CrazyBoards.org

Xanax for controlling anger

I've been prescribed xanax for sometime now for panic attacks, but I try to only take it only when absolutely necessary, but recently I've been experiencing not panic, but extreme rage at things that bother me, and I've been taking Xanax to calm me down before I start doing something drastic, I have now done this two days in a row and it seems to work, but I don't want to have to take it everyday, partly because I don't want to get dependent, but especially because the Xanax makes me really tired, even at a small dose, and caused me to have strange breathing issues/heart issues/sleep paralyses. Does anyone else have any experience with using xanax to control anger issues?

Edited by nestor

I have never used Xanax for rage, but I think it is, as you are finding out, at best an imperfect solution. I would rather advise that you work over your anger issues in therapy and learn some coping methds which will provide a more permanent solution.

I doubt therapy would really work, and I'm already getting sick of taking so many medications that never fully work. I'm going to see if I can remove the part of me that causes my rage and all my other despairs, I'll report back if I actually succeed. But I doubt I will, I've tried for years but never managed to do it, if I had done it when I first wanted to I wouldn't even be here, I would have had peace sanity and maybe even SSI.

Edited by nestor

Why do you doubt therapy would work? That is the one thing that can give you tools to combat rage.

The meds that I find particularly helpful for anger are anticonvulsants, but there are other meds that help also. Benzos are near the bottom.

My problems come from doubts about my beliefs, identity and the way I perceive reality, I struggle everyday to maintain the idea of who I must be, I don't want outsiders creating more doubt by introducing new ideas in an effort to change me. Only I can change me in the ways I want.

Oh and if you're talking about anticonvulsants, I already have Gabapentin, which definitely helps put me into a good mood most of the time, though it once caused me to go into an intense rage, so I'm reluctant to use it, especially because it becomes tolerated too fast and stops working

Edited by nestor

10 minutes ago, nestor said:

My problems come from doubts about my beliefs, identity and the way I perceive reality, I struggle everyday to maintain the idea of who I must be, I don't want outsiders creating more doubt by introducing new ideas in an effort to change me. Only I can change me in the ways I want.

Therapists don't try to change who you are. And several therapy modalities deal mainly with giving you tools to diffuse anger which is far from trying to change you.

5 minutes ago, nestor said:

Oh and if you're talking about anticonvulsants, I already have Gabapentin, which definitely helps put me into a good mood most of the time, though it once caused me to go into an intense rage, so I'm reluctant to use it, especially because it becomes tolerated too fast and stops working

Tegretol works for me.

Even if Therapists don't try to change me, they will still introduce new ideas that might create doubts about my identity and cause me even more mental anguish. Even without people introducing new ideas sometimes my mind is assaulted with tormenting doubts, to the point that I'm half the time confined to my couch, listening to music and having frivolous fantasies to block out the intrusive doubts. What's causing me such rage lately is when I'm bothered by someone or something disturbs me while I'm trying to have my crazy fantasies. Such as when my (literally)braindamaged mom nags me with her shrill voice about trivial things, or when of the obnoxious cats try to get in the house, or when my cheap tablet messes up and the music stops.