CrazyBoards.org

My latest off-label experiment

Seems I'm going to be the poster child for novel, off-label meds to kick this... the latest (after my latest attempt with ketamine) is buprenorphrine, or suboxone... approved as a med for opiate addicts, kind of the methadone for opiates... but brand new research shows antidepressant properties! It's supposed to work in hours so that's good, at least no waiting around! I'll start it in the morning so I'll come back and report.

anyone ever heard of it used as an antidepressant or any other facts? Not much out there I could find besides for addicts :-/ 

Yes I have heard of its' use for depression. A small number of people only get improvement in mood on opioids.  Buprenorphine is something of the go to drug for this application. I used to be on a small list of people who took opioids for mood. It was interesting. They had failed everything plus MAOI's and ECT

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/opinion/sunday/are-opioids-the-next-antidepressant.html

Well I started the med, I'm titrating from a small dose, just 0.5 mg, up to 2 mg over the next week. Podcast said his patients usually take either around 2 mg or around 10, so we'll see.

so far I do feel something! At least physically... a bit of a relaxed feeling, not unlike taking a Vicodin but not quite the euphoric feeling that usually gives... still, good to at least know something is doing something! Mood has been fine so far, but even with instant drugs I gotta wait and see, as sometimes I have days with less depression. But no complaints so far!

Yeah, he's very liberal and very academic, he seems to keep up with current research more than other doctors I've been to.

my husband brought up the point that if he moves or stops practicing or something I might not be able to get anyone else to prescribe it... that would suck :(

At least it is Schedule III and not Schedule II like most pain meds. Doctors are going to be more likely to prescribe a Schedule III med as the restrictions are relaxed.  Schedule II meds are classified as being more likely to be abused than Schedule III. The addition of naloxone makes sure people do not inject it. This would precipitate rapid withdrawal and be very unpleasant. 

Wow... I'm so hesitant to make a judgement on this, but... I'm pretty sure this stuff is working!!! I just feel...normal? Ha, well I don't feel like crying anyway! I feel like it was a little "stronger" the first few days, but it's still better than I was... and I'm not even at a full dose yet! Ahah!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, climber47 said:

Wow... I'm so hesitant to make a judgement on this, but... I'm pretty sure this stuff is working!!! I just feel...normal? Ha, well I don't feel like crying anyway! I feel like it was a little "stronger" the first few days, but it's still better than I was... and I'm not even at a full dose yet! Ahah!!!!

Thanks for posting an update!  I am glad it is working (knock on wood that it will continue to do so) out for you.  It did work quick for you ... you started it only a week ago.

FWIW ... if the med seems like it is starting to not work, don't give up ... it may just be that the med just needs a little more time to regulate in your system.  You know like how it can take 6-8 weeks for a med to fully work?  I'd definitely give it time if this happens.

13 hours ago, climber47 said:

I'm glad it's helping you. You certainly have been suffering and need for things to break in your direction finally. I hope it keeps up!

Taking suboxone is basically like taking vicodin, percocet, etc (I've taken all of them). Opiates/ opioids should eliminate/ curb depression for most people, which is why I have been addicted to them at various points in time (I am treatment-resistant). I just felt "normal" like the OP said. I wasn't necessarily trying to get "high". I just wanted to get rid of the anxiety and depression. I just felt like I could function like anybody else. I felt alive. So, I know for a fact that suboxone would bring me out of depression, but I would be scared to build up a tolerance and it's really hard to stop taking it. But if I had a doctor who would prescribe it, I might consider trying it. I guess anything is better than killing yourself.

Yes it's similar, it targets some different receptors in addition to the ones regular opiates target, that has something to do with preventing tolerance according to my pdoc, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

ive had the same issue with opiates, I've always had to be very careful with them because they DO make me feel better... I'm almost surprised I never got addicted. 

I wish I responded to traditional antidepressants but I just don't :( after 10+ years of sheer misery, I may have finally found relief, so I'll take it in whatever form I can get it!!

so far this is even better than I could have hoped! No side effects, and even though it's supposed to be sedating if anything, I actually find it slightly activating...and it even curbs my appetite! If it gave me a little more motivation it would be a miracle drug, but it's already pretty close in my book!

On 3/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, Iceberg said:

Did anyone ever talk to you about ECT for breakthrough episodes? 

Not sure what you mean by breakthrough episodes, but yes my last several pdocs have mentioned it; I've definitely considered it but considering I'd need a lot of support for that, I'm trying to wait a bit, my parents are moving closer to help me in general but that won't be for about 6 months... meanwhile I was still hoping to find a med solution!