CrazyBoards.org

Parents and Cats!

TakeAChillPill

I hate my dad right now.  Usually I like the guy but right now he's being a stupid a-hole.  When i tell you why I am sure most of you will understand.

I have one cat now.  I've had her since June 2010.  in November 2010 I was in the mental hospital and my mother took her to the Vet and had her declawed but since then I've been able to get through to her about how wrong it is to declaw your cat.  At least i think I've gotten through to her.  It's gotten to the point where she agrees that if I ever get another cat or cats that the decision will be up to me and of course I won't have them declawed.  I think it's a despicable and ignorant act!

Now theres my father.  I told him my cat is bored as evidenced by how she chases her own tail a lot even though she's almost 7 years old.  I asked him if I could get one or two companions for her.  He said NO because I would not want to have them declawed and he passionately and stubbornly disagrees.  I called him out on his shit and he said i was acting ENTITLED which i know is bull.  

So because my dad cares more about furniture and possibly people getting  scratched than he cares about a cat's mental and physical well-being I'm not allowed to get a companion for Sushi my poor cat.  :-(

Sometimes I think life is pointless.  

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I am wondering why getting a cat declawed is a bad thing ... purely curious; I really have no idea why.

Declawing is bad because if the cat gets out, they have no way to climb trees and fend off wild animals that could attack them in the outdoors.  Even if the cat is indoors, they could slip out (as mine occasionally does) and they need to be able to defend themselves so they aren't vulnerable when they escape into the great outdoors.  Plus, cats view claws as one of the most important parts of themselves (even if they never go out) and when that's taken away from them, they can never really adjust to it.

Edited by Steve223
  • Like 1

It's unspeakably cruel and painful. It involves amputation of the last bones of the cat's feet, not just removal of the claws. It's actually banned in many places. 

Frankly, anyone who goes this route doesn't deserve to have a cat in the first place.

eta Chill, I'm very sorry you find yourself in this position.

Edited by MiaB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MiaB said:

It's unspeakably cruel and painful. It involves amputation of the last bones of the cat's feet, not just removal of the claws. It's actually banned in many places. 

Frankly, anyone who goes this route doesn't deserve to have a cat in the first place.

eta Chill, I'm very sorry you find yourself in this position.

I appreciate your sympathy.  It's refreshing because the people I deal with on a day to day basis like my parents and closer friends are all pro-declawing because they don't know any better.  It drives me insane!  People really do suck.  I'm too much of an introvert and creature of habit to try to make more friends.  On the other hand I find that I am too immature for adults my own age- I don't work or really do much of anything.  I never had kids.  I hate dating.  On the other hand, These are all reasons why cats are very important to me!

@TakeAChillPill, I think you should let your dad know that declawed cats are more likely to defend themselves by BITING....maybe that would change his mind:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/#effects

Many vets don't even do declawing anymore.......My cat, whom I adopted from a rescue organization, is not declawed..........When I adopted her, it stated in my adoption contract that declawing was not permitted.

Declawing is getting more and more out of favor with vets, because public awareness is growing about the cruelty of this ignorant practice.

IMO, a person who declaws for fear of their precious furniture, shouldn't even have a cat in the first place.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@TakeAChillPill, I think you should let your dad know that declawed cats are more likely to defend themselves by BITING....maybe that would change his mind:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/#effects

Many vets don't even do declawing anymore.......My cat, whom I adopted from a rescue organization, is not declawed..........When I adopted her, it stated in my adoption contract that declawing was not permitted.

Declawing is getting more and more out of favor with vets, because public awareness is growing about the cruelty of this ignorant practice.

IMO, a person who declaws for fear of their precious furniture, shouldn't even have a cat in the first place.....

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately I know my dad well enough to realize he just doesn't care and won't read it at all- ever. All my moms cats have been declawed and none of them bit but I knew they were always somewhat depressed.  I'm very sensitive to kitties' feelings.  

I just hate how stubborn he is.  Then he tries to make me feel at fault.  

16 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I am wondering why getting a cat declawed is a bad thing ... purely curious; I really have no idea why.

It's because it's the amputation of the last section of their paw joints. To put it in human terms, it's like having the last 3/4" to 1" of all your fingers cut off. Honestly, my cats have never scratched any of my furniture, save for occasionally my bed. I have two cat trees, and those work. But even though they don't actively claw my furniture, they still destroy it over time, unintentionally. I have all leather furniture, and some has remained virtually unscathed, while other pieces have been seriously damaged. It's a price you pay for having feline friends. My wood floors have been scratched up a bit too. 

Edited by Flash

• 3 weeks later...

Declawing is pure mutilation. I am glad you are so against it and very sorry your mom had your cat declawed while you were in the hospital.  I had a thought: what about adopting an older cat from the shelter whose previous owner declawed them? That way your kitty could have a companion, your dad would be mollified, and you wouldn't be inflicting pain and cruelty on a cat.

• Like 1