CrazyBoards.org

I'm sorry, Geek, that you are hurting. Honestly, when I am at my lowest, all I can do is distract myself. That leads to me spending way too much time on the internet or watching TV or even both. My pdoc would say that it is unhealthy, but then again, I don't think he understands depression outside of the clinical sense. When I feel a little better, I throw myself into more productive endeavors. For me, it's all about getting outside of my head.

• Like 2

I can only echo JT, just adding that the more physical activity involved in the distraction, the better. Not always practicable or desirable, I know (moving or otherwise being physically active is among the last things I want to do when I'm at my worst), but one of the most effective ways to get out of one's head is to get into the rest of one's body.

I'm sorry too that you're hurting, and hope it eases up soon. You don't suck. That's the depression talking. Looking at your sig, everything you've tried and are trying, I'm sure you're doing your best.

Edited by Lone Sheep
  • Like 2

I agree with JT. Distraction helps. I'll call everyone I know, PM them, or dive into research on a topic I find interesting. The more your mind is actively engaged in something, the less you'll feel the pain. If you're crashing, call a friend to talk you down. I spent 6-1/2 hours on the phone last time before I was out of the woods. If you don't have anyone willing to do that for you, call me. I'm always here for anyone who needs support. PM me for my number. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I forgot to mention and Flash touched on it: Keep social. Isolation is one of the worst things you can do. The disease wants you to isolate, but in fact, not isolating is one of the best ways to combat it.

Yeah, that's what depression does to me. 

When I'm feeling really down, the phone is my lifeline.....I have some really good friends that will listen, and reassure me, when I'm feeling very depressed..........It's always comforting for me to hear another human voice, even if it is just the telephone....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up just going to bed. I don't tend to dream, so sleep is a safe place to hide from my MI. 

Today I struggled at work and then came home and watched comedy videos online. It's hard to hold my attention on anything, but some of those made me smile briefly. Also, I went to group therapy tonight. It was good in that it got me out of the house and with real people, however it wasn't helpful overall. 

My depression has taken over. I don't know what to say to people. What to talk about. I can only get so far with "uh-huh" and similar things. What do you say when it hurts so much that you can't say anything?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geek said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up just going to bed. I don't tend to dream, so sleep is a safe place to hide from my MI. 

Today I struggled at work and then came home and watched comedy videos online. It's hard to hold my attention on anything, but some of those made me smile briefly. Also, I went to group therapy tonight. It was good in that it got me out of the house and with real people, however it wasn't helpful overall. 

My depression has taken over. I don't know what to say to people. What to talk about. I can only get so far with "uh-huh" and similar things. What do you say when it hurts so much that you can't say anything?

I do the same when I can't talk to anyone or say anything (because I feel so bad). The thing is, you can't allow yourself to hide, lay in bed or sleep for many days in a row. This unhealthy habit quickly takes hold and it's even more difficult to do anything. It can feel like a nice temporary escape, but it will make you worse. Props to you for going to work (I would've lost my job by now)

All I can offer is a repeat of what others here have said - force yourself to get up. Take a cold shower that wakes up your senses. Don't isolate. Even if you feel sh*ty, at least do something active outside, walk/run, listen to music or a podcast and keep watching the silly animal or comedy videos online, come here and read a few threads. Anything that will help get you out of your own mind. I am struggling with the same issue and really need to take my own advice now.

Edited by Blahblah

On 2/21/2017 at 9:31 PM, jt07 said:

I'm sorry, Geek, that you are hurting. Honestly, when I am at my lowest, all I can do is distract myself. That leads to me spending way too much time on the internet or watching TV or even both. My pdoc would say that it is unhealthy, but then again, I don't think he understands depression outside of the clinical sense. When I feel a little better, I throw myself into more productive endeavors. For me, it's all about getting outside of my head.

I do this too. I spent all day playing video games. Only reprieve I got from a self-hatred spike

On 2/22/2017 at 9:59 PM, Geek said:

I hope next group therapy is more helpful

• Like 1