CrazyBoards.org

Lost 11 lbs on the flu... gained it all back?

SO I got the flu really bad a few weeks ago. I couldn't keep anything down so I couldn't even drink enough water for my lithium. I ended up losing 11 lbs in one week. Then I weighed myself a week later and I gained 14 lbs! Do you think it was just rebounding back from the flu, or the lithium having something to do with this? I'm going to really need to exercise hard if it's the lithium, otherwise I can just not eat again. lol

Lithium can cause weight gain in some people, but it's usually not a large gain.

This is just my guess as to what happened.......A good portion of the weight you lost when you had the flu was probably just due to dehydration, from not drinking enough fluids for your lithium, and maybe a small fat loss from not eating.

When you started eating and drinking normally again, the extra few pounds that were added, is probably just water weight.........However, I can't be totally sure......

I would suggest just keeping an eye on the scale, and if you keep gaining weight, and are uncomfortable about it, let your pdoc know.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

9 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

This is just my guess as to what happened.......A good portion of the weight you lost when you had the flu was probably just due to dehydration, from not drinking enough fluids for your lithium, and maybe a small fat loss from not eating.

I agree that a good part of it was from the dehydration and lack of fluids ... and when you were better and eating more, you gained back that water weight.