CrazyBoards.org

Looking for a better antipsychotic

I'm currently on Loxapine. It makes me so tired I can't function until 11 am or later. 

Most of the atypical ones are too expensive. Risperdal didn't work. So I think a typical is best. I'm particularly interested in haldol as it is on the $4 list at Wal-Mart. Anyone have good experiences with a typical antipsychotic that doesn't cause bad sedation. Hell, even if haldol causes sedation, at least I'd be saving money. 

Hi there!

So I have been on loxapine for about a week, and it doesn't make me sedated or tired, which I find strange, because it does this to others. The med that makes me sleepy and sedated is my seroquel. 

Anyway,

Haldol is a very good med for psychosis. However, when I took it for a year I don't recall anything from that whole year, it like vanished my memory. But the most severe side effect was Akathisia, I could not even sit through dinner without needing to get up and walk around. It was horrible. So even though it was helpful for the voices it had an overall nasty side effect profile. I was on Prolixin for 1.5 years and its pretty cheap. It worked when I took it without the seroquel but there were interactions between the seroquel and the prolixin so I had to switch the prolixin for loxapine. 

If you do decide to try Haldol, I hope it works for you. It's pretty potent!

16 minutes ago, Chantho said:

I already take it at night. :/ It's only first thing in the morning that I'm groggy, but my kids wake up at 6 am. 

I started taking it at like 7pm instead of right before bed, as it made me sleep through my alarm. :P 

Have you talked to your doc about it being a problem for you?

I'm currently on 15mg haldol and have no side effects from it other than some slight shaking in the hands when I pick something up. I don't find it to be particularly effective, though my dose has just increased and I'm waiting on the increase to take effect. Hopefully it'll work for you, I know a lot of people it's been beneficial for! I'm just some sort of weird abberation as far as I can tell.

In no particular order:

• Fluphenazine (Prolixin)
  • Haloperidol (Haldol)
  • Perphenazine (Trilafon) (not sure if it's sedating or not... never taken it)
  • Prochlorperazine maleate (Compazine)
  • Thiothixene (Navane) (might not be that cheap)
  • Trifluoperazine (Stelazine) (might not be that cheap)

I tried taking it at 7. I was barely functional when I got my boys ready for bed. And I was still tired in the morning, just not for as long. I think I'm going to talk to my Pdoc about only taking it when I start getting elevated.