CrazyBoards.org

Vaccination anxiety

I was not sure what forum to put this in, but mods feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate forum.

I am due for my annual wellness exam in 2 weeks-I have always done this every year......My GP has sent me a list of what will be done at my exam this year....

I expected all the usual things they routinely do, but there's something new on there this year......VACCINES.

They want me to get a DTap vaccine (Diptheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough), AND a flu vaccine..........My last tetanus was in 2004, when I was still working with animals every day......I know Tetanus is recommended every 10 years, and I had no serious reaction to the last one I got in 2004, but I am still scared to get it.

I have not have a Diptheria or Whooping Cough vaccine in 40 years, since I was a kid, so why all of sudden after all this time, do I need these?

Also, I have NEVER had a flu vaccine, even during that swine flu scare in 2009......I can't even remember the last time I got the flu, maybe 20 years ago, at a guess....

Bottom line, I am so scared of getting all the vaccines, especially all of them in one day, because of all the toxic ingredients in them, including mercury, and also possibility of adverse reactions......

I know the doc is going to tell me they are all perfectly safe, but that really won't convince me.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I was told that the DTap is required every 20 years now. I also had it as a child, but didn't get the following required one (at age 25), so just recently had to get one. I now am covered for 20 years, until age 60 apparently. I was told by the doc that with this particular vaccine, your immunity "wears off" after 20 years. Sucks!

I have previously had many Flu shots, and the Measles/Rubella one with no problemo, but I must say (hope I don't scare you) the DTap was the most painful! Several hours after the shot, my shoulder swelled up the size of a golf ball and was super painful for 4 days. I was extremely tired, came down with a small fever and swollen lymph nodes. This all resolved within 5 days after the shot. My doc had warned me beforehand that this reaction could occur (somewhat rare), I just really didn't think it would happen for me.

I've heard that individuals with compromised immune systems or ppl that have seizures, should probably not get this vaccine.

Edited by cloudmonger

1 minute ago, cloudmonger said:

I was told that the DTap is required every 20 years now.

That does suck,  especially if there's a possibility of a painful reaction like you had.

I am thinking about just declining all the shots, since I hardly leave the house anymore, anyway.

Vaccines are perfectly safe and are not toxic. That is a myth that they are toxic. The only thing to watch out for are egg allergies because some of these vaccines are created using eggs. 

I get a flu vaccine every year because I remember all too well the last time I had the flu, and I'm not sure that I could survive another bout that severe. I never get any bad reactions from the flu vaccine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jt07 said:

Vaccines are perfectly safe and are not toxic. That is a myth that they are toxic. The only thing to watch out for are egg allergies because some of these vaccines are created using eggs. 

I get a flu vaccine every year because I remember all too well the last time I had the flu, and I'm not sure that I could survive another bout that severe. I never get any bad reactions from the flu vaccine. 

First of all. Let me say that I'm most defintelty not an anti-vaxxer.  But JT's statement is untrue. Every medical intervention involves risk, including vaccines. And many of them are certainly not non-toxic. The preservatives and adjuvants used in vaccines are some of the most toxic chemicals out there, including mercury and aluminum. Some people will have reactions to these vaccines, some very serious. But the numbers are small, but that is not much reassurance if you or your child happens to be one of the few suffering the consequences. 

But it should be noted that the US has largely abolished the use of these toxic chemicals by switching to single-use ampules, which don't require the toxic preservatives to prevent microbial infection from multiple needle injections. In fact, the the only US vaccines today that have more than tiny trace amounts of these chemicals in them are flu shots, which still typically contain mercury. Write your legislators and the pharmaceutical companies, and pressure them to switch to single use ampules for flu shots as well. We have the technology to avoid the toxins. Why not use it?  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jt07 said:

First of all. Let me say that I'm most defintelty not an anti-vaxxer.  But JT's statement is untrue. Every medical intervention involves risk, including vaccines. And many of them are certainly not non-toxic. The preservatives and adjuvants used in vaccines are some of the most toxic chemicals out there, including mercury and aluminum. Some people will have reactions to these vaccines, some very serious. But the numbers are small, but that is not much reassurance if you or your child happens to be one of the few suffering the consequences. 

But it should be noted that the US has largely abolished the use of these toxic chemicals by switching to single-use ampules, which don't require the toxic preservatives to prevent microbial infection from multiple needle injections. In fact, the the only US vaccines today that have more than tiny trace amounts of these chemicals in them are flu shots, which still typically contain mercury. Write your legislators and the pharmaceutical companies, and pressure them to switch to single use ampules for flu shots as well. We have the technology to avoid the toxins. Why not use it?  

49 minutes ago, Flash said:

In fact, the the only US vaccines today that have more than tiny trace amounts of these chemicals in them are flu shots, which still typically contain mercury. Write your legislators and the pharmaceutical companies, and pressure them to switch to single use ampules for flu shots as well. We have the technology to avoid the toxins. Why not use it?  

I will most definitely decline the flu shot, then..........I wonder why they are still choosing to use a higher amount of mercury in the flu shots when they could make them without that?........Seems strange....But who knows what's happening when Big Pharma is involved.....**SIGH**.....

I think my dog who died from the rabies shot is fueling at least some of my fear of vaccination......I feel horrible guilt because he trusted me to do the right thing for him, and when I consented to the rabies shot, he died several hours later.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

22 minutes ago, Flash said:

No. Any toxins were and are in such small amounts as to not be toxic. The vaccines themselves are not toxic and it is simply fear mongering to say that they are.

Incidentally, while mercury in sufficient quantities is toxic, aluminum is not. That is again fear mongering.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Flash said:

The is now only ONE vaccine that uses mercury. 

FWIW:

I googled a few things and found these articles:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

Do flu vaccines contain thimerosal?

Flu vaccines in multi-dose vials contain thimerosal to safeguard against contamination of the vial. Most single-dose vials and pre-filled syringes of flu shot and the nasal spray flu vaccine do not contain a preservative because they are intended to be only used once.

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/2016/10/what-ingredients-are-in-the-flu-shot/

What Ingredients Are In the Flu Vaccine?

The this year’s common quadrivalent flu shot contains the following ingredients:

• Flu Strain A/(California) (H1N1)
  • Flu Strain A/(Hong Kong) (H3N2)
  • Flu Strain B/(Brisbane)
  • Flu Strain B/(Phuket)
  • Formaldehyde
  • Aluminum Salts
  • Gelatin
  • Thimerosal
  • Chicken Egg Proteins
  • Antibiotics

Everyone who used contact lens solutions in the 1980's was subjected to thimerosal as it was used as a preservative in them. Given the sheer numbers of folks using contacts at that time you would think autism would be rampant over that period, but it is not as there is NO LINK BETWEEN thimerosal and autism.

I was a little late to the flu shot party this year due to insurance hassles. I had a very minor amount of soreness the day after and that was it.

I re-upped by pertussis (the P in TDAP) about 2 years ago because I lived in an area with re-emerging outbreaks, some fatal to infants and children, largely due to the high percentage of unvaccinated kids. I don't remember anything negative from that vaccine at all.

Similarly, about 5 years ago I got exposed to measles in the community from my job. Believe it or not, it was at a Starbucks, and I only found out because I went back there to meet someone for work and there was a public health notice posted. I was able to get a titer (blood test for immunity) done at my doctor's office, and am thankful my parents had me vaccinated as a kid and again at the end of high school. If I hadn't had vaccines, I may have had to have been quarantined for up to 2 weeks. And that would have REALLY sucked. In this case the community exposure started with someone arriving from another country at the airport, but spread wide and fast in large part due to, again, the high number of unvaccinated kids. At least one person died.

Given that I work around sick people and that I ride public transit, I'm quite happy to get the flu shot every year if it affords me any opportunity to avoid or reduce my likelihood of getting sick. It's harder on my body to get the flu and I tend to take longer to recover than average.

My last job was in a hospital, and I was required to get a whole bunch of vaccines. I can't remember them all right now but I do know they included the hepatitis vaccine (which was several shots if I am remembering right). Never had any problems.

This reminds me that I need to get a tetanus booster.