CrazyBoards.org

Hi there,

Anyone here try haloperidol to control OCD symptoms? If so how did things work out? I know everyone is different, I would just like to get a general picture. Truth be told, I'm pretty nervous because someone once told me about what a horrible drug it was and how it makes you kind of psychotic. Eek. However, my Pdoc is putting me on a very low dose (1-2mg daily.)

Any comments would be of big help.

Thanks,

Poem

It's good to hear that your psychiatrist is thinking outside the box to try to get you some relief from your OCD. No, haloperidol will not make you psychotic. It is, in fact, an antipsychotic that is tried and true. It got a bad rap because years ago they would prescribe huge doses (100 mg) which they later found out wasn't necessary for the med to be effective. But you are on a low dose by any measure so I wouldn't worry about all the bad stuff you hear. There are horrible things written about every psych med out there. I hope it helps you with your OCD!

I am going to move this to the antipsychotic board because you might get more answers there. After all, this thread is about a med.

Thanks jt07,

Good to hear. I hope the med helps, too. My Pdoc does not want to put me on any SSRI's again, due to my initial Prozac mania. And a lot of antipsychotics made me gain WAY too much weight, amongst other things. My dose is actually 2-4 mg  a day. Took some last night and I was up until 5am. Ugh. No sedative qualities for me. That was one thing the Pdoc thought might help with my chronic insomnia. Oh well. I just better become a ritualistic coffee drinker and drink even more water to make up for it and my lithium. Lol.

Poem