CrazyBoards.org

Rebound Headaches

Have any of you tried the theory of stopping all analagesic/triptan/other pain meds to break the cycle in the rebound headache theory?

I take excederin as propholaxysis. Daily, have for 30 years (god love my stomach).

Experience, thoughts?

I can't pay out of pocket for triptans anymore. There just ain't no mo' money.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Heya S9,

Been lucky enough not to have headaches, knock wood.

From what I've observed:  Most people can expect to see nasty headaches for like a week, but if they can stick with it, that resolves and they go back to sporadic migraine.

The problem with med headaches is that it becomes impossible to distinguish a migraine from a med headache.

Getting off chronic med use will at least help sort that out.

--ncc--

Heya S9,

Been lucky enough not to have headaches, knock wood.

From what I've observed:  Most people can expect to see nasty headaches for like a week, but if they can stick with it, that resolves and they go back to sporadic migraine.

The problem with med headaches is that it becomes impossible to distinguish a migraine from a med headache.

Getting off chronic med use will at least help sort that out.

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My migraines last 3 days, minimum unmedicated. What can I do in the meantime if I'm going thru withdrawal. Maybe wait til this summer when number one son goes to Texas and little one can go to grandmas and just lay in my room with the phenergan suppositories. Can I take those while stopping analgesics/triptans? I hope I'm not overstepping asking for free med advice, I plan to discuss this with pdoc and gp. I have a feeling this might work for me. When I was preggers I rarely had migraine. I know hormones had something to do with that, but also I didn't take ANY meds. At all. tylenol.

Heya s9,

Well, I don't answer any questions I'm not comfortable with, so don't worry about overstepping.  I work very hard on my boundaries.

Your plan to wait until you have a few days without obligations is a very good one.

Phenergan supps are just fine while doing this withdrawal.

See what your own docs recommend, but you sound on track to me.

--ncc--

Heya s9,

Well, I don't answer any questions I'm not comfortable with, so don't worry about overstepping.  I work very hard on my boundaries.

Your plan to wait until you have a few days without obligations is a very good one.

Phenergan supps are just fine while doing this withdrawal.

See what your own docs recommend, but you sound on track to me.

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tanks! I want to break the cycle, I really do. Take responsibility and all that.

• 1 month later...

Well I kinda did.  For all intents and purposes I guess I was hooked on my migraine med, fiornial w/ codiene.  I didn't mean to be,..but literally after it would wear off,..BAM another migraine began.  20 mins after I took 1 (or 2) it would be gone and I would feel good (real good.)

Anyway..that went on for yrs., until I read about this thing called REBOUND h/a's.  Made alot of sense.  So I quit taking them,..went from taking 50 a month,..down to 30 a month,..to 10 a month,..to none.  Took about 6 months to do.

In the meantime I got on wellbutrin, which KILLS all my "Urges",..from drinking, to taking pills,.to snacking...etc.  So I think that helped me stop,..

So I am not sure if it was stopping taking the fio w/ codiene that killed the rebound h/a's,..or if the wellbutrin being an anti-depressent just helped control the migraines,..but I don't get them anymore.  I went from daily migraines to getting just 2 this past yr.  None in the last 5 months.

That said,..I must add that I do still take 1 excedrin migraine and 1 tylenol every morning.  I wake up w/ a h/a every morning.  Not sure why,..I'm sure it's not the best thing to do or very healthy.  BUt hey,..it's better then eatting 5 ot so serious painkillers aday,..and I am virtually pain free.

Good luck!!!  Not having those horrific migraines anymore is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I am currently not taking any pain meds (Vicoprofen) because I'm out and don't see my neuro until the end of March.  Unfortunately, I'm still having the same amount of migrianes (I was hoping for rebounds).  I am hoping that when I see him and I get a new script, that it will work better since I've not been taking it.

I've never gotten rebounds from triptans, only from analgesics. My rebounds were nothing like migraines, though. They were more like really bad tension headaches. Once I stopped taking the analgesics, the rebound problem stopped (well, after several days after they worked their way out of my system).

Now, my neuro says that I could have gotten rebounds from Imitrex, etc., but since they never really worked on me, and my HMO plan would only allow me nine pills a month, I was in no danger of taking them daily to even get anywhere near rebound. And I don't know if the Toradol shots they gave me would cause rebounds, but I suppose they could as well.

Anyway, I don't consider rebound headaches to be a theory because I experimented enough with it after becoming aware of it. At least for me, it's real.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never gotten rebounds from triptans, only from analgesics. My rebounds were nothing like migraines, though. They were more like really bad tension headaches. Once I stopped taking the analgesics, the rebound problem stopped (well, after several days after they worked their way out of my system).

Now, my neuro says that I could have gotten rebounds from Imitrex, etc., but since they never really worked on me, and my HMO plan would only allow me nine pills a month, I was in no danger of taking them daily to even get anywhere near rebound. And I don't know if the Toradol shots they gave me would cause rebounds, but I suppose they could as well.

Anyway, I don't consider rebound headaches to be a theory because I experimented enough with it after becoming aware of it. At least for me, it's real.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, when I get to a daily 100 mg Imitrex, and I'm paying for 2/3 of them a month at 214.00 per 9 tabs, I start looking at triptan rebound. I've known about the rebound syndrome for years. Been addicted to Fiorinol w/cod (before Imitrex made it's big splash in the early 90's), and excederin my whole life. I don't know what I have for a stomach--don't wanna know.

But I had this one gp who would piss me off to no end (in a funny twist of fate, he's my son's best friend's father...weird.) Anyhoo, he used to smugly say, "stop taking that shit for a week and you won't get headaches." Which would make me furious, mostly because the fear of a runaway migraine makes my blood run cold. I blab about not being afraid of anything, but that's a big fat lie--I am AFRAID of migraine. If I don't get that triptan window, I can expect at least 3 days of vomiting and pain that truly I can't describe, but I know FireDancer knows what I'm talking about. Total darkness, can't function, can't move--even to go to the bathroom or get another icepack, as this will start the vomiting again, which brings on a new level of pain hell, wash, rinse, repeat, until literally like a conflagration it burns itself out.

Without triptans, I can get this kind of migraine weekly. Before triptans in 91 or 92, my job was seriously on the line and I was strung out on fiorinol with codeine to the point of multiple doctors, lies, the whole nine yards.

And what I have always found to be the ultimate irony with narcotics is they--even the awesome demerol shots at the ER--don't take away the pain. I just end up tripping my ass off, in and out of consciousness and when I'm conscious the pain is THERE. It's fucking mind boggling, literally.

So when the triptans worked, I was ready for the talk show circuit. I was converted to religion, it was a happy time, and the good news is they STILL work. My first gp said, "this drug is so good, it can dx migraine, if you take this and it doesn't work--you don't have migraine." That's what he said! A pretty heretical POV from a scientific viewpoint, but I tend to agree with him. I think there are cases of allergy or intolerance, but GENERALLY, if a triptan doesn't abort your headache there is a good chance it's NOT migraine. Not that you don't have some other type of hell's idea of headache, but triptans stop them in their tracks for me--still, almost 15 years later. Imitrex is the best for some reason for me, the others just aren't as effective. But I am a poor person. And poverty in this country doesn't merit proper medical care, unfortunately.

Obviously I could write volumes about my own migraine experience, we all could. It is the single most discouraging aspect of my complex physical health picture, because it seems to be the one illness that has the most variables and if there are degrees of randomness, the variables for migraine seem more random than variable s for other "controllable" conditions.

Anyway, lately I have stopped smoking cigarettes, again, I mostly don't smoke, but I have been for the last 6 mos., due to stupidity or stress, depending on how honest I feel (baaaaaaaaaaaaad for head) and I have cut my caffeine intake to 4 excederin tabs per day. I supplement with tylenol, I have no other sources of caffeine, e.g., Mt. Dew (slurp)...I'm really starting to relook at my role, what I put into my body specifically, in not just this condition but all of them together. Post MDD episode that nearly killed me, these secondary illnesses are finally getting some attention, so I hope to get better. I already have, just eliminating cigarettes and soda, and drinking much more H2O, already experienced a lesser degree of daily head pain. This is great news, especially since I am in my PMS mode, which is the worst time.

Thanks for the input you guys. If I can get myself down to my 9 tabs per month that my insurance will pay for, I will be a happy camper. I use them ALL the week before my period, but that's another story...and now it's probably menopausal related hormones, which could explain the intensity and frequency increase also.

What is my greatest sorrow is that in ALL my years of migraine, I have never found a truly compassionate AND competent physician to treat them. And it's too emotionally exhausting for me to seek them out. I have enough trouble with THAT with my mental health. <shrug> I feel so sorry for my Grandma, and my Aunt (migraine skipped my Mom), because they never got to try the triptans and they were as bad off as I am. Progress.

S9

At what point are they considered "rebound?" I get migraines twice a month - mid-cycle and at the beginning of my cycle. When I first started getting them, they were more sporadic - I had one, then another a couple of months later, then another a month later. It took about a year for them to become as cyclic as they are now.

I take 50-100 mg of Imitrex. The one that occurs at the beginning of my cycle usually comes back the next day and I'll take a second dose.

At what point are they considered "rebound?"
When they are pretty much constant. Or, more specifically (for me) when I'm medicating EVERY day, and the pain is there, not medicating prophelactically, but treating pain.

A couple Imitrex a month, 2 migraines a month would be heaven for me. I get at least 4 migraines in a weeks time. I have to believe this is rebound level headaches. My docs agree. I'm scarily, warily CONTEMPLATING detoxing. Only because I can't buy this shit anymore. It cost more than any recreational drug I was every strung out on--that's a bitter irony, or, pill...if you will... ;)

Bottom line, it fucking SUCKS BALLS!

I'm so sick of my fucking head hurting, I want to jump off a building. You can tell it hurts now, can't you.  :) And this isn't even migraineous pain, because true migraine pain doesn't permit me to

1. wear clothes

2. leave my darkroom

3. go far at all from my throw up container

4. move, at all, even to hydrate myself unless I feel like I'm dying and I probably am, but I forget to take a gallon or 3 of water to my room when it's time for a session with the devil.

for 3 days...minimum...36 hours, MINIMUM!! Fucking hell right I'll pay 27 bucks for a 100 mgs of Imitrex. I need to research an out of country pharmacy, I've never done this. Have any of you?

S9

Archived