CrazyBoards.org

Last night my husband said I should shut up the voices with the power of my mind and self control and to get my act together. He's usually quite understanding but this was a really awful thing to say. I wish I could shut up the voices! I'm embarassed to say his comment made me cry

That would make me cry, too.  It was an ignorant statement. 

Do you have a diagnosis? There is a lot of information, some better than others, about different mental illnesses and symptoms. Maybe if he learned more he would be more understanding.

Okay. It has a mood and thought component.

Maybe, you could take him to a doc appt. with you and they could explain how you can't just make them go away. Or, there are organizations like NAMI and DBSA. NAMI is mostly for family members. They have a 12 week educational course and support groups. DBSA is mostly for people with mood disorders and has support groups. They both have national websites.I am sure there are more, those are just the ones that come to mind.

As far as the voices, mine went away with medication eventually. That doesn't happen for everyone but is a possibility. Stress makes my symptoms worse.

There are all kinds of books. From autobiographies to "bipolar for dummies". There is even a BP magazine.

Some pdocs do mainly treat the symptoms while they try to figure out the correct dx. 

That was a terrible thing to say! No need to be embarrassed for crying. That's just awful. Maybe he was just in a bad mood and doesn't really feel that way?

I had a teacher once when I first became ill say that I needed to get my act together. It was an extremely hurtful and ignorant comment.

3 minutes ago, jt07 said:

That was a terrible thing to say! No need to be embarrassed for crying. That's just awful. Maybe he was just in a bad mood and doesn't really feel that way?

I had a teacher once when I first became ill say that I needed to get my act together. It was an extremely hurtful and ignorant comment.

I don't know if he really feels that way but I'm feeling very lonely and sad since he said that

9 hours ago, Orbiting said:

Last night my husband said I should shut up the voices with the power of my mind and self control and to get my act together. He's usually quite understanding but this was a really awful thing to say. I wish I could shut up the voices! I'm embarassed to say his comment made me cry

That was a awful thing to say!  I would have cried also.  Are you in therapy?  I agree bringing him to a therapy appt (or pdoc etc) might help, if he is willing to go.  Or even couples therapy. 

Is this the first time your husband has said something to you like this?

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

That was a awful thing to say!  I would have cried also.  Are you in therapy?  I agree bringing him to a therapy appt (or pdoc etc) might help, if he is willing to go.  Or even couples therapy. 

Is this the first time your husband has said something to you like this?

Yes, I'm in therapy and he always goes with me to pdoc appointments. It's the first time he says it although he has implied this many times. Maybe I could ask pdoc to explain him? 

1 minute ago, Orbiting said:

Yes, I'm in therapy and he always goes with me to pdoc appointments. It's the first time he says it although he has implied this many times. Maybe I could ask pdoc to explain him? 

I think that would be a great idea!

I would also let pdoc know what he said to you, because that was a low blow and very hurtful.  And IMO I think it needs to be addressed ... hopefully he will learn from that.