CrazyBoards.org

Any antihistamines with inherent nasal decongestant properties?

I am currently on desloratadine (Clarinex) because I read that it has the inherent ability to decongest stopped up nasal passages, but I've found that over the past few years of taking it, it does not, in fact, do this for me.

They make a formulation of it with pseudoephedrine, but for one, it's brand-name only without any coupons available, and two, I'm practically immune to pseudoephedrine.

I've also tried fexofenadine (Allegra), loratadine (Claritin), cetirizine (Zyrtec), levocetirizine (Xyzal), hydrozyine pamoate (Vistaril), promethazine (Phenergan), and chlorpheniramine and several other OTCs with no luck.

Does anyone have any experience with an antihistamine with decongestant properties? For instance, does clemastine (Tavist), carbinoxamine (Arbinoxa/Karbinal ER/Palgic), cyclizine (Cyclivert), dexchlorpheniramine (Chlor-trimeton), or Tripohist (triprolidine) have decongestant properties?

Edited by mikrw33

What about flonase?  Idk if it is an antihistamine or not, but It calms down the inflammation in my nasal passages, so they don't stay as clogged up as they might be. 

The reason I tried it on the first place (before it was OTC) was because I had one sinus infection after another.  After using flonase I had less than a quarter of sinus infections than I did without it.  So for me it works or that.

In the severe cases for me with a lot of pain ... I will use afrin, then after my nose clears I use the flonase right after, to help keep the swelling down.  I don't need afrin all the time, just when that bad pain happens.

^^This was what my allergist told me to do.  It was the best advice he's ever given me.

https://www.flonase.com/faqs/

FLONASE® helps block 6 of the key allergic responses your body has to allergies while antihistamines help block 1 of the responses.*

Antihistamines work by blocking the effects of histamine, which is only 1 of the 6 key chemicals released in the inflammatory cascade.

And unlike allergy pills, which have to travel through the body before providing relief, FLONASE® is a nasal spray that works directly at the source—in the nose, where you need it most.

3 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

What about flonase?  Idk if it is an antihistamine or not, but It calms down the inflammation in my nasal passages, so they don't stay as clogged up as they might be. 

The reason I tried it on the first place (before it was OTC) was because I had one sinus infection after another.  After using flonase I had less than a quarter of sinus infections than I did without it.  So for me it works or that.

In the severe cases for me with a lot of pain ... I will use afrin, then after my nose clears I use the flonase right after, to help keep the swelling down.  I don't need afrin all the time, just when that bad pain happens.

^^This was what my allergist told me to do.  It was the best advice he's ever given me.

https://www.flonase.com/faqs/

I can't tolerate intranasal steroids like Flonase and the likes. They made my nose bleed and the skin in my nostrils peel and bleed. I have no idea why. Plus I've never benefited from any of the nasal steroids I've tried. I should also mention I've tried intranasal antihistamines like Patanase and Azelastine and they didn't help either, just put a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm practically addicted to Afrin... lol. I know I shouldn't use it all the time because of rebound congestion, but it's the only thing that relieves the congestion. I've also tried the l-methamphetamine inhalers and benzedrine inhalers, the former with more success but only moderate success.

I suppose I could give an intranasal steroid another try.

15 minutes ago, mikrw33 said:

I can't tolerate intranasal steroids like Flonase and the likes. They made my nose bleed and the skin in my nostrils peel and bleed. I have no idea why. Plus I've never benefited from any of the nasal steroids I've tried. I should also mention I've tried intranasal antihistamines like Patanase and Azelastine and they didn't help either, just put a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm practically addicted to Afrin... lol. I know I shouldn't use it all the time because of rebound congestion, but it's the only thing that relieves the congestion. I've also tried the l-methamphetamine inhalers and benzedrine inhalers, the former with more success but only moderate success.

I suppose I could give an intranasal steroid another try.

Oh, ok ... so you are looking for a pill kind?

That sucks you can't use the nasal sprays (or most of them).

With the afrin ... you and me both!  Although you know, I have finally broken the addiction ... (this virus could have been one of the best things that has happened to me) ... I know you can't use the nose sprays but FWIW I'll tell you my experience in case it can help ...

I had been (before getting sick) using afrin so much ... at least 2x/day, and have been for at least 2-3+ years.  Everytime i would see/called my allergist he always asked about the afrin and how much I used ... and I told him 2x/day, and that I have to take it because otherwise I can't breathe. 

When I recently got sick, he gave me some very valuable advice:  he said after you use the afrin and your nose clears, use the flonase right when that happens, so it will help calm the inflammation down when the airways are open.  And after I tried that once (the afrin then flonase), it really worked well ... so I continued to do it, and after a week or so, I rarely needed afrin anymore.  I still use it, but maybe 3-4x/week (and once a day, no more) instead of everyday, 2x/day.  I still have to sleep almost upright and on my back or my nose will clog up again.  I have no idea why.  But it works.

My DR also said that if you used afrin too much, it will wear down the septum in the nasal passages in an area where you can't grow it back ... it is permanent.  That made me nervous.

46 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Oh, ok ... so you are looking for a pill kind?

That sucks you can't use the nasal sprays (or most of them).

With the afrin ... you and me both!  Although you know, I have finally broken the addiction ... (this virus could have been one of the best things that has happened to me) ... I know you can't use the nose sprays but FWIW I'll tell you my experience in case it can help ...

I had been (before getting sick) using afrin so much ... at least 2x/day, and have been for at least 2-3+ years.  Everytime i would see/called my allergist he always asked about the afrin and how much I used ... and I told him 2x/day, and that I have to take it because otherwise I can't breathe. 

When I recently got sick, he gave me some very valuable advice:  he said after you use the afrin and your nose clears, use the flonase right when that happens, so it will help calm the inflammation down when the airways are open.  And after I tried that once (the afrin then flonase), it really worked well ... so I continued to do it, and after a week or so, I rarely needed afrin anymore.  I still use it, but maybe 3-4x/week (and once a day, no more) instead of everyday, 2x/day.  I still have to sleep almost upright and on my back or my nose will clog up again.  I have no idea why.  But it works.

My DR also said that if you used afrin too much, it will wear down the septum in the nasal passages in an area where you can't grow it back ... it is permanent.  That made me nervous.

Yeah I was hoping for a pill.

Yeah it does suck because they hold the most promise for congestion it seems.

That's about where I am with my Afrin usage, at least 2x/day. My allergist always asks me about my Afrin usage too lol.

That is some valuable advice. I may try it.

Oooh, that's scary!! I definitely need to calm it down on the Afrin usage... lol.

Well, looks like I'm going to be taking a nasal steroid again. I dug out some Rhinocort allergy spray, which before gave me nosebleeds, but I'll give it a try again. I may pay my ENT a visit and see if he can recommend another one. One thing that really has in the past helped me quite a lot is NasalCrom, but you have to take it 4-6 times a day for it to be effective. I think I'll resume it as well, but it's hard to maintain the habit of using it.

1 hour ago, mikrw33 said:

Well, looks like I'm going to be taking a nasal steroid again. I dug out some Rhinocort allergy spray, which before gave me nosebleeds, but I'll give it a try again. I may pay my ENT a visit and see if he can recommend another one. One thing that really has in the past helped me quite a lot is NasalCrom, but you have to take it 4-6 times a day for it to be effective. I think I'll resume it as well, but it's hard to maintain the habit of using it.

Maybe use the nasal steroid minimally/less than you used to? ... might prevent the problems you've had with them in the past (nose bleed and skin around nostrils peel and bleed):

I think it would be a very good idea to see your ENT.