CrazyBoards.org

Has this happened to anybody else?

Hi everybody, long-time lurker but first-time poster here.

So basically, I was diagnosed with bipolar II and generalized and social anxiety disorder six years ago, and after a long time trying to become stable with medication my doctor and I found a combination that worked, and I had minimal issues. This past six months, however, the mood swings and anxiety have been re-emerging. The last three months, they've been back with a vengeance. I've got an appointment tomorrow with my doctor, so I am going to get professional help. 

I guess what I wanted to know was whether this is normal or not...is it common that medications may work for so many years and then just...stop? I'm really concerned, here. 

Thank you to anybody who took the time to read this.

xx

I'm relatively new to the diagnosed bipolar train (I was diagnosed in like early December?) so I may not have a ton of room to speak about this, but from what I've seen said on here it's pretty normal that your meds may need a tweak here and there.

Edited by jacques
Making my wording more clear

7 hours ago, TiredinToronto said:

I guess what I wanted to know was whether this is normal or not...is it common that medications may work for so many years and then just...stop? I'm really concerned, here. 

First, welcome to CB!

Yes, it is normal to have periods of time being stable, then all of a sudden you get to a point where you need to adjust your meds.  It sucks that it happens that way, but unfortunately it does. 

you know of any triggers that you are aware of that might have changed things?  Extra stress, lack of sleep maybe?  Those 2 things are big triggers for me (I am schizoaffective -SZA, includes a mood disorder with it).  Extra stress with not enough time to re-group, lack of sleep for more than a night ... and I'm sure there are other things, but these 2 specifically effect me a lot.

I am glad you are seeing your DR tomorrow.