CrazyBoards.org

Buspar questions

So I just keep thinking about Buspar. Why? Well by some doctors I have been told flat out its "Pixie Dust" I have read the research on it

Basically it's a Presynaptic Dopamine antagonist? What other medication work like this? Antipsychotic meds.. but why is this so different ?

Do people create cocktails using this medication?

Can I have some feedback of people's experiences ?

Thanks

Edited by 300.3

My experience with BuSpar was also not good. I was prescribed 90 mg, instructed to start with 45 mg, and go up as needed. It made me more anxious, so I increased the dose to 90 mg, which made me manic as fuck. I had to discontinue taking it immediately. It also makes me rage. Like, hardcore rage. I can't even tolerate 5 mg/day because of the seething anger it causes in me. I have no idea why it does this to me.

35 minutes ago, 300.3 said:

Basically it's a Presynaptic Dopamine antagonist? What other medication work like this? Antipsychotic meds.. but why is this so different ?

Do people create cocktails using this medication?

Yes, BuSpar is a presynaptic dopamine antagonist—the presynaptic dopamine receptors are autoreceptors, so when you antagonize them, it causes more release of dopamine (disinhibition of release). Antipsychotic meds work as postsynaptic dopamine antagonists if I'm not mistaken, except for a few which are not available in the US, like amisulpride and flupenthixol at low doses, which work as selective presynaptic dopamine antagonists in low doses. Flupenthixol is related to thiothixene, which is available in the US, and makes me wonder if since the two are related if thiothixene in low doses causes selective presynaptic dopamine antagonism... I have read that thiothixene does inhibit the dopamine autoreceptor at D2 receptors, which causes "more dopamine turnover."

Yes, people create cocktails with this medication, mostly to mitigate SSRI poopout or to augment an SSRI.

Buspar was the first pysch medication I was prescribed.. I was 12 and it helped with my eating disorder and depression/anxiety. It took forever to work, but all of sudden it worked. I did not take anything else med wise.. but it was very strange I went to an MD doctor who prescribed the Buspar was also on the holistic side.. I took 20 supplements a day along with Buspar and he fixed me. I weighed 71 pounds at 12 years old. I even got on an Airplane!! I was deathly afraid of planes. I was stable for about 2 years with that med.

Not sure if that's the answer you're looking for haha. 

How important is it that I take three pills per day as rx'd? Can't I just take 1.5 twice per day? I have zero anxiety of any kind and I'm not entirely sure why she called it in for me. To augment my other antidepressants, I guess. 

Is it like xanax where you take it, it works, then stops in a few hours or is it like an antidepressant, where you just take it daily and it works in the background as it builds up? 

Can I just take all three at once? My doc would tell me to play around with the dosing, but I figured I'd ask you guys. Taking all of these pills multiple times daily is such a lifestyle adjustment.... 

Edited by CantEven

7 minutes ago, CantEven said:

How important is it that I take three pills per day as rx'd? Can't I just take 1.5 twice per day? I have zero anxiety of any kind and I'm not entirely sure why she called it in for me. To augment my other antidepressants, I guess. 

Is it like xanax where you take it, it works, then stops in a few hours or is it like an antidepressant, where you just take it daily and it works in the background as it builds up? 

Can I just take all three at once? My doc would tell me to play around with the dosing, but I figured I'd ask you guys. Taking all of these pills multiple times daily is such a lifestyle adjustment.... 

If anxiety is not your major symptom, then your doctor probably called it in for you because she is trying to approximate the action of some of the newer antidepressants by augmenting your (older) antidepressant with Buspar.

Buspar is more like an antidepressant than Xanax in the way it works. It has to build up in your system to work whereas Xanax doesn't have to.

We can't tell you how to take it. For that you should contact your doctor or at least your pharmacist. From my experience, it's not a med that you want to take all at once because even the way it was prescribed to me, it made me nauseous and dizzy. I can't imagine taking it all at once.

Im just looking for experiences for myself and for my brother . Thanks guys for sharing.. 

I figured you guys would have said the stuff doesn't work.. but apparently it does.

I asked the question because my brother was just put on 5mg 3x a day

I think it's to low of a dosage if you ask me..

Edited by 300.3

17 hours ago, jt07 said:

If anxiety is not your major symptom, then your doctor probably called it in for you because she is trying to approximate the action of some of the newer antidepressants by augmenting your (older) antidepressant with Buspar.

Buspar is more like an antidepressant than Xanax in the way it works. It has to build up in your system to work whereas Xanax doesn't have to.

We can't tell you how to take it. For that you should contact your doctor or at least your pharmacist. From my experience, it's not a med that you want to take all at once because even the way it was prescribed to me, it made me nauseous and dizzy. I can't imagine taking it all at once.

Thanks! Can you please elaborate on approximating the action of newer antidepressants by augmenting my current antidepressant?

I am taking Lamictal, Effexor, and Wellbutrin. I was taking Latuda, not sure if she'll want me to go back on it or not. 

Well, Viibryd and possibly Trintellix (not entirely sure about that one though) acts on the serotonin receptors like an SSRI plus Buspar. The added effect on the serotonin receptors is thought to lower the side effect profile (especially sexual side effects) as well as increase the efficacy of the antidepressant. 

I think the Buspar is worth a shot. I took Buspar and it didn't really help me, but I did not take it to augment an antidepressant. Theoretically, the reasons for augmenting with Buspar are pretty clear.

That makes sense. I had written Viibryd off because I am already taking an SNRI and an NDRI. I heard it was like an SSRI + Buspar but didn't have anxiety so thought it was irrelevant to me, but maybe I should try that instead of effexor. I will ask, thanks! 

My gdoc prescribed Buspar for me a long time ago for anxiety. It did absolutely nothing for me, except make me dizzy and nauseated. My gdoc did say that it either works great or doesn't work at all. My current pdoc shares a similar opinion of it, but it's supposed to be pretty well tolerated. Probably worth a shot.