Your weirdest phobias

CraZgrrl: I didn't think anyone listened to REM especially liking BAD DAY!      We're sick of being jerked around we all fall down

Of late I can't touch anything in a public bathroom like the doorknob. I have to have a towel to guard against whatever is lurking there.

People trying to take a sip of my drink or a bite of my food. I have to throw it away if they touch it in any way.

Germs on taps and door handles. I have to cup water in my hands to throw over the tap after I've turned it off, and I can't touch the door handle of a public bathroom. I wash my own doors and door handles at home so that they're safe to touch.

Planes that are overhead, because they are going to fall out of the sky and kill me,  especially if I stare at them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

omg... me toooooo! I live right under the flight path for PDX, and I catch myself holding my breath every time one of the planes flies over. With me, I think it's residual stuff from 9/11. Completely illogical, but whatever.

As for the rest... I have to break my list up into things I am actually afraid of and things I just plain don't like. Otherwise I feel like far too much a wuss.

Things I am actually afraid of:

~ Disease and injury in my loved ones, animals included. (Funny that... I don't care if I am all screwed up, but if my cat sneezes, I'm a mess!)

~ Crowds... but not all the time. Only when my anxiety is acting up.

~ The phone. This one has gone from the don't like list to here. I think I obsessed about not liking it too much so now I'm actually afraid. >.<

~ Bugs being on me. I'm all cool with bugs outside and away from me. I don't seek them out to destroy them... but when one lands on me, ICK! I can feel bugs crawling on me for hours afterwards. OH! And moths! YUCK! I am terrified of moths in any circumstance!

~Doors opening in my face. In high school I had to walk down the center of the hallway because the doors opened outwardly and I just knew one would open and slam me right in the face.

Now for the other...

Things I just plain don't like, though I'm not technically *afraid* of them:

~Clowns/ mimes/ The King king.jpg 'nuff said.

~ People who are unconscious. Specifically, I went to see my grandpa in the nursing home before he died. It wasn't grief or being sad that he was going to die.. I was just profoundly uncomfortable because he was unconscious. Weird, huh?

I forgot the rest. I need more coffee.

Oh, but what about things that irrationally amuse us? Like... I can't see a goat or a flamingo without giggling uncontrollably for several minutes. AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!

First, great topic Helena!

My phobias:

Meat (so I am vegan- no animal products

becoming fat

seeing things that aren't there (happens sometimes)

tennis balls

war

CLOWNS and any fake people (dolls, stuff like that)

catching diseases/people sharing my food (I won't touch it after that)

afraid of life....

Moved as phobias are a class of anxiety disorder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damnit, I thought VE was gonna tell us his boogey monsters.

Mine are: close quarters with large crowds. Like concerts

The grocery store, I don't know if I'm phobic or just HATE it.

But here's a weird one, those trucks that carry big panels of glass. And car carrying big trucks. Regular big trucks, no prob.

My dad's racing buddy got killed last week when a rig carrying a front end loader went under a bridge, knocked the front end loader off the truck and smushed bill like a bug. Poof. Gone. That bothers me. Being behind big trucks going under bridges. Also, being behind vehicles hauling trailers cuz this lady I used to work with and her kid were killed when the trailer seperated from the truck. The kid was 8, she was 40 or so. Long time ago, but I still think about it. Her 14 y.o. daughter was a volunteer for me at our job.

Sad.

I'm definitely not a germaphobe at home, but I don't like natural bodies or water. I love the ocean, but I won't go in it. I dated a microbiologist. <shiver>

hmmm pretty much everything.  For me it's this impending sense of doom.  Watching Donnie Darko really hit home.  I always have this sixth sense that something will fall out of the sky and land on my car and kill me....or I'll end up in a tragic car wreck....or I'll get some form of terminal cancer, which I'll die from.  Don't know, I've had a bunch of random ass childhood diseases including lyme disease and viral meningitis so I just am convinced that I'm cursed......

the toilet water tank. i HATE opening that lid. gah! big GAH!

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

would it be rude, and unsupportive to...laugh? That's funny. Not to you! I feel your pain and I would come all the way to Australia to fix your terlit.

Get this, I like condiments, ketchup, mayo, mustard? But I CANT stand to smell them or touch them. So, yeah, I belong here. People say the obvious, well how do you eat them?

Carefully.

I also hate clowns.  I have since I was little.  Im terrified of throwing up and/or having the stomach virus, or my kids getting it.  I also wont touch the door handle of a public restroom without a paper towel in my hand.  Yuck, how many people leave the bathroom without washing their hands. 

All kidding aside, I'm getting a phobia about going to bed. Not that I'll die, and I'm not afraid of anything. I just get anxious about climbing in that bed. I did not have that problem in my depression. But now I haven't slept in 48 hours. I feel like I'm tripping. I will sleep today.

All kidding aside, I'm getting a phobia about going to bed. Not that I'll die, and I'm not afraid of anything. I just get anxious about climbing in that bed. I did not have that problem in my depression. But now I haven't slept in 48 hours. I feel like I'm tripping. I will sleep today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it's a flashback. TOO MANY yellow sunshine hits or your bed is too high and you are

afaid of falling the hell out of bed ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I gave away the caddy of California King waterbeds when I had to move last year, now I use an aeromat they are quite comfy. And it's a twin. I'm giving up on ever having a roll in the sack again.

Needles (Once sat through a root canal with no painkillers.)

Large gatherings

Germs. If you touch it, it's your food now. Enjoy it, I don't want it.

Being locked in or held down anywhere.

Becoming addicted to anything. (I won't take painkillers with opiates in them. I have several bottles just gathering dust. It's weird, but there you go.)

Between those, it's mighty fun to drag me into a hospital. Instant panic attack.

Crickets, Roaches, bugs in general

ELEVATORS! (got stuck in one once and had to be pulled out a tiny slit which only made my fear 100 times worse)

the exorcist (the movie), demons, the devil and anything to do with evil and Catholicism.

customer service people

clutter/a messy or dirty environment (house, office, others house, whatever) gives me an instant insanity attack

Lage bugs, including lobsters and pretty much any kind of spiny critter with a segmented body gives me the heeby jeebies.

I'm scared of being in the water where my feet can't reach.  Scared of drowning.  Scared of being near large bodies of water where I can't see the other side in general.  Scared of bridges over large bodies of water. 

I have issues with agoraphobia in general.

I've actualy thought about going to clown school to be a clown though.

germs.  especially parasitic germs/bacteria/worms.  I'm a vegetarian but my husband is not.  He's about 80% vegetarian.  But when he brings home meat I run around behind him bleaching and wiping...

My neighbor keeps giving my dogs bones  ;) I know he is trying to be friendly, but I have a dog door so the gross bones come into my house and I find them on my kitchen floor or under my couch and if I have OCD symptoms they don't generally interfere with my life, except for the bones.  I can't get my  house clean enough.  Vaccuum, rug shampoo, disinfect, disinfect, dry heaves, wash my hands, wash the vaccuum, wash the rug shampooer, wash my hands, wash the bathtub where I cleaned the vaccuum and rug shampooer, wash the sink where I washed my hands, throw away the rags I was using to clean with, and wash my hands again.

And yet my dogs themselves don't gross me out.  I can't explain it.  It isn't logical.  I'm sure my dogs are covered in germy cooties but I'm not even going to dwell on that...

Thought I'd jump on this bandwagon...'specially since FINALLY I'm seeing some that make sense.

ROACHES! Big one. Can't sleep for nights if I see one for real or hallucinated.

Morphed faces. Fake faces are okay...as long as they stay stable. But morphed/contorted/obscured faces are terrible. Ski masks...blech!

On the other hand, don't have any of the usual ones: own snakes/spiders/scorpions/lizards, the lot. As herpers, it's a necessity. Also work with/did own (allergies, more blech) rats and mice. They're sweet and cute :>

Oh, speaking of allergies: pools. Afraid of them. Allergic, so my lungs won't work if they're nearby. Fortunately, they don't attack often...

Hills - I always feel my car will roll right back down and crash into the car behind me

Not being able to walk -I have recurring dreams that I will break my legs or wont be able to walk somehow.. so I figure its some kinda omen or whatever

All animals- they all freak me out

Dark- I don't like not being able to see whats around me

Oceans- afraid of drowning or getting washed away

Being alone for the rest of my life - which will probably happen anyway

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about roaches.

We also have 'waterbugs' here if you're talking about palmetto bugs. Roaches that grow to be about 2 inches long.

If you're talking about the poisonous predatory aquatic insect, we have those as well. I keep them as pets.  ;)

My roach issue actually falls under the germ issue.

I actually went on a call once to fix a computer and when I opened the case easily a 1 gallon container worth of live roaches poured out. On. Me.

I tore hell up getting away.

*shudders*

And they wondered why it didn't work.

Oddly enough no other bugs/etc bother me. I've owned all manner of scorpions, spiders, centipedes, mantises, etc.

Anyway, skin is crawling. Time for another shower.  :)

great topic indeed, Helena.

i'm always aware of where my hands have been, have i touched a door, handled money, and of course i do the public bathroom door trick. hold the door open with foot while tossing the paper towel into the trash, or if it won't reach, take it with. and likewise i decide certain things inside are germy, like the minivac for kitty litter, but our kitties can walk all over me and it's fine.

we get giant flying cockroaches we call "747s". EW.

crowds.

omg that burger king thing is SO scary. whoever the fuck thought of that ad campaign should be shot.

sharp knives. y'all can think i'm crazy but it's a past life thing.

i'm a scuba instructor but when i'm on the boat i need to see the shore.

definitely roaches. we have flying "waterbugs" here which are really roaches on steroids.

Like this long <------------------------------------------------->

escalators

germs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH CRAP I FORGOT ABOUT PALMETTO BUGS..THEY SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME AS A KID VISITING MY GRANDPARENTS IN FLORIDA!!!  AHHHH!

palmettobug.jpg

Guest Guest_Croix_*

As most of my friends know on here - Tornados. I have hugh panic attacks when bad weather comes along. I'll huddle up on the bathroom floor with a flashlight and cry, rock back and forth, sometimes get sick. Xanax is my friend. Funny though, the hurricanes don't bother me, even though I know there are tornados imbedded in them.

Also overly aggressive men. PTSD thing. Or people that are too touchy-feely. Not emotion wise but the ones that have to touch you when they talk. Oogy!

Things I don't like but not necessarily a phobia: Those big ass cockroaches that fly, the damn water moccasins around here, and those freaky clowns. Horror movies, I'm a big ole wuss. That's all I can think of right now.

Croix

Some of these might not be weird, but here are my phobias,

heights

water fountains (the kind you drink from...what if someone's mouth touched that!)

touching anything in the public washroom

clowns and ronald mc donald defiantley!

my food touching on my plate

crowds

wide open spaces

very small spaces

tunnels

bridges

Ameth

The worse ones for me ...

Having no enternal life with things I wish there would be.

Not being able to have the Life I want presently.

How to manage an overwhelming amount of stuff to be done or due, when it seems I can't deal with it.

Jobs and Work and earning money.

Some sense of Security for myself.

Are we living when society will see its worse ends?

Heya,

Wasps, but I guess that's rational, b/cf I'm anaphylactic to them.

And:  Nimbus, maybe this makes sense to you (or someone) or not:

(This is unscientific as hell, and hard to say in public.)

In 100 years, none of this will matter.

Either we'll have wrecked the place, or we'll be fine.

Or, aliens will come, and either wreck the place, or make us fine.

How dumb is that.  Whoa.  Never wrote that down or said it out loud, no kidding, looks crazy.

But okay, you guys're all crazy too, so okay.

Still though I'm a damn good family doc.  Maybe that's my mantra now.

Phobia:  The doctor thing is all I've got.

Ugh, sorry to get maudlin.

Just glad to see I'm not alone in the yucky creepy rotting food thing.

--ncc--

Heya Nimbus,

(and anyone else I freaked out)

Oh crap, sorry friend, wasn't meaning to sound nihilistic.

Those are my four options, and I was being diplomatic (and scared of ridicule) by not stating my favourite.

Listen, I firmly think that each of us makes our own future based on what we do now, and now, and now, moment-to-moment.

Individually.  And in our families.  Who/whatever each of us influences by our ***free choices,*** good or ill-advised.

Collectively, as a world/planet?

If I'm (ugh) totally honest (now I've lost *all* scientific credibility, but who gives a damn, honesty matters more):

Out of those options, I (for no good current reason except my gut, which helps me in medicine, so I trust it, whatever that means) honestly think that ...

... I have never (that sounds like a cliche but it's true) said/written this.

(ugh, tearing up!  Nimbus, you have *such* a way of cutting to the viscera)

I think we'll fix it.

I think we're too smart to wreck the place.

I think for our kids and grandkids it'll be okay b/c you and I and the rest of us who are alive *now* will fix it.

(Or else, aliens will fix it.  Who are just more people anyway.  But who thought of different ideas than us.  Honesty demands I tell you I think that's the second choice.)

I guess I'm an optimist, but whatever.  Call me in a hundred years when it's all fixed, and we'll chat.

--ncc--

Typical Aspie phobias (well typical in that they were totally random) all throughout childhood.  Too many to list here. 

Croix

Another one of my random phobias was any sort of severe weather.  Any time that ticker tape went across the bottom of the TV screen, I used to freak out.  Even if the bad weather had nothing to do with us.  It got better after we moved to Indiana when I was 10, though, as we'd pretty much had a tornado warning (radar signature) or actual touchdown a few times a month in our county (April-August, at least). 

I still think Mom has somewhat of a phobia of it, though.  One day when I was at my parents' house, my mom came banging on my bedroom door yelling "THERE'S A TORNADO!!! WE'RE GOING TO THE BASEMENT!!!".  I looked outside, and it was partly cloudy with no ominousness in any direction.  Checked the weather radar and current alerts online.  In fact, there was a tornado warning... one that was broadcast on television, in fact.... except my mother had failed to note that we didn't live in Shelby County.  Nor did she note, in fact, that Shelby County was almost 100 miles away from us.

How could I forget my more amusing phobias?

Large butterflies/moths.  Had that one pretty badly until I was 10.  Central North Carolina had a crapload of those critters.  I'm still not a huge fan (though on the surface, they can be really beautiful, I especially think that the tiger-swallowtail and some species of moth in Indiana that's bright blue are very pretty)... I won't freak out unless one lands squarely on my face, though.... I've learned that the largest species in that general order is the Brazilian Queen Elizabeth Moth, which can grow up to a foot in wingspan!! AGH!!!!  (Strangely I have little fear of the praying mantis, which many Southerners have an issue with... the ones we had in NC would grow to nearly a foot in length!)

Fear of nightmares in general... call it my non-NTness, but I would experience them more nights than not.  Not just any unpleasant dream (like the generic kind I have now and the kind we all have from time to time), but literally dreams of being exposed to PURE EVIL (akin to Satan)... an inexorable, ethereal feeling that penetrated deep into your soul, which made you feel like you were being sucked into eternal torment/Hell, and left you gasping for breath... the nearest earthly sensation I can describe it with is going 0-70MPH down from the top of a highspeed roller coaster, feeling as if your soul were left at the top, with the ominousness of being damned to permanent pure evil and suffering as you reached the bottom.  These dreams would leave me awakening screaming, in tears, and hidden under the covers, not wanting to ever fall asleep again... sort of like a night terror, except I'd be fully lucid and afraid upon wakening, and could immediately recount the dream down to every single detail. 

It just sucked that I had these dreams several nights a week, from around the ages of 4 until about 14.  I'd always had these bloody strange nighttime rituals (too many to describe or count) to avoid my bad dreams... and had an awful fear of sleeping without my parents in the same room until I was nearly 8.    Even when I did sleep near my parents they'd (more nights than not) hear a bloodcurdling scream from me as I awoke in the middle of the night.  Often several times each night.  Poor M&D (especially the BPII/severe anger issues Mom).

Had this fear of fans (both stand/table and ceiling types) until I was about 6... they'd somehow often figure into my nightmares sometimes.

Had a fear of aircraft... sometimes they'd figure into my more unusual dreams, but not the Pure Evil kind.  I was never afraid to fly them, though... that's been one of my most enjoyable activities and I've racked up nearly 300,000 miles (70,000 of them recorded under frequent flyer programs) since my first ever flight in 1991.  If you happen to IM me over AIM, my SN (DLTriStar) is a reference to the first plane I ever flew.  When we lived in North Carolina, less than a mile from the landing end of a runway at Raleigh/Durham International, though, I'd freak out every time I saw a low flying plane buzz us.  It was just too intimidating and loud for me. 

I now go planespotting for photography purposes (common in the DC area, given we have 3-5 commercial airports, depending on your definition of 'DC area'), and bring the earplugs along.  It's intimidating enough to see a low-flying B747, B777, A340, etc., but it's even more unnerving to hear it buzz you.  Oddly, the worst aircraft in this department, at least to watch taking off, is the DC-9, the oldest aircraft (all are 25-35 years old) in US service... it's a tiny little scrap but the noise it generates taking off from Reagan National could shake nearby Arlington's Crystal City to pieces.

Same issue for me too, when (just <2 years ago!) I was living in California, near Moffet NAS, when we'd get buzzed by C-130s (though I'd be more comforted by seeing the actual plane and not realizing it was, oh, an airstrike or something... the turboprop C-130 isn't all THAT loud).  What I couldn't handle, though, was getting the tail end of an F-15 or F-18 with its afterburners on.  Well, okay, nobody I knew really liked those.  So loud and powerful that they rattled windows and caused particles of plaster to fall from the ceiling.  Kind of like a San Andreas quake, just more frequent.  I never liked sudden, loud noises... perhaps another Aspie thing, we all have weird phobias of that kind of stuff.  I'm the one plugging up my ears whenever a military aircraft flies nearby... and same thing for my ex-roommate my senior year in college, whom I'd really believe has worse Asperger than I do!

God willing, you'll never have to drive the Valley View Bridge in Cleveland (which has the honor of being America's highest bridge carrying an interstate).  It carries I-480 (South Beltway) over the Cuyahoga River Valley, at a height of over 300 feet.  Now, this is nothing compared to bridges like the Mac, but remember traffic is doing 60-80 across this thing.  (No pedestrians, of course, this being an interstate and all.)  This would be all fine and dandy if they had adequate 'catching' systems to handle vehicles that lost control.  Several motorists, in cars, SUVs, and semitrucks, have lost their lives after losing control and jumping the 3' barrier and falling 300 feet into the river.  Not until 2003 did they add a high, flexible fence above the barrier, which can at least catch wayward automobiles (with semi-trucks, it's been semi-proven that it'll just force the semi to jackknife, with the cab hanging partway over the barrier... better than someone getting killed.)

When I drove that bridge (and this was probably for more practical reasons rather than a phobia per se), I alwans tended to keep myself in the second or third lane out of the four, away from either edge. =D

edit: also bridges...even though i've walked across the Mackinac bridge connecting the lower and upper peninsulas in Mich. a zillion times. i guess my fear is driving across bridges. i can walk the mighty Mac, but drive across it, only if someone else is driving and i can sit in the backseat and cry the entire 5 miles across.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh and add to that flying cockroaches which i never knew existed until i moved to Alabama...try having those things dive bomb you at night...i moved out of that crappy infested apartment rather quickly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Palmetto bugs are evil, but the little cockroaches are worse.

If you see one of the little ones, there's a billion of them somewhere else.

I don't seem to have a roach problem because I'm a bit obsessive about germs so stuff stays clean and if I even see a roach outside I empty about 8 cans of roach spray in the house.

Even thinking about roaches means I'll jump when a wisp of hair hits my shoulder for the rest of the day. =P

blech, I have this horrible PTSD roach thing where I'm afraid they'll climb under my skin and kill me (long, disjointed story). And we NEVER had roaches. And them my partner's brother moved in, and we didn't think to bomb his stuff before he came in. And now we DO, and can't get rid of the stupid things...my partner has OCD, and things are super-clean, but *shrug* they seem to only need to eat air. And we can hardly bomb, because of the birds and spiders and lizards and dogs and the rest of the zoo. ACK! I HATE HATE HATE the damn things.

I have mycophibia.

I am so terrified of toadstools its not funny. I have desensitised to regular cooking mushrroms. "toadstools", if I spot one give me a horrible rush of fear, mixed with disgust at the same time. I can't breathe well, I shake, yet for some reason, I am compelled to stare at it. Though, it getting better with time, as when I was younger, I would obsess over it, like I'd know where mushrooms grow, and I'd avoid the area. I'd even worry 'what if I saw one today?' or even worse "what if I step on one?"

Concerning bridges, my family and I drove over a bridge in RI a few years ago

that was literally swaying back and forth.  It turned out to be quite amusing (since

we lived to tell about it.)

The one that totally paralyzes me is crossing the Mississippi on I-40 near Memphis going from Tennessee to Arkansas.  *shiver*

I can't imagine what it's like further south where it's even wider.

Lucky ya'll. I'm terrified of severe weather and WE DON"T HAVE BASEMENTS down here! Can't dig a hole in bayou country or it will fill up with water. Hence, the reason I hide in the bathroom with no windows and cry.

But yeah, my phobia is sooooo bad about it, that I'll watch the weather forecast and if it says severe weather is expect three days from now, I have a knot in my stomach for the three days leading up to it. Xanax doesn't really help either, because my fear overrides the medication. I'd love to do EMDR for it.

I also HATE driving over bridges. There are 4 between here and Austin and I've made that trip about 8 times last year. I always felt like I was gonna fly off the damn thing.

Croix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you all right following the batterings of Rita and Katrina? I know you've probably been asked that hundreds of times on CB, but herrfous here just wants to make sure.  That must have been one hell of a time for you, with your phobia of severe weather.  Sad that y'all can't build basements because of ground conditions there.  And +10 points for you that you use the term 'y'all'.  I use it all the time out of habit and geographical upbringing, only to get shocked looks since I'm not the least bit white or black looking.  Most people think I'm one 'dem dirty A-rabs.  Perhaps I'll just explain I'm a Southern Mulatto.

(FYI - If tornadoes or extremely severe t'storms with microbursts are threatening y'all, your best case of action is to find an interior room with no windows [generally a closet].  We ended up in this condition several times while living in Raleigh, NC (home of "we'll build you a crawlspace, but never a basement... and while you're at it... watch out for them Eastern Diamondbacks down there..."), and thank God we never actually had a microburst or tornado hit us directly.  And really dude, if you live in a mobile home, GET THE FUCK OUT!!! Of course, you probably know all this full well already.)

And as for bridges, I can stand the long ones, it's just the tall ones that scare me.  I'm not particularly fond, either, of the Francis Scott Key Bridge that spans the Outer Harbor of the Patapsco River near Dundalk, MD.  Forming the eastern part of our beltway (I-695), it's in such poor condition and has such bizarre hairpin turns to ascend its 150 foot height, that it had to be 'grandfathered' in to the Interstate system despite not meeting Interstate or even US highway standards.  It was only a total of 2 lanes wide until 1996!  Speed limit's 50 on the ascent and bridge itself; minimum's set at 40 to keep them semis at full throttle the whole time.  It doesn't help the least bit that the Key Bridge is ugly as sin (and not the least bit of a tribute to F.S. Key, who wrote the American national anthem near that same spot on the river while he witnessed the bombardment of Baltimore and Ft. McHenry during the war of 1812).  All traffic is routed away from the cursed bridge as much as possible; even I-695 is signed as 'south' to Glen Burnie smack in the middle of the northern leg of 695 at Towson, despite the fact that it actually runs west (away from Glen Burnie!) for the next 5-10 miles or so before actually turning south.

Even the sections right before and after aren't Interstate-spec either and have lots of 90-degree turns... it's fun to take those at a 'legal' 60 MPH and scare the shit out of everybody in your car.  I'm good at doing that.  If only I'd develop a fear of death, I'd stop with that kind of stuff.

Another bridge I hate/have fun walking across as a pedestrian is the Golden Gate Bridge in SF.  I'm not sure how high it is, but it is quite intimidating.  Intimidating and infamous of a landmark that there are 'psychiatric hotline' phones every 1000 feet!!! How reassuring to those of us who are MI.  Drive across the bastard once, too, and didn't like the $5.00 toll coming southbound.

Honestly, I forget what the fuck this topic was about...................

I fell down a flight of stairs at four years old and landed upside down, so I fear anything where I might be upside down, from roler coasters and bungee jumps right through to doing a headstand. It's so dumb.

I can only think of 2 bridges that I start getting panicky on.

The one in the Mississippi bay that actually crosses the bay and goes on forever on 10, I think. Then the one in Louisiana that goes on for forever. (I think like 8 miles? Maybe more.)

The top of the cloverleaf in Atlanta scares the hell out of me too. =P

AH yes, the Atchafalaya bay bridge (also known as Whiskey Bay bridge). I don't remember the length, but it takes 25 min to drive over it. It's only two lanes and the trucks must stay in the right lane so you're usually stuck between a wall and a semi. And you MUST go the speed limit cuz the cops watch it like a hawk. I drive over that bridge all the time. I guess that's the only reason it doesn't bother me. I'm so use to it. That and the fact that it's flat, it doesn't arch up or anything. It's the ones you don't go over alot and aren't familiar with that are scary.

Herrfous, we are finally stabilized after the hurricanes. It was really tough around here for the first couple of months afterward. We're alright now. My dad is going to N.O. friday to try and salvage some memorabilia from my grandparents house before they bulldoze it next week. It's still sad. But they're relocated and doing well. Luckily they had just upped their federal flood insurance a couple months before the hurricane, so they will get all that's coming to them. Unlike most unfortunate folks down there.

Sorry for the threadjack, just answering a question.

Continue with your regularly scheduled freak-outs folks  ;)

Croix

i dont' know if this is a phobia, but i have always had moments of complete panic when i'm writing and then can't find the lid to the pen.  i'm certain that i have swallowed the lid and can even feel it in my throat.  i've never swallowed the lid of a pin but i think i have a phobia of that or thinking that i have.  i'm weird!

I don't really have many strange fears. Or at least, I don't think they're that weird.

I can't breathe in front of strangers/people, for fear they will hear me. If they know I breathe, they know too much and might want to hurt me. which is weird really, because I would assume most people know that I do, and don't care.

public bathrooms really gross me out too. Like, in highschool, I would go home if i had to pee, to avoid using them. Even when it meant walking for an hour and fifteen minutes. ;)

So basically, I have not-a-robotophobia.

I've learned that the largest species in that general order is the Brazilian Queen Elizabeth Moth, which can grow up to a foot in wingspan!! AGH!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

holy fucking shit don't ever mention that again!!!!

*dies*

I can only think of 2 bridges that I start getting panicky on.

The one in the Mississippi bay that actually crosses the bay and goes on forever on 10, I think. Then the one in Louisiana that goes on for forever. (I think like 8 miles? Maybe more.)

The top of the cloverleaf in Atlanta scares the hell out of me too. =P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it's probably not a cloverleaf if it's that high.  It's probably a stack (where, to go left onto the other freeway, instead of getting on a ramp, spiraling, and 'doing 3 rights to make a left', you get on a ramp, it goes insanely high and off to the left, and lands you on the leftbound freeway).  Stacks are high since the ramps are placed atop each other instead of spread out horizontally as in a cloverleaf.

I think I know which cloverleaf in Atl you're talking about (not the exact one, but I do recalling seeing one like that there, along with several others)... as a kid growing up in that area, I used to call them 'crazybridges'.  Aww how cute.

There's a stack in Los Angeles where the highest ramp (serving as a HOV-HOV connector!) is 110 feet (!!!!) above the lowest level highway.

Houston and anywhere in California both tend to build their stacks excessively high (no idea why).  Many are close to the 110 feet of the recordholder.

I really don't like stack interchanges, either (but somehow I feel they're more tolerable the faster I drive across them).  There's a half-stack intersection here at the junction of I-695 and I-795... the ramp to 695E has an advisory speed of 45MPH... of course, the freeway leading in has a speed limit of 60, so I pull into the left lane of that two lane ramp and take it at 70. =D

</threadjack>

Archived