CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else often get very overstimulated or overwhelmed in crowds or around bright or flashing lights? Sensory overload seems to be a part of schizophrenia/schizoaffective that isn't talked about much.

Yes, I'm very sensitive to bright/flashing lights as well. Some days I'm very sensitive to sounds too and can't stand the sound of people talking. It feels like it just takes so much energy to pay attention to everything. But, other days I can go somewhere bright/crowded without much difficulty. 

• Like 1

I do n't like being in big crows of people.  Makes me very anxious and stressed out, more than I usually am.  I feel like I want to scream sometimes ... Although I do avoid being in a large crowd so I don't have to deal with this.  If this happens though, and there is too much going on, ie stuff coming at me all at one, my anxiety is a nightmare and I become very overwhelmed.  Not every time though.  I need someone with me who I feel safe with, which does help.

2 hours ago, Dunsparce said:

It feels like it just takes so much energy to pay attention to everything.

I agree^^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dphxa said:

It's also a symptom of autism spectrum disorders.  I have found that cutting off one of the senses helps.  I either close my eyes or put in earplugs or use noise cancelling headphones.

True but I'm definitely not autistic.

I get auditory sensory overload when I am manic or sometimes when otherwise psychotic; I just cannot shut out auditory stimuli then.

• Like 1

I deal with this fairly frequently too. I get overwhelmed by sounds, sights (especially bright colors or lights), and smells (especially perfume or chemical smells). It's horrible. 

• Like 1

Although I don't have sz.. I am very sensitive to lights.. esp the damn fluorescent lights.. Walmart, Verizon, Lowes,etc certain stores just really set me off.. I can hear the buzzing and it over stimulants me and makes me nuts. it's like i hyper focus on it. And like AURA said.. certain smells can trigger my anxiety as well. I worked at a Gas Dock.. and I was around Gas and Diesel fumes all day and eventually I got used to it.. but at first it really made me panic.

• Like 1

There is this one cologne that triggers me ... the cologne that the person who molested me wears.

20 hours ago, Closure said:

I get auditory sensory overload when I am manic or sometimes when otherwise psychotic; I just cannot shut out auditory stimuli then.

Oh definitely. It's like 100 times worse when manic or psychotic. Everything is much more intense. Sounds are heightened, colours are much more bright, people are louder and seem to be in your face more.

2 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Oh definitely. It's like 100 times worse when manic or psychotic. Everything is much more intense. Sounds are heightened, colours are much more bright, people are louder and seem to be in your face more.

Do you guys think the sensory overload/acute sensitivity is more due to psychosis (or an imminent psychotic episode) or mania? Or equally both? I'm just curious about this.

Edited by cloudmonger

48 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

Do you guys think the sensory overload/acute sensitivity is more due to psychosis (or an imminent psychotic episode) or mania? Or equally both? I'm just curious about this.

I think both, because I have gotten hyperacuity both while manic but not psychotic and while psychotic but not manic.

3 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

I had a tdoc who told me it's a psychotic symptom. I get it outside of severe mood episodes.

On 1/27/2017 at 1:50 AM, dazed and confused said:

Does anyone else often get very overstimulated or overwhelmed in crowds or around bright or flashing lights?

This in itself will cause me to become symptomatic ... more psychosis than manic.

On 29/01/2017 at 5:23 AM, cloudmonger said:

I think maybe both but definitely more to do with psychosis.