentally and physically). Then today, I feel focused..yet, (sort of zombie-dazed staring at screen), incredibly drowsy/tired and apathetic, like I really need to nap. I get plenty of sleep every night.
      Is there a reason this is happening? Seems doses effect me differently all the time. I prefer extended because the IR (while it hits more noticeably) I feel more intense energy crash and can become moody...Note: Pdoc will not let me change until I hit the max (60mg), and other stimulants (even Adderall) are either extremely hard or impossible to get prescribed here.