CrazyBoards.org

Kratom? Good or naw?

Montague

I was just curious if any of you have tried kratom for pain, and if you can give any info on how well it did? I am considering trying it. I am not happy with "taking motrin" (as the doc tells me to do). I have been in a lot of pain for many years. There is a limit to what is healthy from motrin and others. I'd have passed that long ago, if I'd listened to doctors.

I have never tried (or even heard about) this but looked it up.  There is even a chat person (at this link below) that pops up who you can talk to about it. (I was reading the page and all of a sudden a chat person started a conversation in a chat box).

Here is some info on it:

http://www.narconon.org/drug-abuse/kratom-effects.html

Kratom is heavily promoted as a legal, undetectable, safe drug that can be used to come off stronger drugs. It is not yet illegal in the US but the breakdown products of kratom can be detected with some drug tests. Because of its legality, the drug tends to be more popular among young people who cannot yet buy alcohol and who may be concerned about being arrested with weed or other drugs.

Kratom is included in a newly-defined class of drug called New Psychoactive Substances, so-named by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. In the 2013 World Drug Report, kratom is on this list along with khat (another plant, this one from East Africa), Salvia divinorum (a plant that is widely available in the US), and synthetics ketamine, mephedrone and others. Many of these drugs are not yet illegal in the US and Europe, despite their dangerous and addictive effects.

Since the drug is also addictive,

If you get addicted to it (NOT saying you will if you try it), here is what it is like:

While every drug has different effects, the route back to sobriety is much the same from person to person. The recovery must include relief from incessant cravings near the beginning of rehab. Without this, a person undergoes a sort of daily or nightly torture, with continuous thoughts of using drugs or drug dreams at night. That’s why the Narconon drug and alcohol rehab program has a deep detoxification program very early in the recovery process.

**I encourage you to read the rest of the article.  It really gives a lot of information about it. ... adverse reactions, addiction effects, withdrawal effects ... **

• 1 month later...

Kratom is controversial. Some people say it helps, some people say it's a placebo. They were thinking of making it illegal, but the chronic pain community rose up as one, and convinced them not to.

That said, if you aren't willing to run it by your pdoc, you shouldn't take it. If you are going to take it anyway, make sure your pdoc knows so you don't have any serious interactions. Your pdoc would rather know, even if she is unhappy about it.