CrazyBoards.org

Can't get through a session....

without crying and blabbing.  I feel like I'm accomplishing nothing because I just continue to reidentify my problems.  I just can't seem to shut up and let him do his job.

How in the world can I stop this?  I thought of putting something in my pocket and squeezing it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crazyethel,

hey, it's alright. really, it is. when you are sitting there crying you are participating in your therapy 100%. if you were not crying you would be 'wasting his time' because you wouldn't be trying to confront what is hurting you so much.

the place you are at in your therapy is to cry when trying to deal and confront what is inside you. that is a completely valid state and way to be in therapy. it takes courage to do what you are doing. you are going to therapy. that takes the courage of a lion. how many people desperately need therapy but are not going? those people are still trying to get enough courage to GO to therapy.

you have already taken a huge step by GOING.

please, for your sake, keep going. i think you have more than enough courage.

grousemouse.

What a nurturing person you are! Thanks.

I've been in therapy before, but I've never cried like this.  I'm not sure if I'm feeling more depression than usual or whether this guy just moves me more.  He's very understanding, very bright. I think he can help if I can get some control. I've seen him about 6-8 times.  I got through the first couple of sessions okay and then the dam broke.

crazyethel,

hey, it's alright. really, it is. when you are sitting there crying you are participating in your therapy 100%. if you were not crying you would be 'wasting his time' because you wouldn't be trying to confront what is hurting you so much.

the place you are at in your therapy is to cry when trying to deal and confront what is inside you. that is a completely valid state and way to be in therapy. it takes courage to do what you are doing. you are going to therapy. that takes the courage of a lion. how many people desperately need therapy but are not going? those people are still trying to get enough courage to GO to therapy.

you have already taken a huge step by GOING.

please, for your sake, keep going. i think you have more than enough courage.

grousemouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like you are ready.

I crack me up. I go in, swear I will NOT cry, and then it's all over. Weeping Willow.

You are brave to admit this, but you aren't the only one. I think this time you will actually get somewhere.

Just because you haven't seen him long, does not mean that you are not reading him well. This could be the doc for you.

Good luck, and good health.

Breeze

Real therapy is not for the faint of heart. Sometimes you feel worse when you leave than you did when you came in, and then it can last a few days.

Congratulate yourself on working hard. You may be doing more work than you think in therapy.

Erika

I've had that issue as well.  And remember, I'm a guy... a guy who can leg press 5 times his weight and can drink anybody under the table.  I didn't bring up the true facts and my true emotions until I'd decided to in therapy after a couple months.  At which point it became a relative disaster, where I collapsed into tears and my tdoc wondered exactly what the hell was going on.

So don't be surprised that therapy, and specifically, being honest with your tdoc, can be painful.

With this latest therapist, I'm starting to have tears in my eyes. Oh God. I dread the next appt in a couple of weeks. Shit starting to break through my thoughts. Had a rough time last night when overwhelming memories came back. I don't think I'm ready to discuss them with him. I have major trust issues. But I know I'll be crying.

as my therapy sessions have progressed over the last year we have worked our way closer to big things deeply surpressed in me. and i have recently started to cry in therapy. this is a good thing because it is an indicator that we ARE drawing close to deep-seated problems for me.

tears are good. they really are. they are a sign of courage.

grouse.

Heya crazyethel,

I usually end up in tears when I see my FP and she asks how I am.

I think, like the others are saying, that it's not only okay but -- if it comes naturally -- healthy to cry when talking/thinking about hard things.

And you know?  It's not weird, really, to watch somebody cry in your office.  It's just really, really important to offer them some kleenex (and is on the exam too).

--ncc--

without crying and blabbing.  I feel like I'm accomplishing nothing because I just continue to reidentify my problems.  I just can't seem to shut up and let him do his job.

How in the world can I stop this?  I thought of putting something in my pocket and squeezing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CE, I've been seeing my guy for 2 1/2 years every week. I cried for a YEAR! Then I talked for a YEAR (I know those of you who know me--hard to imagine, ar, ar).

Then finally 2 weeks ago, I said to him, "I think I'm ready to start listening." We laughed. I said, "I'm going to let you earn your money now and tell me how to live!" After he asked me this question, "How long have you lived in survival mode?" I said, "well, all my life." It was an epiphany, I've never learned how to live. DUH!

It takes awhile to untangle some of this stuff. If you have the time, relax, and cry as much as you need to!

One more thing then I'll shut up, my girlfriend has severe GAD and can't sleep because she's so anxious at night. She saw her therapist a few weeks ago and slept through the whole session. Her therapist let her, knowing she needed it cuz she felt safe there.

Therapists see it ALL...

Hugs,

S9

Archived