CrazyBoards.org

I have two cats. Whether I am deeply depressed or manic, they help diminish the episodes.

They sense when I'm depressed. I am lying in bed, crying and staring at the ceiling and one of them comes up and snuggles up against me. Their purring is very soothing.

One of my cats was pretty sick and I had been taking her to the vet repeatedly. She is finally recovering. I was so worried about her, and even though the worrying augmented my anxiety, I was doing better with depression because I was so focused on her.

Crazy cat lady,

Heya Ruby,

Yah I can't *wait* til I get my cat.

DH seems okay w/it as long as I take care of it, duh.

I posted somewhere about my cat that tried to pack itself in my bag when I moved to university.

And the cats that lived with the med student I stayed with when I was going for my interview.

Instead of sleeping with her, they slept with me (a stranger!).

Whether they know it or not, they help us, eh.

--ncc--

Heya Ruby,

Yah I can't *wait* til I get my cat.

DH seems okay w/it as long as I take care of it, duh.

I posted somewhere about my cat that tried to pack itself in my bag when I moved to university.

And the cats that lived with the med student I stayed with when I was going for my interview.

Instead of sleeping with her, they slept with me (a stranger!).

Whether they know it or not, they help us, eh.

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ncc,

As far as taking care of it, cats are one of the lowest-maintenance pets. Plus they're psycho and I relate to that!

My Siamese bats my face several times a night and I hold up the covers so he can burrow. My husband said I do it even when I'm deeply asleep. He's got me trained.

Mine are drawn to a person who is allergic to cats.

I have two cats. Whether I am deeply depressed or manic, they help diminish the episodes.

They sense when I'm depressed. I am lying in bed, crying and staring at the ceiling and one of them comes up and snuggles up against me. Their purring is very soothing.

One of my cats was pretty sick and I had been taking her to the vet repeatedly. She is finally recovering. I was so worried about her, and even though the worrying augmented my anxiety, I was doing better with depression because I was so focused on her.

Crazy cat lady,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ruby,

I don't have cat but a lovely doggie. Pets are wonderful

Animals really do sense when we need them and they try and be there for us.  It is not a coincidence or a "funny trick". They really know.

As for cats? They choose us, we don't choose them. They let us believe we do, but, sorry, they choose us.

I have three, all came to me when I needed them the most.

Breeze

i agree that pets are effective treatment for mental illness.  i love my cat i think she is funny and it makes me happy.  dunno if its more effective than medication but it is damn helpful!  anyways i moved and i cant have pets here so it sucks! 

I was just going to suggest on the suggestion board that we have a Pets board, since so many of us are addicted to our pets! They seem to do more, wtihout side effects, than any of our meds. I love my Loki and Anubus. Loki is about 16lbs of big cat and is white and orange with blue eyes. Anubus is all black with a white spot on his belly, has green eyes, and a longer tail than his body. They are funny-funnies! (that's the corny thing i say to them: "  you're my funny-funnies!!!)

loony for loki and n'bus

animals really do help with MI.  to the point that even the governmnet has recognized this.  under the ADA you have a right to "emotional support" companion animals just as a blind person has a right to a guide dog. 

tis true.  a landlord can not impost a no pet policy on a person with a documented mental healht dissability if that person requires a pet for emotional support.

Here is an interesting article about the legal stuff behind this.

i discovered this this summer while spazzing about how many stupid apartments have no pet policys around here.  in the end i found an apartment that allows speutered cats, so i didn't have to go through the hassle of fighting for my right to have my cats. 

yay cats!

• 3 weeks later...

I to say, while my cat is not the social cuddly type, he is a companionable and he does hang out with me when I get bad, so he does help me alot. I definitely agree with the sentiments on here.

whenever i have a panic attack or am really down in a bad or mixed state i will really want to hold my cat Sox.  I think it's because she doesn't understand but still loves me.  I'd hold the dog but she's well...too big and still jut a pup.

• 1 month later...

My Siamese bats my face several times a night and I hold up the covers so he can burrow. My husband said I do it even when I'm deeply asleep. He's got me trained.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're lucky. I once had a cat that had worked out if she stuck her whiskers up my nostrils I would wake up. Did it far too often to be accidental. AAARGHH!

Fortunately my current kitty is a truly well behaved "bed cat".

I have long two sided miaowing conversations with her. Very soothing.

Archived