CrazyBoards.org

Startled awake

So many nights I am asleep and startle in my sleep which jolts me awake.  I have such a hard time with sleep these days and am always anxious before bed.  I do go to bed and get up at regular times.  But I am exhausted constantly now.  If I am not being startled out of my sleep, I am having dreams that are draining me emotionally.  I used to sleep for an escape, now my crap is catching up with me there too.  I just need a break from my head.  Started the OTC sleeping pill routine the other night but I'm not sure how long those will work.  Eventually they end up giving me a paradoxical effect and I am up pacing all night long.  I just need a good nights sleep.  Any thoughts?

Hi CraZ,

I do this too.  I scream myself awake and only realize I'm really screaming out loud when I look over at my dog and she's completely freaked out.  OTC sleeping pills suck.  They dont' work until an hour and a half later and you still wake up 10 times and then they give you a sleepy hangover....

Ask for a prescription sleep med.  I'm quite a hypocrite since I asked and recieved Lunesta which does jack shit until I take 3 mg which give me the sleepies the entire next day...oh and I still wake up.  Anything, however, is better than taking 2 hours to fall asleep followed by waking up every 36 minutes on the dot.  Seems to me a bunch of times people who require anti-depressants, have sleeping issues.  Is it difficult to get a script from your doc?? 

So many nights I am asleep and startle in my sleep which jolts me awake.  ... If I am not being startled out of my sleep, I am having dreams that are draining me emotionally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are your dreams leading into the tiimes that you are waking up?

Or are they scaring you awake, or are they completely separate issues?

It's weird that you would suddenly have dreams like that, so is there anything you can connect it to, or do you think it just might be related to the stress of not sleeping, itself?

I have been having a lot of this going on especially for the past several months. It's been getting so bad that it has effected my thinking and when I wake up I have a headache a lot and I am tired so much of the time.  I wake up a lot during the night and sometimes have really crazy vivid dreams. I just got a sleep study, though, because nothing was really helping.  Really, it could be any number of things.

I definately agree with robotlove- otc sleep aids are generally crap.  You should see your doctor on this if you can.  There may even be something other than a standard sleep med that you can take which would be more effective.

Hope you figure it out. Sleep is always a tricky thing.

~navy~

Archived