CrazyBoards.org

Understanding Conversations

I have a difficult time following conversation, especially if there are many people talking or it's a fast paced discussion. I understand the words but not the point. A doctor has mentioned this to me recently. I guess I have always noticed I feel bored or confused when a lot of people are talking.

People don't usually direct comments at me in groups because I don't answer in the right way to keep the conversation rolling. Sometimes it's kind of sad for me. Is this a common symptom of bipolar disorder? Or do I maybe have something else going on? 

I would be okay with taking an evaluation. I would like to know if I did have autism, although I really don't know much of anything about it. I have a new doctor who may be able to give me some input. She is at a very respectable hospital, and I'm looking forward to seeing her. I have been seeing someone for years who was less than receptive to my questions. 

Edited by paintedsky

7 hours ago, paintedsky said:

I have a difficult time following conversation, especially if there are many people talking or it's a fast paced discussion. I understand the words but not the point.

I have this problem all the time too.  It is like word salad coming out of everyone's mouth and my degree of comprehension is almost zero.  I need people to repeat back to me what they just said to me.  Probably why I try to stay out of conversations as much as possible (unless the other person/people can carry the conversation).

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

I have this problem all the time too.  It is like word salad coming out of everyone's mouth and my degree of comprehension is almost zero.  I need people to repeat back to me what they just said to me.  Probably why I try to stay out of conversations as much as possible (unless the other person/people can carry the conversation).

I'm the same. I also have trouble following my own conversations. Many times I've had to stop mid sentence because I completely lose track of what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, dazed and confused said:

Many times I've had to stop mid sentence because I completely lose track of what I'm saying.

I hate when this happens!  It is like my mind goes completely blank mid-sentence and it gets embarrassing if/when it happens more than once.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paintedsky said:

Word salad is so funny, Melissaw72. In a group it's as if I am listening to people to speak a language that I don't know well. I am only catching words here and there. Suddenly everyone is laughing and I'm thinking what? 

I completely know what you mean!  It feels like I blacked out or something (even though I physically didn't ... just my mind went blank and wandered too far to remember what was being said).  And then all of a sudden people are laughing and here I am pretending to laugh (well smiling and laughing a little). 

Then the worst part comes when someone asks a question directly that is related to what people are laughing about ... and then on the spot I have to think of something that makes sense.

In the past year and a half or so I have often been having trouble understanding both English itself (it sounds like people speaking gobbledegook that does not sound like a real language) and that I cannot understand whole conversations (I can understand the individual words and that they form grammatical English sentences, but I cannot grasp the point of what is being said). The former my pdoc thinks is a psychotic thing, whereas for the latter I have not gotten any clear opinion from my pdoc or tdoc as to what it is. It probably is not a mood thing, since it does occur while my mood is stable.

Edited by Closure

I have trouble, but it is different. I space out a bit and miss part of the conversation, so it is hard to follow. But, I also lose track of what I was trying to say (what was the point). Anyways, I have the same dx sza bipolar type, and I have trouble following conversations. 

There are times when I come away going, I know the words but not what they meant in that context, too. Not so much word salad, though.

My understanding is it is unusual to be dx with an autism spectrum disorder and a thought disorder because some symptoms overlap. (There are people with both).

• 1 month later...

Really awkward moment recently where I was visiting with two people chatting and one asked me my opinion in an attempt to include me. I said oh I got distracted, which was somewhat true. I explained I wasn't really following. Unfortunately then the story was retold multiple times to me, I just had no clue. The worst part was the look on my friend's face, sympathetic yet frustrated. I had to say I don't understand laughing nervously.

there is a comic Charlie Brown where the teacher's voice is a musical noise.  By the end that's what I was hearing with some random words thrown in. Good grief.