CrazyBoards.org

What should I do? (hypomanic, docs don't care)

I've been hypomanic now for maybe 4-5 days. I met with my tdoc and she confirmed it (she knows me really well). But her advice was just to take klonopin and go to bed earlier. I took klonopin last night and was able to go to bed only slightly, like 15 minutes, earlier. I woke up a bunch of times in the night so I know I'm getting crappy sleep.

I'm sort of oscillating between euphoria and irritability. My attention span is SO SHORT to the point where I cannot focus at all in class and do rude things like check my cell phone every 5 minutes. I even get up and leave the class and come back just to pass some more time. I'm also having trouble reading for time periods longer than 2-3 minutes, and this means I'm falling behind on classwork. All I want to do is go out and drink and have fun and not do all this work stuff. I'm driving faster than I should and weaving in between cars.

So what should I do? Is this a situation worth contacting pdoc about? Tdoc seems to think it's okay for me to ride out the hypomania as long as it doesn't get worse, but I'm getting some serious deja vu. I start getting hypomanic, my docs don't care, I end up manic and in hospital. I wonder if pdoc would even care if I emailed him. Is it just me or is there something wrong with the way my doctors handle my hypomania??

2 hours ago, aura said:

So what should I do? Is this a situation worth contacting pdoc about? Tdoc seems to think it's okay for me to ride out the hypomania as long as it doesn't get worse, but I'm getting some serious deja vu. I start getting hypomanic, my docs don't care, I end up manic and in hospital. I wonder if pdoc would even care if I emailed him. Is it just me or is there something wrong with the way my doctors handle my hypomania??

Yes, I definitely think it is a good idea to contact pdoc.  Sucks that tdoc wasn't helpful; hopefully pdoc will be.

(bold) Did she say why?  IMO that is not true, that it is ok to ride it out ... I mean who knows, the next day you could be full-blown manic.  So because your tdoc said it was ok to ride it out, she kind of screwed you over. Then you'll probably crash at one point, right? And then what? 

(bold 2) No, I don't think your tdoc handled it well, IMO anyway. Not sure how pdoc will handle it.  Do your tdoc and pdoc talk to each other?

2 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Yes, I definitely think it is a good idea to contact pdoc.  Sucks that tdoc wasn't helpful; hopefully pdoc will be.

(bold) Did she say why?  IMO that is not true, that it is ok to ride it out ... I mean who knows, the next day you could be full-blown manic.  So because your tdoc said it was ok to ride it out, she kind of screwed you over. Then you'll probably crash at one point, right? And then what? 

(bold 2) No, I don't think your tdoc handled it well, IMO anyway. Not sure how pdoc will handle it.  Do your tdoc and pdoc talk to each other?

Yes, pdoc and tdoc talk. They work really closely together. Pdoc tends to be even more dismissive of hypomania than tdoc is. He acts like it's no big deal until I show up psychotic manic out of my mind and then he ships me off to hospital. I wonder if I should just take more seroquel and tell them about it later...

8 minutes ago, aura said:

Yes, pdoc and tdoc talk. They work really closely together. Pdoc tends to be even more dismissive of hypomania than tdoc is. He acts like it's no big deal until I show up psychotic manic out of my mind and then he ships me off to hospital. I wonder if I should just take more seroquel and tell them about it later...

UGH ... that totally sucks.  Personally I would be so pissed that I'd be sarcastic about it all.  How about saying to your tdoc  and pdoc (when they dismiss the hypomania and say to let it ride out) ... something like, 'ok, so you will take me seriously if/when I go manic?'  'I don't want to be hospitalized; I'd like to prevent that.'  And then see if they say anything. 

Just some thoughts.

I'd probably go melissa's route, with or without the sarcasm.  Describe the facts/symptoms you have, explain how its making you feel (you're hyptomanic and don't want to become manic) and then assert what's appropriate/desired (you need something med-wise to get you through).  then broken record it until your pdoc gets the point.

also, I know in general self-medication is bad, but I've slammed myself with seroquel before in a similar situation.  Now my pdoc was okay with it and I don't know if yours will be--he tends to give me some flexibility with prescribing. but i'd rather have you try to knock it out than just treat it like anxiety with klonopin.

Yes, Yes, Yes, contact your doctor. I don't care if your Dr. cares but you do. It is essential to advocate for yourself. You can not function properly without enough sleep. It's as bad as driving drunk. You may feel alert but you can not trust your judgment under the circumstances. Do not allow your physician to brush you off. Plant yourself in the office if you have to.

I emailed pdoc with a list of my symptoms and he suggested taking a slightly higher dose of seroquel for a little while. I still feel like he's just humoring me though... I dunno this could be my paranoia. I'm a little reluctant to take more meds cos at least right now I love how I feel, but I know it's the right thing to do.

21 minutes ago, aura said:

I slept but less than usual. I woke up pretty early. I just am so excited by life that I want to stay awake!

I know the feeling.  For me, I sometimes force myself to sleep.  Easier said than done though.  It doesn't always work, but IME I will get bad tension headaches without sleep, and I know when I get those I go into hell.  So if I think of that (when I am hypo sometimes I don't think) when hypo, I am able to force myself to at least go lay down.

Maybe ask to be put on a long term mood stabilizer? 

I find if I come in advocating for a certain medication, I have a good shot at getting it. 

I also think it's beyond fucked up that your tdoc is telling you take klonopin. First, it's way outside her scope of practice, second treating mania with a sedative is what alcoholics do. I'd definitely look into switching to new providers. 

Does it seem like a good idea to let hypomania progress to mania and then hospitalize you?  Maybe you and pdoc don't have the same goals?  Tdoc shouldn't prescribe and doesn't seem to get it. Might be worth telling pdoc hospitalization is not your goal and if that's his goal maybe you can think about a change in future. I finally have pdoc who believes me when I say I have a problem, and that is a huge help. You shouldn't need to have to push for care, IMO.