CrazyBoards.org

Is hypomania perfectly okay?

Tdoc today confirmed that I'm hypomanic. She says my thinking is tangential (aka I was rambling and losing my train of thought) and I'm having euphoria (thinking the world is magical and awesome) and I'm distractible. I'm also spending money and drinking and driving somewhat faster than usual.

She wants to keep an eye on me so I don't escalate into mania, but she suspects the meds I'm on will prevent full-blown mania. In that case, being hypomanic, in her opinion, is perfectly okay. Nothing to worry about (apart from escalation). 

Do you guys agree? Is hypomania a totally okay state of mind to be in? Or maybe does it depend on the person and how they experience hypo?

(I might have posted a question like this in the past, but this is a new situation for me - being heavily medicated - so the question has new meaning for me)

• Like 1

I would be very concerned about crashing after the hypomania; in my case the whole big series of episodes I have been in since last May started with just a hypomania, which turned into a crash, and the rest is history.

Edited by Closure

No, it is not ok. 

Try to look dispassionately at the symptoms you've listed already. I hope you don't mean you're combining drinking too much and driving. A lot of MI people drink as an attempt to self-medicate. To slow themselves down, practically speaking. 

Spending too much money is going to have repercussions down the road.

The world may be awesome (not your usual point of view), but is assuredly not magical.

And you need to be able to focus and not shoot off on rambling tangents. Think about where you are, in your studies and in your profession. You have a lot going that needs your full attention. You have a lot to lose.

So again: no. Hypomania is not ok, and I am very surprised at your doctor. Hyposmania can escalate very quickly into full-blown mania. I think you should call your doc and tell her you are not comfortable with this course of treatment and you want something short-term to snap you out of this.

• Like 1

I agree with those above me.  I only picture hypomania as something that gets worse (escalating into mania or crashing into depression), but even in the state you're currently describing, it doesn't sound like a good thing at all.  Being euthymic might be nice (and different?), but that's about the only good part.

4 hours ago, aura said:

Is hypomania a totally okay state of mind to be in? Or maybe does it depend on the person and how they experience hypo?

No, I don't think it is okay either. 

IMO everyone has hypo/mania a different way, but with similar symptoms.  But regardless, it is not ok to be hypomanic.  All that I can envision is escalating to mania then crashing. 

If you are able to come down from the hypo before becoming full manic, and not crashing, please post and let us know how you did it!

If I'm still feeling this way tomorrow I'm going to contact tdoc again (she told me to). I thought this was just a period related mood swing, but it might be something more than that. All I want to do is go out and drink and enjoy myself. I got a drink at an expensive bar tonight (cannot afford this!) and walked home giggling at the glory of the universe. It's hard to admit I might have a problem, but getting psychotic and having to be hospitalized again is NOT something I want. 

Just to clarify, @Gearhead, not drinking AND driving. Just driving kinda fast. Which is also bad.

Well, the question you're asking is "is hypomania OK?" Everyone seems to be saying "no, it isn't." So if you're accepting that answer, the seroquel is only partially working. I don't know how long seroquel should take to kick in; maybe 900mg just needs time...  that's a good question to ask your p-doc.

1 minute ago, ovOidampUle said:

Well, the question you're asking is "is hypomania OK?" Everyone seems to be saying "no, it isn't." So if you're accepting that answer, the seroquel is only partially working. I don't know how long seroquel should take to kick in; maybe 900mg just needs time...  that's a good question to ask your p-doc.

Sorry, what I meant was that I was properly manic on Thursday, and today I'm only hypomanic. So that means I'm coming down. The hypomania isn't a good thing, but I think it's on its way out. I think you're right that the 900mg might need a little time.

• 2 weeks later...

I love hypomania. Drugs took it away and left me limp and zombie like for a year. I feel so much better and stronger after last week episode induced by ditching all drugs.

But I never get hard come downs, usually I just need couple of days to recharge and then dive into the result of week insanity whatever it was this time. 

For a while doctors said its not BP but high functioning. My bank account and weird supplies for new hobby disagree. Every HM episode I had brought some crazy ideas but they never failed so far.

7 minutes ago, anticipateit said:

But I never get hard come downs,

If/when you crash, I think you will have another opinion about hypomania.

8 minutes ago, anticipateit said:

I feel so much better and stronger after last week episode induced by ditching all drugs.

So are you on meds now?  I couldn't figure out whether you ditched them last week or not.

• Like 1

I ditched propranalol,to be taken 2x a day at 10 mgs. I take 30mg when I go out to handle tremors, I ditched Setraline. I ditched Xanax.
Organized clinical psychologis - second visit in 2 days and she is trying to synchronize psychiatrist for same time.
I had BP for 30 years and never had hard come down besides being physically exhausted and needing sleep. Once I recover I follow up on new interest/hobby/business idea. Hypomania got me my carrier and big success in it, It got me achieve goals everyone said are impossible to achieve. Become great at doing things I never had smallest clue about when they came to my head. But as I said in my introduction post I have Aspergers too so I'm very smart, very driven and persistent when something catches my interest. I just don't like people in general especially normal ones :)

I can tell you from personal experience, your illness can change abruptly. I looked Bipolar II for years. I was diagnosed when I was 24, but had a sudden huge change when I was 42. Now my diagnosis is BP I. I've had manias, mixed episodes, and psychosis. You really can't predict your future presentation upon your past ones.

Also, are you familiar with Kindling Theory? The more episodes you have, the more easily you can be set off in the future, and more and more for no apparent reason. Here's an overview of the research on Kindling and affective disorders. The kindling model is borrowed from Epilepsy. It's long, but the stuff of interest to BP people is near the beginning of the article.

Does your pdoc know you are off your meds? It is obviously your decision as to whether you want to be treatment compliant, but even if you decided to quit them without your pdoc's guidance, it is still important that your pdoc knows what is going on.

• Like 2

I don't have a pdoc. Seeing new clinical psych and she is trying to organize one for me. There is none close by and my agoraphobia and panic attacks make it impossible to get to others. The last meds were set up by hospital doctors when I self committed 8 months ago.

If I didn't stop setraline I would probably be dead by now :(