CrazyBoards.org

I was just prescribed trazodone today to help with sleep, which my prescribing doc is hoping will level out my mood (I'm swinging up right now and might be hypomanic? Not 100% sure but my tdoc said I was having definite hypo/manic symptoms today). I've got a few questions about the medication.

1. If you've had it as a sleep aid, how did trazodone work for you? How long did you have to take it before it kicked in?
  2. I've never been on an antidepressant before, but I know there's always a risk of them sending a bipolar person into mania. Did trazodone ever send you into mania, or worsen any manic symptoms? I'm mostly concerned because my mood stabilizer doesn't seem to be doing much.
  3. Did it ever help with any OCD symptoms for you, if applicable? It wasn't prescribed for that and I'm not expecting it, but it'd be a nice little bonus if I did happen so I'd like to know your experiences.
  4. What were the prominent side effects for you?

39 minutes ago, jacques said:

I was just prescribed trazodone today to help with sleep, which my prescribing doc is hoping will level out my mood (I'm swinging up right now and might be hypomanic? Not 100% sure but my tdoc said I was having definite hypo/manic symptoms today). I've got a few questions about the medication.

1. If you've had it as a sleep aid, how did trazodone work for you? How long did you have to take it before it kicked in?
  2. I've never been on an antidepressant before, but I know there's always a risk of them sending a bipolar person into mania. Did trazodone ever send you into mania, or worsen any manic symptoms? I'm mostly concerned because my mood stabilizer doesn't seem to be doing much.
  3. Did it ever help with any OCD symptoms for you, if applicable? It wasn't prescribed for that and I'm not expecting it, but it'd be a nice little bonus if I did happen so I'd like to know your experiences.

1.  It was supposed to be a sleep aid, but ended up getting rid of the voices.  I know though that if I take one more trazodone that I am on now, it makes me so incredible tired and groggy, in addition to messing my blood pressure up. I fell once when on the extra one because I wasn't "with it." 

2.  No, trazodone never sent me into mania or worsen manic symptoms.

3.  It didn't seem to help the OCD one way or the other.

4.  The good side effects: helped get rid of voices.  The bad side is that at least for me there is a fine line as to what will be helpful vs not.  THe prominent side effect I had when on 1 too many, was that I developed orthostatic hypotension, where my blood pressure got really messed up and I fell.  But for me, it doesn't help with sleep.  The worst is that I get too groggy and out of it.

YMMV though on all of this.

Trazadone worked well for me. It helped me fall asleep quickly, in less than an hour, and to sleep through the night. It did not cause me to become manic, rather maybe less manic because I was sleeping. I liked it because it didn't cause any weird dreams. I was a bit tired the next day but not foggy. Unfortunately it made me constipated. So I eventually gave up taking it.

I started on Trazodone for sleep quite a few years ago, and it still works for me.  I've had to tweak the dosage up or down depending on my current mix of meds, but thank goodness it's always helped me sleep. 

No mania, no bad side effects. 

Was groggy the next day on it for a few weeks until my body got used to it. 

On 2/17/2017 at 5:21 PM, jacques said:

I was just prescribed trazodone today to help with sleep, which my prescribing doc is hoping will level out my mood

I've got a few questions about the medication.

1) Works pretty well for my sleep. at 200mg.....I've been taking this dose for several years, and hasn't stopped working.........Trazodone kicked in for me the first time I took it for sleep, but my doc did say for some people it could take a few days.

2) I'm not bipolar, so I can't comment on this.

3) Personally, Trazodone doesn't really help my OCD--I take Anafranil for that, but to be fair, the Anafranil isn't doing much for the OCD, either.

4) No notable side effects, except for slight dry mouth and slight dizziness when I first started it, both of which have now gone away entirely.

Also, I might add that you do have some room to go up in dose, if the 100mg doesn't work......I think 300mg is the max dose for sleep, but you have to work up in dose gradually, to see what works for you.

Edited by CrazyRedhead