CrazyBoards.org

I am 37 years old. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression when I was 18 than bipolar at 21. For years I have thought I heard my phone ring when it hasn't my name said when it wasn't etc. All of which they said was anxiety not psychosis. With in the last few months I have begun to have visual hallucinations. Most I had decided were related to being severely anxious. Little things like seeing things out of the corner of my eyes. Being very jumpy. I recently had two undeniable visual hallucinations. Very scary. Is it normal at my age to start having these now? Is it psychosis? Schizophrenia? 

• Like 1

What mood state have you been at these times? Because psychosis can be associated with any mood episode in bipolar (and note that you have with psychosis marked under your dx already). And if you say you were hypomanic at those times, you can still have been psychotic, all that means is that the episode would thusly be upgraded to mania according to the DSM-5... but that is simply a matter of definition.

If you have not been in a mood episode, you can still have psychosis. Some pdocs may diagnose that as schizoaffective bipolar-type, but some (such as my own) may not. (I am dxed as simply bipolar I despite having psychosis in normal mood.)

Edited by Closure

2 hours ago, nativegirl0629 said:

I am 37 years old. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression when I was 18 than bipolar at 21. For years I have thought I heard my phone ring when it hasn't my name said when it wasn't etc. All of which they said was anxiety not psychosis. With in the last few months I have begun to have visual hallucinations. Most I had decided were related to being severely anxious. Little things like seeing things out of the corner of my eyes. Being very jumpy. I recently had two undeniable visual hallucinations. Very scary. Is it normal at my age to start having these now? Is it psychosis? Schizophrenia? 

(bold) I am not sure about an answer to your question.

What has your pdoc said about it?  Have you talked about it with him/her?

My pdoc has tried a few anti-psychotics on me but I have not officially been diagnosed with psychosis. At least not on paper. Since I had the last hallucination a few days ago they are happening alot more. Mostly little things. I'm sure I sound paranoid but I would really like for them to do a scan of my brain before they just assume it is mental health related. My pdoc recently added a high dose of equetro to my meds. I already take depakote er. He wants me off. Of the depakote. He is weaning me off. Depakote has always worked well for me. Equetro and depakote can interact with one another so I am wandering if that could be causing this. I told him I don't like the equetro he won't listen to me. 

As my bipolar disorder has worsened over the past year, I've gotten auditory and visual hallucinations.  I was very terrified and ashamed at first, and it initially got brushed off as "anxiety."  You're not alone.  Remember that, whether med- or illness-induced, it's just another type of symptom.

I wonder why the switch from Depakote if that felt like a good fit for you?

16 hours ago, nativegirl0629 said:

but I would really like for them to do a scan of my brain before they just assume it is mental health related.

I don't think that is a lot to ask, IMO.  I would at least try asking and see what they say.

He wants me off. Of the depakote. He is weaning me off.  Depakote has always worked well for me.

Equetro and depakote can interact with one another so I am wandering if that could be causing this. I told him I don't like the equetro he won't listen to me. 

Oh, ok, that would make sense to go off of the depakote, BUT if the depakote is working and you don't want to be on Equetro, did he give you a reason as to why he won't take you off of Equetro?  Because then there wouldn't be an interaction.  Maybe he would be more open to trying a new med instead of keeping you on the Equetro?

3 hours ago, Closure said:

Just because some people have had their first hallucinations develop at a somewhat older age does not mean you will by any means.

Agreed.  I think there are lots of factors that would contribute to getting hallucinations ... *Idk this for sure, but when I had an ED it did apply to me (ie stigma of being fat, how the world saw people/views then (I can't think of the word I am trying to say), fitting in at school.  Many people being into calories back then, also some people were abused, traumatized from something.  Lack of friends, etc).  And all of this stuff mixed together caused my eating disorder to start, at least to a therapist who came to that conclusion years ago. All the factors combined.  May be similar to you, except not for an ED?

3 hours ago, Dphxa said:

Thanks I hope not.

I hope not either.

• Like 1