CrazyBoards.org

Resources for MI Folks Who Don't Want Shrinks

Prettymuch what it says on the tin. Everything I google gets "How to treat people who don't want to be treated" "Reasons why people don't seek mental health support", yadda yadda et nausea. Nothing actually, y'know, useful, or crediting people like us with an ounce of agency.

Does anyone know of real resources, not either run by "I want you to see why you're wrong, it's for your own good!" creeps or "I want you to see why the Sky Brain needs your Soul Juice (and wallet)" creeps, or "Willowbark can help your mitochondria flourish at their natural levels of holistic energy" creeps. Actually useful resources/community for people who for whatever reason do not or cannot access MH care.

Whisper

Edited by WinterTidings

I am in this boat, more so the cannot access variant but also the I will never put an ounce of hope or trust in any mental health professional in the mental health system here again, because all they do is reject you, say they can't do anything or assume shit, make dramas out of things that are my life etc. 

But obviously I still need to function. This needs far more recognition than it is getting. Although I have a sense no one is going to answer on CB because pro-treatment. 

• Like 1

It's a fair point.  It's possible to be pro-treatment and also acknowledge that the mental health system (more in some countries than others - but pretty much everywhere) can be inadequate/shitty/inaccessible and that other solutions are also needed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zoey said:

you two realize this is a pro treatment site right?

I do. It doesn't mean that people don't find themselves in valid situations such as ours, or that we don't have needs too. "It's an illness it needs treatment!" leads to either:

• "..So if you can't get access to good/safe treatment, what now?"
  • a blase nonchalance to people who are in that situation,
  • or a view that anyone who cannot access such care (but is alive to still have needs) is inherently 'not sick enough'.

As I think most CB users will find the latter two repellant, I don't think this is an unreasonable topic to start for gathering resources.

Whis

Edited by WinterTidings

I don't feel that this is going against being pro-treatment, rather looking at more resources to support people with MI. I hardly see how this would be incompatible with treatment...

Sadly I don't have any resource to recommend :( (workbooks online?)

I don't know of anything that would help significantly long term. Support groups might be of some use, if one is open to those and there are good ones around. I also had found these online meetings http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=peer_Online_Support_Groups when I was working on finding good treatment in a new location. I was always to nervous to actually participate, so I have no idea if they are any good. 

I also know some people who have gotten short term support from clergy members if that's your thing. Not from, "just accept God and he will solve all your problems" religions, but from pastors in more liberal denominations who will meet with congregants and offer more real-life support and problem solving. It likely will only go so far, but I've known people who this has helped them get through a particularly tough time, or help them fill a gap when for whatever reason they do not have adequate current mental health providers. 

I'm afraid all I can come up with are two things already mentioned--a support group (if one exists and you can get out of your house) and the various mental health-related books.  It could be a separate post to  identify a good book on a particular issue (though you're right HB that finding something with your particular diagnosis is going to be hard--I have to believe that there's something out there though).  I recognize reading requires concentration, which is a whole diifferent problem.

So basically, I validate your problem while running out of solutions.  My apologies.