CrazyBoards.org

Does Mental Illness seem to run in your family?

I would say it's uncommon in my family, I have an Aunt that would swear her dreams were real and call the cops on family members for ludicrous things.

I have a Cousin that apparently used to hear voices and was Hospitalized before.

Another cousin of mine may suffer from mental illness, or she might just be using it to push buttons and get her way (i guess it depends on if you think ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder) is mental).

And I was diagnosed as Bipolar-NOS and used to struggle with self harm, but while I occasionally may struggle sometimes I have never went back to cutting.

And now my Uncle is Hospitalized for following people, and he said that God told him to follow these people for some reason, seems odd at his age of almost 40.

OMG, yes! It runs on both sides of my family BIG time. For whatever reason, it only seems to affect the men. The men also suffer from alcoholism to a high degree, although one family member had a serious drug problem that led to his early death. Almost universally, the people with mental illness also suffered from extreme alcoholism. Lucky me, I inherited both. :cussing:

Ha @iaawal, are we related???

If people in my family actually ever admitted to themselves or, god forbid, anyone else that they weren't doing well, they'd all be diagnosable. But unless you're bleeding from the eyeballs in my family, you're just fine so suck it up.

I only learned this reciently but I was told "Depression runs on your father's side of the family" kind of out of the blue but part of the family is really tuned in on what is going on and then you have me who has a hard time remembering who is who and how I'm related.   *I've never been good with names so its not directed at the family. 

Unfortunately,yes...in the late 70s and throughout the 80s my mom was hospitalized for numerous "nervous breakdowns." By the early 90's she was diagnosed with bipolar and put on lithium. She's only had 2 episode's since. Unfortunately,I followed in her footsteps,diagnosed at age 15. I've been in and out of mental hospitals most of my life. Also,my sister ended up suffering as well. She was diagnosed with bipolar,then later with scitsofrenia (sorry I can't spell). So,yeah,our family has been thru hell. My mom has several 1st cousins with it and several of them have children with it. It seems that some of the ones that don't have bipolar suffer from severe alcoholism.

On my dad's side his uncle committed suicide. It was said he was depressed and was an alcoholic. His oldest son,my dad's 1st cousin,was diagnosed with bipolar. Unfortunately,he recently committed suicide also. Then his youngest sons,daughter has also been diagnosed with it.

So,it seems like my sister and I have it coming from both sides. I don't know if that is why ours is quite severe and very hard to control. 

Although,doctors warned me not to have children because of the severity of my illness...I chose too anyway,and now I worry if she may oneday have it also. My sister,on the other hand,chose not to have children. 

Edited by Dixiechick

I have bipolar disorder and social anxiety disorder. There is no bipolar in the family that I am aware of. 

However my Mum's sister has major depression and OCD. That's all I know about my Mum's side of the family. 

My Dad's sister and several of his cousins had schizophrenia.

My cousin on my Dad's side has major depression. 

Another cousin has a kid with ADHD and Aspergers.

Apparently research shows that bipolar disorder and schizophrenia may share the same genetic roots so maybe that's where my bipolar comes from. Who knows!!

Like others have said there are people in my family who are undiagnosed. My father has definitely got social anxiety disorder like me. I also think he displays symptoms of ADD.

Me: autism, ADHD-PI, depression, anxiety, GD/GID, OCPD, BPD, and maybe a bit more.

(From a genetic perspective: Lots of SNPs linked to autism, ADHD, depression, anxiety, and OCD. GD/GID genetics are barely studied so couldn't look at that. Can't remember if there was anything related to BPD. A number of SNPs linked to DSPD (non-psych sleep disorder associated with psych disorders - I fit the criteria, have extensive data supporting diagnosis, and it's the primary reason I need sleep meds, but I don't include it in my diagnoses because it's technically not a psych disorder). Interestingly enough there were a number of SNPs linked to schizophrenia in there.) 

--

Middle sister: moderate cyclothymia, moderate-severe anxiety (primarily panic attacks, not sure if she was diagnosed with generalized anxiety but she has other major strongly anxiety-linked chronic issues), mild ADHD (doesn't want or need meds for it).

Youngest sister: mild-moderate anxiety, possible ADHD.

--

Father: a lot of obsessive traits (maybe OCPD?), some past limited but relatively severe depression, severe long-term issues with anger. Some traits of ADHD. Has never sought treatment for anything outside anger (and that was limited in scope). Acknowledges his issues.

Mother: relatively severe narcissistic personality disorder (possibly alongside some other similar disorder but nobody's sure), long-term fluctuating symptoms of depression/anxiety. Some traits of ADHD. Has never directly sought treatment for anything, although she indirectly seeks treatment via alternative medicine. Somewhat acknowledges most of her issues but refuses to acknowledge the narcissism (unsurprisingly), but that's her denial vs. the professional opinion of the extremely well educated/experienced child psychologist who treated me and my middle sister for years, and vs. my current therapist.

--

Maternal aunts: BPD (at least one of them had a pretty severe case of it), moderate-severe depression (both of them).

--

Maternal grandfather: autism, possibly with a side of OCPD. Never sought treatment, not really sure how much he's acknowledged it. The autism is blatantly obvious if you know him well enough but he has still had a very successful life.

Maternal grandmother: varying anxiety that's unusually severe at times. Never sought treatment, not sure if she acknowledges it.

--

Paternal grandfather: Extremely severe depression that was only discovered recently, possibly related to his dementia. Thankfully as soon as he was diagnosed they started some relatively aggressive treatment for the depression, and he seems to be doing better now. Long history of relatively high alcohol use, which is partially but not entirely a cultural thing.

Paternal grandmother: Very severe chronic anxiety issues of all sorts. She's been treated for it for a while, don't know how long, it's on the order of years at the least. It's not blending well with her cognitive decline as she ages, although I can't remember if she has dementia or not.

--

Assorted stuff in other less closely related members of the family: Suicide attempts, at least one completed suicide, severe alcohol/substance abuse, severe depression (in at least one case they were bad off enough that they had quite a lot of ECT treatments done, although ECT was more commonly used back then), misc other stuff that I can't recall the details of.

Edited by JustNuts
fixing mistake

Yes, lots of mental illness in my family. Mostly outside of my generation it's not treated though. My parents don't believe in anything but "lifestyle changes" for treating most mental illness, and that it's not real (except when they're talking about each other - the other one has "serious problems" and they pity them. They're divorced and don't get along).

My brothers got treated for ADHD since they were children. My depression, anxiety and ADHD have been issues since I was a teenager but weren't treated until I moved out as an adult, same for my brother's BP2.