CrazyBoards.org

anyone on lamotrigine and sertraline?

I'm on 250 mg of lamotrigine and 75 mg sertraline. I'd been on 100-150 mg of sertraline for about 2 years before my new pdoc finally listened to me when I described my cycling and diagnosed me with bipolar. We added the lamotrigine and then dropped the sertraline down to 75 mg (I was super depressed when I started the lamotridge, after crashing off of a hypomanic state). I've been at these doses for about 3 months, after a couple months of tapering and adjusting doses. We decided to leave the sertraline for now since I tend towards depression at it seems to be working well at these doses so far. We're keeping a close eye to make sure I don't start trending towards hypo, in which case we'll drop the sertraline. So I haven't been on the combo for long, but so far, so good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thunder said:

I'm on 250 mg of lamotrigine and 75 mg sertraline. I'd been on 100-150 mg of sertraline for about 2 years before my new pdoc finally listened to me when I described my cycling and diagnosed me with bipolar. We added the lamotrigine and then dropped the sertraline down to 75 mg (I was super depressed when I started the lamotridge, after crashing off of a hypomanic state). I've been at these doses for about 3 months, after a couple months of tapering and adjusting doses. We decided to leave the sertraline for now since I tend towards depression at it seems to be working well at these doses so far. We're keeping a close eye to make sure I don't start trending towards hypo, in which case we'll drop the sertraline. So I haven't been on the combo for long, but so far, so good. 

I haven't been manic or hypomanic in a year consistently but have been for a day here or there since then.. went on a major depressive a couple of months after the birth of my child (that couple of months straight after I was manic/hypomanic.. they initially put me on moclobemide which sent me on a manic/hypomanic for a month or so then into depression.. they then put me on lamotrigine aswell and I went on a major depressive to the point of suicide attempts.. took myself off of all tablets and went hypo again then started to get depressed again so went back on lamotrigine and they added quetiapine for as and when I needed it ie couldn't sleep or too low that I needed to sleep it off.. seen my pdoc on Wednesday and I said I could feel myself getting low again so she put me on 300 lamotrigine and 100 sertraline... I now can't poo, seriously tired all day, wake up with my jaw shaking, can't orgasm either... I went sick the first day.. I also feel sick by taking my tablets as I have to take 9 a day and the thought of tablets make me sick as I've overdosed 3 times so it's just that vision in my head :/ I feel better in my moods I just don't like these side effects :( do you think that because I'm on the lamotrigine that the sertraline hasn't made me manic as when I was younger and put on sertraline it made me manic for months ! I'm not diagnosed anything yet though..

• Like 1

Hi, only setraline feedback from me. It was great when I started however it did cancel hypomania. Started at 25 mg slowly increased to 100mg. Stopped doing ANYTHING after 5 months and I was bumped to 150mg. This went wrong, dissociative moments, Alzhaimer like symptoms, GP insisted I stick with it, week later I realized I'm losing myself somewhere into a black hole with no way back, suicidal irrational thoughts then almost a need. I was scared of my own head, Didn't go back to GP remembering his last words "if you stop I can't help you". I stopped, called turkey overnight, My head started getting clearer in few days and after a week I got hypomanic stage for about a week which did cost me a big hole in the non existent budget but DAMN it was welcomed to feel alive.

I may be drowning in debts, power tools and Alpaca wool but I'm alive and Setraline is on my never again list 

6 hours ago, anticipateit said:

I was bumped to 150mg. This went wrong, dissociative moments, Alzhaimer like symptoms, GP insisted I stick with it, week later I realized I'm losing myself somewhere into a black hole with no way back, suicidal irrational thoughts then almost a need. I was scared of my own head,

Didn't go back to GP remembering his last words "if you stop I can't help you". I stopped, called turkey overnight, My head started getting clearer in few days and after a week I got hypomanic stage for about a week which did cost me a big hole in the non existent budget but DAMN it was welcomed to feel alive.    

I may be drowning in debts, power tools and Alpaca wool but I'm alive and Setraline is on my never again list 

Ditto here. Sertraline was bad bad news for me. Made me an anxious, panic stricken wreck at 100mg...unrelenting insomnia for over a week with psychotic/dissociative symptoms that landed me inpatient. Extreme reaction yes, but i did not have this issue with other SSRI's only zoloft (was monotherapy/only 1 med at that time). No interest in another trial of that one!

IMO, Lamictal is a harmless, gentle mood stabilizer in comparison. Little-no side effects for most once you're titrated up. May need an extra add-on to destroy the depression (or something with stronger anti-manic properties if you experience full mania) but Lamictal is a good foundational med.

Edited by Blahblah