CrazyBoards.org

So I MIGHT have depression, according to my therapist and my fiancee (who has depression herself). It's not an official diagnosis, but my therapist knows me pretty well, so she's probably right.

My one question is that I'm not losing interest in things. I'm feeling discouraged, like I'm no good at them, but I still love them. I'm suicidal, sad, hopeless, but not empty. I'm not numb, I'm sad.

Okay, reading this back, it seems like I'm splitting hairs. I guess I just wanted to if it's possible to not feel EVERY symptom and still have depression.

it's absolutely possible to not have every symptom and still not have depression.  technically it's a certain number of symptoms from a list of total symptoms.  but i can't tell you what that translates to and i'd go off your therapist rather than try to check them off yourself.  and your fiancee presumably does have some insight as someone who observes you. 

3 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

it's absolutely possible to not have every symptom and still not have depression.  technically it's a certain number of symptoms from a list of total symptoms.  but i can't tell you what that translates to and i'd go off your therapist rather than try to check them off yourself.  and your fiancee presumably does have some insight as someone who observes you. 

Yeah, like, of everyone in my life, these two would know best. And they both agree. I guess I'm just having a lot of trouble accepting that things are worse than I thought 

You don't need to have every symptom to have depression. As Dances said, the DSM has a checklist. By the way, I have depression, and I've never felt empty or numb. I don't even think those are on the DSM checklist. Sad certainly is. Moreover, you have to meet certain items on that checklist for some time (two weeks, I think).

So I don't know whether you are depressed in the sense of major depression or just going through a period of feeling down. But even if you are just feeling down, it makes sense to address it before it gets any worse.

30 minutes ago, jt07 said:

You don't need to have every symptom to have depression. As Dances said, the DSM has a checklist. By the way, I have depression, and I've never felt empty or numb. I don't even think those are on the DSM checklist. Sad certainly is. Moreover, you have to meet certain items on that checklist for some time (two weeks, I think).

So I don't know whether you are depressed in the sense of major depression or just going through a period of feeling down. But even if you are just feeling down, it makes sense to address it before it gets any worse.

I don't know either. This has been a gradual thing that's been building for months, but the more acute sadness is recent. We'll see if it's temporary or not