CrazyBoards.org

May seem like a silly question, but how do you know what is just water retention and what is actual weight/fat gain?

If most of your weight is contained in the belly/abdomen area - is this most likely water weight? I tend to expand there quickly so I'm assuming this is more a symptom of water retention. Is there a healthy way to get rid of this? Lamictal makes me very thirsty, yet i seem to be retaining alot of the liquids in my stomach area. It looks like a balloon :-(

I guess actual weight gain comes on more slowly? And would go to other areas - not just abdomen? Thanks for your thoughts!

I don't think this is a silly question, or any of them are.  Idk the answers to these questions either but I'd like to know them too.

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

If most of your weight is contained in the belly/abdomen area - is this most likely water weight?

IMO only ... I think the belly weight is more fat than water.  However, I think it depends on if there are other factors involved, ie other diagnoses (medical ones) or other meds you are on (I think steroids might add water weight) or something where any med causes weight gain.  That weight gain might be water weight all over (evened out) in your body, but for me at least it is hard to tell.  And then maybe it is "just" fat.

Either way, any weight gain I hate!

Is there a healthy way to get rid of this?

I don't know.

I guess actual weight gain comes on more slowly? And would go to other areas - not just abdomen? Thanks for your thoughts!

When the weight gain happens, it does spread out to other areas of the body (dietitian told me this).  But IMO, when there is a lot of processed food/sugar/etc in your diet, the fat mostly ends up mostly (but not all) in the abdomen area.

For me, I eat junk frequently and it has caused belly fat on me.  And it is so much harder to lose the weight than when gaining it.

I just found this article:

https://authoritynutrition.com/12-causes-of-belly-fat-gain/

and I think it is a good guideline.

Edited by melissaw72