CrazyBoards.org

SSDI interview - what to expect?

Basically they'll ask you questions (similar to what you would put on the form that they will send you, if you haven't filled one out already), including confirming your employment history (and yes, they *do* have it all right there), why you left those jobs, and medical history.  You should have as much info as possible when you go.  Included would be meds you're on (or have been on), what your current dx is, and the like.

It's really just an information gathering interview.

They will also give you release forms to saign for records from all your healthcare providers.  fun!

CNS is right. The interview is conducted by a "Claims Representative" (CR) at the "Field Office." It is preferable to do this interview in person rather than by a combination of over the phone and by mail, although it is possible, I believe, to make an appointment to do it over the phone and then mail certain official documents and have these documents returned to you (unless they changed these policies).  The claims representative is not a trained medical expert but is supposed to make note of your appearance and if you are accompanied by someone.  I would suggest bringing someone with you to the appointment, preferably a family member or close friend or spouse.

I suggest bringing a copy of driver's license/state ID, birth certificate, social security card (if you have one), a list of past employers in the last 15 years prior to the date you became disabled and dates you worked for them and reason for leaving, definitely list of all medications you currently take for your conditions and the dosage and frequency you take them and the name of the doctor who prescribes the medications.  Ideally, you will have filled out the Disability Report Form---Adult, attached additional pages if needed, have made photocopies of all pages, and if the person conducting the interview makes any changes, ask them to make a photocopy for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the interview.  The guy had beedy little eyes and reminded me of an albino bat, so I stared at the floor.  He asked me questions like, "What day is it?"  "Who is the president?"  And I had to repeat numbers forwards and backwards and it gave me an awful headache.

CNS is right. The interview is conducted by a "Claims Representative" (CR) at the "Field Office." It is preferable to do this interview in person rather than by a combination of over the phone and by mail, although it is possible, I believe, to make an appointment to do it over the phone and then mail certain official documents and have these documents returned to you (unless they changed these policies).
Probably varies some from state to state. In PA, the interview is done by phone. After all the documents are compiled and turned in. I went through this fairly recently, filed Feb. 2005, was approved Aug. 2005.

Applied online, had to give them a shitload of info for each provider I have seen or see, continuing treatment is key...fwiw...

They sent questionnaires and requests for medical records to said providers, all of whom had already signed off on my disability for work purposes.

They sent a questionnaire to me and "another person" not a medical provider, I had them send it to my mom, with "lifestyle" questions. How does this disability diminish your capacity to do x,y,z...

I don't know if it's because I live in the Capital metro area, but my claim first went to a federal level for disposition.  After they approved it, then it went back down to the field office. I had cursory phone interviews with both reps. fed and local. The final one being with the local office, just to verify dates and other numbers. 3 weeks later she called to say I was approved, and got my bank acct. numbers.

My claim was approved in 6 mos. from start to finish. This is very not typical, but my primary disability is not MI...it is back-related and it's all there in pictures. Anybody, basically, can look at an x-ray of my back and say, "whoa, SHE is fucked up!" I have medical records that are at least 1 foot high if you pile them up. Just for my back.

I think that's why it moved so fast, even though my MI records and history were included in the SSDI evaluation, and my tdoc wrote a report that my MDD would unlikely stabilize sufficiently for me to ever work unless my chronic pain was resolved, and, unfortunately it's basically unresolvable.

The clincher, I think, was my career was administrative, I sat on my ass for 25 years and I can't sit anymore. I also can't stand for long either. I can walk around in circles real good!  ;)   Not terribly retrainable, AND, I'm still in treatment.

I think people who are filing on MI alone have a much more difficult time with the process, not to discourage you, but to encourage you to keep careful records and stay on your toes if this is the sole basis for your claim. That and don't give up!

S9

I went to the interview.  The guy had beedy little eyes and reminded me of an albino bat, so I stared at the floor.  He asked me questions like, "What day is it?"  "Who is the president?"  And I had to repeat numbers forwards and backwards and it gave me an awful headache.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds more like a mental status assessment that would be given by an examiner selected by the SSA, than it does an SSDI initial interview, fact gathering meeting with a SSA representative.

Erika

Yeah, my mom says it sounds like the test they gave my grandmother when she was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I can't remember all the guy told me.  But he said something about typing everything up and something about 10-14 days.

The information sheet said I could bring one person with me, but the albino bat guy wouldn't let my husband come back with me.

The information sheet said I could bring one person with me, but the albino bat guy wouldn't let my husband come back with me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you received this letter/information sheet, then it definitely sounds like this was the interview SSA sets up with one of their docs.

Did you ask for a copy to be sent to your own pdoc or tdoc (if you have one)? I did but my pdoc never received it. The report is sent to the SSA and put in your file.

I was told to bring someone with me too. He was never asked to come back, no one talked to him. I have no idea why the letter said I should bring someone with me only to have him have to wait in the lobby for 2 hours?

Erika

They sent me something fill out to send a copy to someone, but I didn't understand the form, so I didn't fill it out. 

There was some lady at MHMR helping me with all of this in the beginning, but I don't remember her name or number, and I haven't heard from her since like the first part of December.

I don't understand any of this stuff and I don't know who is supposed to help me figure it out.  They won't talk to my husband so that he can understand this crap and remember some of it and with me, IF I do understand what they're talking about, I forget it as soon as I leave the room.

I always thought I was pretty smart, but everything leaves me utterly confused now.  I can't concentrate to complete a thought.

I don't understand any of this stuff and I don't know who is supposed to help me figure it out.  They won't talk to my husband so that he can understand this crap and remember some of it and with me, IF I do understand what they're talking about, I forget it as soon as I leave the room.

You are not alone. wehn I was going through the process I couldn't make sense of the paperwork. I had to ask the woman the same questions again and again because I could not remember what she just told me or explained to me.

I would do some checking or make some phone calls ASAP. I don't see how they can legally deny you the right to have your husband accompany you during any meeting. Everything I remember reading said you have a right to bring soemone with you to help.

I always thought I was pretty smart, but everything leaves me utterly confused now.  I can't concentrate to complete a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, you are not alone. I have the exact same problem. You're still smart your brain is just ailing.

erika

I did all interviews over the phone. I filled out all the paperwork that they sent to me. They want it all back in so many days. So you have to stay on top of it. I was approved on the first try. It took like 6 months though. Good luck.

Archived