CrazyBoards.org

Weight gain

Jewels2818

So I've been on Rexulti and Lexapro for about a year now and I have gained 40 pounds!  I go to the doc on Tuesday and I'm going to ask for her to put me on  wellbutrin  instead and ability... Does anyone have experience with this combo of meds?  I'm 43 and female and struggle a lot with bpd and ptsd

Edited by Jewels2818

@Jewels2818, I have no personal experience with Abilify, although have seen a few people on here who have gained weight on it..........However, your experience may be different--some people haven't had any gain.

I take Wellbutrin, and it hasn't caused any weight gain for me......However, be careful with WB if you have any kind of anxiety disorder......Sometimes it can increase anxiety, so start out out at the lowest dose possible, if your doc agrees to let you try it.

My anxiety hasn't gotten any worse with the WB, but hasn't really gotten any better, either......I take WB for depression, but I also have anxiety and OCD, which I take other meds for.

I'm trying to get my doc to let me try something else for depression, since it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything for me...But again, your experience may be different.....Most folks seem to do well on it, from what I've seen here, so it's worth a try, IMO.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Abilify was weight-neutral for me.  Didn't gain anything.  Same with wellbutrin ... didn't gain weight on it either.

8 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

However, be careful with WB if you have any kind of anxiety disorder......Sometimes it can increase anxiety, so start out out at the lowest dose possible, if your doc agrees to let you try it.

Totally agree.  Fortunately I didn't have that problem with anxiety, but just knowing how it effects me I know if I went any higher in dose it would make me anxious. 

Like CrazyRedhead said above, it might be worth a try (IMO also).  Just keep in mind YMMV (everyone is different, and what might happen to one person wouldn't happen to another).