CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone, I have had a mood disorder dx since I was 14. Currently 24 and dx changed to BP 2. Haven't taken meds seriously until I was 22 or so. Was doing relatively well on Latuda 40 and lamictal 200 until I decided I didn't need medication about a year ago. For the past 8 months I have been back on lamictal and latuda ranging from 100-300 and 80-20 respectively. I feel it has made no difference in my agitated and depressed mood so my pdoc added 900 lithium 3 weeks ago. Haven't noticed a difference except slightly less agitation. So I just started 1350 on the lithium. In conclusion, latuda 20, lamictal 300, and lithium 1350 don't seem to be helping. Why is my bipolar so resistant?! Anyone else have similar experience with these meds not working? What worked for you ?My pdoc said he will add the Emsam patch once I'm stable for depression..

2 hours ago, jordansonfleek said:

Hi everyone, I have had a mood disorder dx since I was 14. Currently 24 and dx changed to BP 2. Haven't taken meds seriously until I was 22 or so. Was doing relatively well on Latuda 40 and lamictal 200 until I decided I didn't need medication about a year ago. For the past 8 months I have been back on lamictal and latuda ranging from 100-300 and 80-20 respectively. I feel it has made no difference in my agitated and depressed mood so my pdoc added 900 lithium 3 weeks ago. Haven't noticed a difference except slightly less agitation. So I just started 1350 on the lithium. In conclusion, latuda 20, lamictal 300, and lithium 1350 don't seem to be helping. Why is my bipolar so resistant?! Anyone else have similar experience with these meds not working? What worked for you ?My pdoc said he will add the Emsam patch once I'm stable for depression..

How long have you given the meds to work?  It usually take 6-8 weeks to feel the whole effect of a med.  And from what you wrote (see bold), you haven't been on them very long.

I would give your meds more time to work.  After that if they still don/t work, there are a lot of different meds out there, and hundreds of med combinations. 

What other meds have you tried?

Being on the med-go-round sucks, but worth it when yo find the right meds.

It can take a long time to find the right combination of medicine to help. I remember when I was trying to find the right combination at the beginning of my illness I probably tried every mood stabilizer, a lot of antipsychotics, and a lot of antidepressants, and then tried them again in different combinations. Eventually my doctor and I decided that I probably wouldn't get full relief so we settled on what combination helped the most. I think it was Latuda, seroquel, and something else. It was quite awhile ago.

I'm about to have to do it all over again (went off medication for a few years) so I'll know what you're going through in a bit again haha. Just stick to it, you'll find something.

Not those meds in particular and I don't have a lot of meds experience at all (I've had mood disorder symptoms since 11 or 12 and was diagnosed BP1 at 21, about two and a half months ago), but I get your frustration entirely. I'm on a pretty low dose of depakote due to being a small person/my blood tests saying that my levels are therapeutic but too close to toxic to risk an increase, so I was prescribed trazodone to help me sleep. I tried it last night and it still took multiple hours for me to fall asleep, and while I get that it can take awhile to work I'm a little frustrated that it worked so quickly so fast for other people (according to a thread I made that people replied to as well as me researching the med). But I'm sure you'll get through this after trying some different combinations, hopefully.

I agree. There are many more drugs to try and much much more combinations. 

I was on lithium and it worked wonders for me after reaching the therapeutic level for about 5 to 6 weeks. I had to stop taking it due to kidney damage after being on over 13 years.

Like you I took it in combination with lamictal which was a good combo but I also took Seroquel XR and prozac. All of these meds together worked well for me

I had to drop the lithium and started valproate things were a bit rocky for a while but my mood stabilised again.

So don't give up. You are very early on in your treatment and have loads of scope.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your input. I will try and wait patiently a few weeks and see how I feel. I guess I've been impatient and forgot the reality - that meds can take weeks to take effect. Over the past 10 years I've tried SSRI/SNRIs which always made me manic. Wellbutrin trazodone benzos adderall nuvigil trazodone buspar and what I'm on now (and various combinations of all of the above) I've tried without success but I'm gonna hang in there! Thanks for your support everyone!

On 2/18/2017 at 2:20 PM, jordansonfleek said:

Welcome to the med-go-round! Sometimes it takes us years to figure out what will work for our bipolar and other ailments. It took me about 7 years to figure out what worked right for me. I know that sounds unhelpful or discouraging, but just wanted to let you know that it is normal. Don't be afraid to try things that your pdoc thinks might help. Because... you never know, it just might.