CrazyBoards.org

I spoke with my doctor about ways to improve negative symptom of SZA and he prescribed 1000mg of N-acetylcysteine twice-daily. Has anyone here had experience with it? He printed out a couple studies that show its effectiveness but I'm curious to hear real-world stories about it.

@Swamp56, I don't have experience with N-acetylcysteine, and don't have SZA, but I did find this interesting study on PubMed about it, in case you're interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18436195

Your doctor may have already given you the info about this study, though....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I have been taking 600mg tablets. A friend recommended it. OMG! the smell is horrible. It can upset your stomach. I take sarcosine, too. Anything that might help.Maybe, I am just making expensive pee, I don't know.

I did notice that i felt more alert with the sarcosine. I don't notice a difference with NAC but it has not been very long.

I've been taking it for a week now and notice that I'm more alert and less agitated. Let's hope it continues to work!

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@Swamp56, I don't have experience with N-acetylcysteine, and don't have SZA, but I did find this interesting study on PubMed about it, in case you're interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18436195

Your doctor may have already given you the info about this study, though....

Thanks! That wasn't one of the studies he printed out for me.

2 hours ago, confused said:

I have been taking 600mg tablets. A friend recommended it. OMG! the smell is horrible. It can upset your stomach. I take sarcosine, too. Anything that might help.Maybe, I am just making expensive pee, I don't know.

I did notice that i felt more alert with the sarcosine. I don't notice a difference with NAC but it has not been very long.

Yeah, I spoke with my doctor about Sarcosine initially and he was more comfortable with me trying NAC because it's been around longer.

I take it, but not directly for a condition but that it is a precursor to the cellular antioxidant L-Glutathione which plays a big part in preventing neurotoxicity and oxidation in general. I don't expect to feel different but help be protected from oxidation.

4 hours ago, notloki said:

I take it, but not directly for a condition but that it is a precursor to the cellular antioxidant L-Glutathione which plays a big part in preventing neurotoxicity and oxidation in general. I don't expect to feel different but help be protected from oxidation.

Out of curiosity, what could cause neurotoxicity or oxidation?