CrazyBoards.org

hypersomnia

I'm on Seroquel 50mg to help me sleep. I keep sleeping 13+ hours a day and I'm always tired. It's partially because of Seroquel and insomnia but also partially because I just need to sleep all day. Before I was on Seroquel I slept all day too but it's just a lot worse now. I keep missing my classes because I need to sleep until 2 or 3pm. Anyone have any suggestions to help?

When I was on a lower dose of Seroquel I had to take my dose at least 12 hours before I  had to get up in the morning. Otherwise I would feel really sedated.

Seroquel is much more sedating at low doses. I am on the maximum dose and am not sedated at all.

I remember the first time I took 100mg and I slept 14 hours straight, only managed to stay awake for a while before conking out again.

It does get better as you adjust to it or the dose is increased 

4 hours ago, BackOnTop said:

I'm on Seroquel 50mg to help me sleep. I keep sleeping 13+ hours a day and I'm always tired. It's partially because of Seroquel and insomnia but also partially because I just need to sleep all day. Before I was on Seroquel I slept all day too but it's just a lot worse now. I keep missing my classes because I need to sleep until 2 or 3pm. Anyone have any suggestions to help?

I have hypersomnia also.  Have you tried wellbutrin or provigil?  The provigil specifically really helps me stay awake.  I am on wellbutrin also, which I think helps me stay awake too, but not as much as the provigil does.  So it is the provigil that works the best for me.

I have idiopathic hypersomnia, but unfortunately, they don't recognize that as a legitimate diagnosis for the use of meds like Nuvigil or Provigil. So I just use Adderall. Plus I'm on the MAOI Parnate which is pretty stimulating.

You could lower your Seroquel dose to 25 mg, or switch to something else like trazodone or doxepin perhaps, too, which might be less profoundly sedating?

6 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I have idiopathic hypersomnia, but unfortunately, they don't recognize that as a legitimate diagnosis for the use of meds like Nuvigil or Provigil. So I just use Adderall. Plus I'm on the MAOI Parnate which is pretty stimulating.

You could lower your Seroquel dose to 25 mg, or switch to something else like trazodone or doxepin perhaps, too, which might be less profoundly sedating?

Mikl ... I found this and hope it can help:

http://www.sleep-journal.com/article/S1389-9457(13)01696-1/abstract

Modafinil can be used for idiopathic hypersomnia:

Modafinil is an effective medication in adult patients with idiopathic hypersomnia without long sleep.

9 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Mikl ... I found this and hope it can help:

http://www.sleep-journal.com/article/S1389-9457(13)01696-1/abstract

Modafinil can be used for idiopathic hypersomnia:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, as far as my insurance is concerned, they don't want me to have it. They only want me to have it if I have narcolepsy.

20 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, as far as my insurance is concerned, they don't want me to have it. They only want me to have it if I have narcolepsy.

Same with my insurance ... for narcolepsy.  Idk if this is a possibility, but my neuro does a prior auth and I don't have a problem getting it prescribed.  Sometimes if it gets denied you can appeal it and get it on the second try if the DR filling out the PA sends all the info as to why you need it.

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

My pdoc can NEVER get PAs to go through. I could probably get it through my gdoc though...

Has your pdoc tried appealing them?  With my insurance company, my DRs have to send in info explaining why I need the med/s and the specific dose my DRs are asking for.  (Multiple DRs of mine need to send in for a prior auth/s). 

At one point my pdoc called the insurance company and asked them what they needed to know for me to get a specific med/s approved.  They explained and he verified information.  And pdoc got the approval after that call.

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

Has your pdoc tried appealing them?  With my insurance company, my DRs have to send in info explaining why I need the med/s and the specific dose my DRs are asking for.  (Multiple DRs of mine need to send in for a prior auth/s). 

At one point my pdoc called the insurance company and asked them what they needed to know for me to get a specific med/s approved.  They explained and he verified information.  And pdoc got the approval after that call.

I think the office staff doesn't even bother with them... Because any time I've ever gone to my gdoc for it before, it gets approved within a day or two... Their office staff is a little... well... busy... and their fax machine is loaded with requests from lawyers and whatnot, and something may get in in the middle of those requests and they won't see it. It's not really my insurance I don't think.