CrazyBoards.org

So I just started 2mg of Risperdal last night in hopes to avoid having to resort to Clozaril just yet. 

The risperdal in combination with my Seroquel made me extremely sedated, more sedated than how I am on Seroquel without Risperdal. 

However, I woke up this morning around 8:00 AM and have had one of my most productive mornings in a LONG time!

I would like to read experiences with Risperdal. What dose do you take? Does it make you sedated? Has it been effective on your psychosis? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

I loved it. I got no side effects from it at all. It was like taking a sugar pill with regard to side effects for me. But it helped me put my life back together at a very low point. I was up to 4 mg, but I took it only for depression and overall craziness, not psychosis. It actually gave me energy at low doses. As I said, I loved it, and I have a soft spot for it among all the meds I have taken.

ETA: I had luck with the brand Risperdal. I took the generic a second time and it was nowhere near as good as the brand name. But that could just be my subjective experience.

Edited by jt07

I took risperdal many years ago and one thing stayed with me. I started lactating which was extremely embarrassing. I had to put tissues in to my bra. I also stopped menstruating

I gained weight on it but was also on mirtazepine at the time which also causes weight gain so its hard to tell.

I actually cannot remember how effective it was. I was only on 2mg when my pdoc stopped it due to high prolactin levels.

I liked it and I take invega now but I used to take I don't even remember. 12 mg of risperdal. I took it a few times a day. It and Invega really helped my psychosis. I feared lactation and it never happened but I got scared and stopped taking it. That was a bad idea for me. Invega and risperdal never made me tired. Especially invega. I take invega once a day in the morning now. No side effects and I'm on 9 mg now. I find Seroquel XR and invega and Abilify the best combo I've ever taken. I just need to stay on them all. I was struggling without invega, a lot. But since adding it I feel so much better. I felt the same on risperdal too. I just like taking it once daily so I chose invega. Things are not perfect but so much better. 

I'm glad you have had such a good morning!!! I hope this is a good sign that the risperdal will work well for you!!! Give it a shot. You might be surprised at how good of a med it can be for some people! It has certainly changed my life for the better. Wishing you the best!!!!

That's too bad and I'm sorry. But 2 mg of Risperdal was almost like not being on an antipsychotic for most people with severe psychosis. It seems to me like your doctor thinks that Clozaril is what you should be taking so she is not going to waste time with the Risperdal.

Good luck with the Clozaril!

10 minutes ago, jt07 said:

That's too bad and I'm sorry. But 2 mg of Risperdal was almost like not being on an antipsychotic for most people with severe psychosis. It seems to me like your doctor thinks that Clozaril is what you should be taking so she is not going to waste time with the Risperdal.

Good luck with the Clozaril!

I agree. She told me she really thinks clozaril is a good med and will help me...I just took my first dose. I really hope it works. <3