Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

So I recently got off of Klonopin, and was put on Lamictal instead. This has counteracted some of the W/D symptoms to good effect.

I want to get off of the Lamictal once the worst of this is over at about the 3-4 month mark. Any suggestions besides the obvious taper? Also how long does Lamictal W/D typically last? I want to get off of the Lamictal within a month or so come mid-March/April.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The manufacture says reverse the process by which you titrated up with. So you reduce down to 100 mg and hold there for 2 weeks. Then reduce by 50 mg and hold for 2 weeks, then reduce 25 mg and stop after 2 weeks. How you get to 100 mg, if you are taking more is up to your doc.That would seem to take 5 weeks. I found jumps/changes of 75 mg to be my limit of tolerance. Any more and I had major insomnia. 

If you are taking another anticonvulsant, like depakote, that changes things and the above does not apply.

 

Edited by notloki
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, notloki said:

The manufacture says reverse the process by which you titrated up with. So you reduce down to 100 mg and hold there for 2 weeks. Then reduce by 50 mg and hold for 2 weeks, then reduce 25 mg and stop after 2 weeks. How you get to 100 mg, if you are taking more is up to your doc.That would seem to take 5 weeks. I found jumps/changes of 75 mg to be my limit of tolerance. Any more and I had major insomnia. 

If you are taking another anticonvulsant, like depakote, that changes things and the above does not apply.

 

Thank you for the response. A taper makes sense, although I have heard to drop dosage by 25mg instead of 50mg at a time.

Sometimes, when I miss a dose of my lamictal for a few hours in the day, and one occasion for 2 days, I start experiencing anxiety, I begin to get a nauseous feeling, and begin to twitch more. I suppose this will be negated by a competent, consistent taper, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, teh345 said:

Sometimes, when I miss a dose of my lamictal for a few hours in the day, and one occasion for 2 days, I start experiencing anxiety, I begin to get a nauseous feeling, and begin to twitch more. I suppose this will be negated by a competent, consistent taper, correct?

It certainly is less of a change than missing a whole dose so it is possible side effects will be less. That's the idea of titration, to lessen the pain. Thats a good questin for your doc, "what do I do if I start experiencing <whatever>". Backup meds for anxiety, used short term, are one option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jt07 said:

How to get off Lamictal is an excellent question to ask your psychiatrist. That's his job.

Thank you for your informative and contributing response. 

I don't have a psychiatrist, and obviously consulting with a professional is the best option. Ever stop to think that some people might not be able to afford psychiatry and receive psych meds through their primary care? Not to mention psychiatry is not the end all be all. 

Even if I did have a psychiatrist, why would asking a question on here to glean different responses from people who have actually done it or are also informed on the subject be such a imposition?

I can't stand responses like these. In fact, why stop there?! Why ask any questions on here at all while we're at it, because as you so eloquently said, they are all great questions to ask your psychiatrist/shrink, that is their job after all.

Edited by teh345
Link to comment
Share on other sites

notloki

As a forum moderator he has to say that because we aren't doctors.

The below forum will help you with all of your questions.

http://survivingantidepressants.org

You will find the suggested regime involved takes much longer then reversing the process. A much slower tapering would be used

 

 

Edited by 300.3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, teh345 said:

Thank you for your informative and contributing response. 

I don't have a psychiatrist, and obviously consulting with a professional is the best option. Ever stop to think that some people might not be able to afford psychiatry and receive psych meds through their primary care? Not to mention psychiatry is not the end all be all. 

Even if I did have a psychiatrist, why would asking a question on here to glean different responses from people who have actually done it or are also informed on the subject be such a imposition?

I can't stand responses like these. In fact, why stop there?! Why ask any questions on here at all while we're at it, because as you so eloquently said, they are all great questions to ask your psychiatrist/shrink, that is their job after all.

There are a couple of reasons why I responded like that. First, s a peer support forum, we are not qualified to give out medical advice and you certainly are asking for medical advice. Secondly, for all I know, you might be looking to go off meds without your doctor's knowledge and support. You'd be surprised how many people want off meds and they come to forums like these to find out how. I am here to encourage a dialogue between you and your doctor.

If you are not being seen by a psychiatrist then, fine, just substitute in "prescribing doctor" into what I wrote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, teh345 said:

Thank you for the response. A taper makes sense, although I have heard to drop dosage by 25mg instead of 50mg at a time.

Sometimes, when I miss a dose of my lamictal for a few hours in the day, and one occasion for 2 days, I start experiencing anxiety, I begin to get a nauseous feeling, and begin to twitch more. I suppose this will be negated by a competent, consistent taper, correct?

I go with things like official documentation, ie the (PI) Prescribing Information and not something from an antipsychiatry site or what I have "heard". I go with primary source information which can only come from the PI, some research papers, medical textbooks and reference, or your doctor.

 

I gave you the official method, sanctioned by the manufacture, from the PI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...